Keeping my prespray hot | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Keeping my prespray hot

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
what ive found is that a lot of the CFM numbers, specs, measuring etc always looks better on paper but rarely actually transfers to real life.

you could look at the stats of my etm based on the vac motors or try a number of different ways of measuring the cfm but in reality its not even close to the vacuum of a 45 blower, with a booster.

Ive ran that ETM, dual 3 stage with dual 3 stage booster (rotovac CFX) thats 4 3 stage vac motors... still noticeably weaker than a 45 blower

specs on TMs from the big manufacturers tend to be off even, they will claim dual wand machine or 500cfm etc.

theres different ways to measure cfm and people tend to debate them quite a bit in the industry.
Electric is all torque if you have the right equipment. But yes your truck mount looks very nice!!

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
There’s endless debates on the math.... truth be told I can care less about the math and let the smart guys argue over them. And let the engineers figure it out.
If my jobs get clean, dry quickly, then I’m happy. Nobody ever questions is the avg ETM less powerful then the AVG gas TM. But if the “winning hand” is a full house or 5 queens you won.
Between great technique, great product selection, patience and my ETM I can even the score with most anyone in my market.
One of my biggest competitors advertises as having a “powerful” TM. And daily he seems to do more jobs then this guy new to the market. Yet one in 5 tells me he left the carpets soaked, smelly and terrible.
My biggest issue is heat.
My Jaguar 8.4 needs no maintenance, its rock solid.
I’m good at 200ft. If not I have a CA Booster. It stays in the truck when I want. But if I want to blow away a TM at big hose lengths I can take my machine out and use any short hose run even when hundreds of feet away from the truck. It’s flexible, and moveable.
My van was totalled, next day it’s in a mini van. Bungee cord install.
I want nobody to think, I’m not saying I will never need or want a gas TM. One day if my circumstance change maybe I will. If I found a $500 gas TM right now that ran perfectly I’d pass. Only because I don’t honestly need it. Yesterday I installed my Generator in my truck, and ran a large vent to the outside. My clients would have no clue if I’m using a $80,000 TM or a ETM. A tiny Gas TM has no real huge advantages against mine until you get into some big machines.
I still stick to heats my biggest issue, and will keep reading about how someone’s gas TM needs major repair, while never reading anything about anyone’s ETM having serious issues.
Edit (anyone’s Cross American Jaguars having issues atleast)

Last edited:
Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Alright guys, did some testing today and here's what I found:
These tests where with 25 foot of hose.
I also got a chance to really watch my sprays and I "think" even at 300 psi I'm spraying out way too much water.
And I took each jet out of my pmf wand and the screens had a ton of rusty debris in them!!! Where the hell is that coming from????? The heater maybe???
Alright 25 ft. Hose test at 300 psi. Water added to tank was 60 percent degrees with my wife's expensive latte thermometer. If she finds out I'm toast man!!!! Its a expensive calibrated thermometer.
So at 60 degrees my heater warms it up to about 80 degrees....SHIT!!!!
Now, when I use hot water in the tank at 120 degrees my water comes out of my sprays @ 25ft. My water comes out at 110-115 degrees..
This heater cannot keep up with the flow it seems. It helps yes, but keeping up with alot of water does not seem to give it enough contact time to heat it fully.
But you where right jim, adding hot water makes a huge difference. And it seems to stay pretty hot in the tank too. And I get steam coming out from the bottom of the wand at 110-115 degrees. It may be at 120. With the latte thermometer I have to cup my hand up to the jet and hold it there.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I don’t have a little giant. But you gotta start out with hot water. If I use cold it’s coming out luke warm. I’m sure these little giant guys can help more

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
A couple more notes. My water heater was set to energy saver mode. I could crank it up to get quite a bit hotter as well.
Thinking I could get 200 deg. But i read above 160 is not good for your pump seals. Is that true?

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
I'm happy and disgusted at the same time....lol.
Happy I can add got water to the tank it it pretty much keeps it there at 25ft.
But disappointed that with cold tap water added to the tank it's only heating it about 25 degrees unless i let it set. And I cannot do that.
Time is money!!!

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Note for mytee heater: its recommended for every wet pass, you need 2 dri passes to maintain heat!!
I dont think that will cut it either.
Solution for now: add hot water to my tank. Use heater as well and monitor water temps for now.
I need to crank up my water he as ther to high and see what kind of water temps I get. But then I dont want to jack my pumps seals either.
If I can get to 160 from water heater I may be golden. I.may be able to hold that temp with my 2000 watt In line heater.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea the mytee has a really nice case. But really doesn’t pump up the heat as much as I’d like. May have to go diesel. Should say however two dry passes is a good idea with short strokes as far as I’ve learned and observed it’s a great technique.

Reactions: Ymetimme

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Why not just add in a bucket heater

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Curious why people don’t use LP Tankless Heaters?

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
not hot enough, only 130 or so

rather than bother with so many powercords and other bs why on earth would you not just get a little giant... just save the money and buy one, there are cleaners still using 25yr old little giants

youll have endless heat on tap and then maybe you wont burn someones house down plugging in 8000watts lol... dont forget that not everyones wiring in their house is sound.

talk to an electrician, they will tell you countless horror stories about things they find

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’d think 130 would be ideal. That going into a external heater you’d be at 160-165.
I do agree a new heater is definately in my future. I have to pay off some critical bills as I’ve racked up a few recently. So this second cash is tight. But within 6 mths I’m not monkeying around anymore I’ll be busting a move on a real heater myself. Just can’t justify taking on more debt till I get some matter settled first.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
ill let u know if one of my LGs goes up for sale, we have a #3 in one truck and might be selling that machine and getting an everest or possibly just another relia built.

Kaseys new relia builts are looking really good for a brand new 45 blower TM under 10k. Just as bare bones simple as a judson with more vac power

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I've explored it quite a bit they frankly will not hold up to the pressure and like to go boom lol. A little giant heater essentially is a simplified tankless water heater designed hold up to the pressure in flow of carpet cleaning and washing

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea the copper tubing seems to be very thin. Living off grid I’ve used one for years.
@ACP cool keep me in mind. I know they make a few different types and I don’t know which ones which, but I will be investing in heat before long. My jobs are all residential so I often have access to the clients hot water. But I want to be self sufficient.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
In most residential situations with the right chemistry you really don't need high heat. If you are doing just one dry stroke the carpet isn't going to dry any faster because you just removed what little heat the few seconds of the hot solution gave it. If you have around 150° you can clean just fine. As far as cleaning speed is concerned, heat is no where near as important as flow. When your recovery can support it, try stepping up your flow game. When you get to 1.5 GPM+ through the wand you will see your speed really pick up. All portables, most TM's and most wands have terrible flow off the showroom floor. Don't take my word for it, try it and see for yourself.