Kohler V Twin engine fuel issues

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I recently changed from a boat gas tank to a home-made fuel tap.

With a full tank of gas on the van (2011 E250) the Kohler starts and runs great. After running for a couple of hours, I idled down to dump the waste tank and it spluttered, died and failed to start.

I have an in-line check valve and in-line fuel filter. I sucked gas through the check valve, and it's fine. Took the filter out and connected direct to the fuel pump, ran fine.

Next day I replaced the fuel filter, and it ran fine all day.

The following day, topped off gas tank, and same issue, ran fine for a couple of hours, idle down, splutters and died.

I removed the gas cap, then I replaced the fuel filter again on-site and it started ok, BUT both the old filters seem fine?

Is there something else I'm missing?
Is my fuel tap too close to the bottom of the tank and pulling up crap. (But why were the filters clear?)
Does opening the fuel filler cap do anything? Is there a vacuum being created in the tank when it's full?

I also have a 12v aux fuel pump that I haven't installed, should I use that?

Any input would be appreciated!

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Also, you don't want the fuel tap going too far down in your tank, but not for debris reasons. If you happen to run ALL the fuel out of the tank then you are stuck. Commercial fuel taps only siphon down to about 1/4 tank to ensure you always have enough fuel to still start the van and get to a gas station.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Also, you don't want the fuel tap going too far down in your tank, but not for debris reasons. If you happen to run ALL the fuel out of the tank then you are stuck. Commercial fuel taps only siphon down to about 1/4 tank to ensure you always have enough fuel to still start the van and get to a gas station.
Yup, when I measured the tubing I guesstimated that it was about 1 1/2" from the bottom, which is why I was doubting the fuel filters were getting clogged.
I'm installing the fuel pump tomorrow, that should fix my problem!

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
is the fuel pump pushing more or pulling more?

some can push fuel well but dont pull it well so they need to be closer to the tank, sounds like its primed and running fine but then loses its prime and cant reprime itself.

I would try moving it closer to the fuel

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
is the fuel pump pushing more or pulling more?

some can push fuel well but dont pull it well so they need to be closer to the tank, sounds like its primed and running fine but then loses its prime and cant reprime itself.

I would try moving it closer to the fuel
The mechanical pump on the engine was struggling to pull the gas up.

Sent from my EVO using TMF Forums mobile app