Keeping my prespray hot

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
If I was only half as rich as many on the forum I’d retire :)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
you can always turn the heat down, we dont run those high temps on jobs that dont need it.

but personally even medium soil cleans much better at 200 than 160, by better I mean more efficiently

I cant even begin to tell you how many customers "holy shit" at the effect of the steam, "the last guy definitely didnt have that"

its a show sure, I can clean fine a with rug dr or a bissel.. I can also clean fine with a regular van but we choose this equipment and big box trucks because it has a very positive impact on customers.

we push these things heavily in our marketing and its apart of our brand, it sets us apart from the 200+ other guys in our city running a chevy express, its part why we can demand .50 cents per square foot.

other guys are charging $200 for what we do for $450, yet our customers are our biggest advertising and theirs cant even remember their name, and they keep running cheap deals like the rest of the pack.

Dont under estimate the impact you make on every job, every little thing counts even if your customers dont actually verbally tell you. Having every thing you bring in the house branded and clean looking all showing your labels will set you apart big time.
That is all great advice, but a couple of these guys are just starting out, they are not on that level yet. They don't have much time behind the wand, or an unlimited budget, yet they are getting some pretty solid advice for the equipment they are using currently. With time they can get there, that's for sure.

I agree with you on the wow factor. I have always focused on the things that the competition isn't skilled enough to do, repairs, dyeing, fine furnishings, rugs, real pet treatments... Those always extra modalities get you, the wow factor, referrals and nobody is concerned about price then.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Rug Dying classes are in the list this year. That’s a awesome skill.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’ve been a business decades working for myself. Smoke and Mirrors honestly is valuable when backed up by skill. Not sure where my equipment falls. I use a Sebo, Kirby, Orbot Vibe, Host, Dang Pro, my trucks massive, my 8.4 ETM 6.6 booster works perfectly. So at what point does someone become successful?

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
That is all great advice, but a couple of these guys are just starting out, they are not on that level yet. They don't have much time behind the wand, or an unlimited budget, yet they are getting some pretty solid advice for the equipment they are using currently. With time they can get there, that's for sure.

I agree with you on the wow factor. I have always focused on the things that the competition isn't skilled enough to do, repairs, dyeing, fine furnishings, rugs, real pet treatments... Those always extra modalities get you, the wow factor, referrals and nobody is concerned about price then.
You're 100% right jim having the right modalities really sets you apart more than anything.
If something is stained beyond regular cleaning and you can fix it. really sets you company apart from the competitor. I charged a premium compared to my competition and yet I'm busier than them and I don't have to advertise. The clients I have I know they can rely on the fact I can fix any issue they have and it makes you feel really good.
To be able to help someone in a bad situation where their dog decided to turn it itself inside out and they have a mess and not sure how to get the smell out or they took in a stray cat and no one's been able to get the smell gone and then you show up and fix it. They tell everyone on the block.
My barber always saysYou do a good job for somebody they might tell three people. But you do a bad job and they're going to tell 20.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
ill let u know if one of my LGs goes up for sale, we have a #3 in one truck and might be selling that machine and getting an everest or possibly just another relia built.

Kaseys new relia builts are looking really good for a brand new 45 blower TM under 10k. Just as bare bones simple as a judson with more vac power

Attachments

Reactions: Jim Davisson

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall

that I completely understand and is actually why I even discuss this with them.

Its easy to start with a portable then continually chase upgrades which quickly can equal the cost of a good quality, very bulletproof reliable gas machine that will imo serve them much better.

definitely not advocating for $1k/ month payments on a 30k machine, were talking around $7500-8k which will last 15 years easily and make that much or plenty more every month.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Not everyone’s business plans the same. But your sentiment of not wanting to be the guy who can’t afford pre spray is certainly valid to me. One reason I’ve been successful at nearly every business I’ve had was no matter what I always appear professional. Speak professionally. Always have some form of eye candy. But at the end it always succeeded because of skill and education. I still stay up nearly every night studying, learning, reading, and such. Not always because it’s practical so I can have a informed conversation with clients. I only work in things I have a passion about.
One the other side of flip coin there’s often not one way that’s correct. A man has to be able to discern.
I’ve said a zillion times however and yet have had not one person make me think even remotely that a ETM is not way more flexible then a gas TM.
During freezing conditions, I take it in... no comcerns
During massive hose runs, I take in inside the clients house.
I’m good for 150ft, and my carpets dry fast.
If I go over that my booster is easy to use.
My truck crashed, I’m in business the next day.
My machine can go to places a TM can’t.
I can work in any building securely.
I’ve never hurt myself working on my ETM.
My machine requires the smallest easiest maintenance.
I have no payments and own it all outright.

There’s yet a single arguement except my truck mount is awesome that grabs my attention. Nobodies delusional to think most ETMs have less power then most TMs. But 2+2=4 so does 3+1, we get to the same place.
Again, maybe in commercial there’s a different need. I don’t do much. But 1st day on the job or 100 yrs on the job nobody can convince me a Gas TM is the only method that provides a good carpet cleaning.

You blast with high heat. I take my time and crb every single job.
My clients always say they have never seen anyone use a crb. They are always impressed. So maybe a TM is impressive I certainly think some of them are. I love technology. But nothing at all said yet makes me think I need a TM. I’m happy I’ve gone this way. It’s allowed me to buy diverse equipment to do HWE, VLM, encap, dry compound, and more.

Reactions: ACP and Ymetimme

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
right on man, if you become full time and are producing 500-600+ jobs a year at a great job average you might have a different opinion down the road.

Im not knocking your route, but do understand many many have had the same mindset

I was so against running a gas machine, just like you about 10yrs ago.

carpet cleaning can be a tough business brother, anything you can do to make life easier is highly recommended thats all. cheers

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Trust me I don’t mind knowledge at all. I used to own a company that we did several million dollars in sales per year. I walked away from it. Literally as in I’m done and wanted nothing.
I own my home and 5 acres. Have no electric bills. We operate in a tiny market. If I start getting 500-600 carpet jobs a year I’ll call you and you can buy me out cheap. Lol my heart stopped 8 years ago I’m 45 and rather live.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not opposed to making money heck it’s why we all do this. But there’s far more important things in my life then chasing a buck.
Trust me I don’t think anyone should choose the things I have. I’ve regretted a ton. But living simple these day. Doing one or two jobs, I’m happy. One thing I don’t know if you know I also own a fairly successful housekeeping company as well. So neither has to be crazy busy to survive with such few bills. I volunteer on the weekends, and sometimes during the week. I’ve been trying to give lately more then take. When I was younger I needed a lot more, or so I thought. Now I’m content with little. Some days we have excess and we enjoy it all the more. Other days we have hardly anything. If I died tomorrow Id hope others could say I served my God to the best of my ability, I changed where I saw need, I loved my family so much I made massive changes to spend time with them, and I was generous towards others. Atleast I’d hope that’s what would be said. If not and they said he was a bum idiot, I’d never know lol

Reactions: Select and ACP

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Did want to add I’ve never said or will say I won’t get a Gas TM. To me I’m not a extremist in anyway, if I find my needs change I’ll buy one!
My argument is the same, a ETM has its place. If my needs change and I require much higher performance. I’m not a block head to say I’d never buy one. I’ll buy whatever my requirements are to move forward. If that day comes I’ll be excited trust me. And I’ll have my ETM for work not able to be done by a TM. I don’t aspire 500-600 jobs a year. But when my comfortable work load exceeds my Jaguar, I’d be foolish not to buy one. As I need tools I don’t mind buying them. My route has allowed me a lot of equipment for a fraction of the price.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Did want to add I’ve never said or will say I won’t get a Gas TM. To me I’m not a extremist in anyway, if I find my needs change I’ll buy one!
My argument is the same, a ETM has its place. If my needs change and I require much higher performance. I’d not a block head to say I’d never buy one. I’ll buy whatever my requirements are to move forward. If that day comes I’ll be excited trust me. And I’ll have my ETM for work not able to be done by a TM
Having both is really nice lol that's what I recommend but I'm a spoiled brat lol

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Oh bro for sure! I’ll never argue “I’ll never” I can totally see how some need more ability to speed it up. If and when I get there you know darn well I’m on it. Heck in a year I went from a Scion XB with a portable, to a Jaguar 8.4 in a new 6.0L cutaway!

Reactions: ACP and Ymetimme

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
For myself I don’t think heat is a reason to get a TM. I want heat but don’t need 200+ degrees. I’ve read every arguement and for myself know heat is a positive. Gets chemicals reacting, helps remove grease, and such. I’ve read people away cold water is just as effective yet my lame brain can’t see or fathom why. But sure don’t feel I need a truck mount just for heat. Keep in mind I don’t so much Tile, Grout, or Commercial
I think I read you may have gotten a Jaguar 8.4.

Did you get also get a heater for it? If so/not how's the experience so far? Have you been able to leave it on the truck and do your jobs?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
The jag is ultra flexible. Yea people will get angry after mths of use there’s a few things I’d personally change but all in all Ed V calls it a work horse and that’s exactly what it is.
Heat... heats honestly a issue for any ETM owner. I do mostly high end vacation homes where nobodies home. So I just use the clients hot water. If not a bucket heater works fine, I over come tons of heat by great agitation. I’m a CRB fan. I CRB every job often twice even.
I can leave the jag in my truck. I have a 10000 watt dual fuel generator. But normally plug into clients homes.
I personally like flexibility. So I can carry water, or use the clients. I can use it in the truck, I can use it outside the truck. So many people here seem to work in markets where the client seems ok with keeping the door open. Not here. I’m often asked to secure the home. So I bring it inside.
While again there’s a few things I’d change on my 8.4 jag it’s so flexible it’s great for my needs. Works endlessly.
Heat, well again that’s a issue we all have to overcome. But none of my jobs require massive high heat.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The jag is ultra flexible. Yea people will get angry after mths of use there’s a few things I’d personally change but all in all Ed V calls it a work horse and that’s exactly what it is.
Heat... heats honestly a issue for any ETM owner. I do mostly high end vacation homes where nobodies home. So I just use the clients hot water. If not a bucket heater works fine, I over come tons of heat by great agitation. I’m a CRB fan. I CRB every job often twice even.
I can leave the jag in my truck. I have a 10000 watt dual fuel generator. But normally plug into clients homes.
I personally like flexibility. So I can carry water, or use the clients. I can use it in the truck, I can use it outside the truck. So many people here seem to work in markets where the client seems ok with keeping the door open. Not here. I’m often asked to secure the home. So I bring it inside.
While again there’s a few things I’d change on my 8.4 jag it’s so flexible it’s great for my needs. Works endlessly.
Heat, well again that’s a issue we all have to overcome. But none of my jobs require massive high heat.
Awesome, sounds like the Jag is a great addition. I would really like to start with the 8.4 as well.

Interestingly enough, I too became (in my mind) a CRB fan as well. I see it as a way to offset the lack of heat I have starting out (if I decide to not buy something like the little giant straight away) by increasing the amount of agitation I do. I also seem to think residential customers might be at least slightly impressed with the CRB tool as they might be less likely to have seen it before. Especially if I can show them a lot of dirt that came out of their carpet even after a good pre vacuuming. Not to mention the CRB could be very useful in some commercial jobs as well.