Karastan bleeder - odd

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Got a call today from a fellow cleaner. He cleaned an old Karastan onsite (I have told him not to do this 100 times). These rugs are pretty much bullet proof. Rug is old - 40 years? After cleaning parts of the rug bleed and ran. My thought is old dog/cat pee? No smell as far as he can tell. Thoughts? I haven't seen it although I am going over to do a stretch at some point. This is actaully part 1 of his issues on this job - part 2 will be in carpet cleaning. BTW - he is not a new cleaner - 20 years in the biz.
@Scott W

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Get some pictures from him for us to see.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Got a call today from a fellow cleaner. He cleaned an old Karastan onsite (I have told him not to do this 100 times). These rugs are pretty much bullet proof. Rug is old - 40 years? After cleaning parts of the rug bleed and ran. My thought is old dog/cat pee? No smell as far as he can tell. Thoughts? I haven't seen it although I am going over to do a stretch at some point. This is actaully part 1 of his issues on this job - part 2 will be in carpet cleaning. BTW - he is not a new cleaner - 20 years in the biz.
@Scott W
I agree with your first thought. Pet urine stains are usually responsible for bleeding when a usually non-bleeding rug does bleed.

Other possible explanations:
  • Use of high alkaline cleaners either on this cleaning or previous cleaning. Even a slightly high alkalinity residue left in the rug for years will eventually cause bleeding.
  • The rug may have spent a lot of time in the sunlight if it was in front of a window, especially with southern exposure, for many of those 40 years.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
You are right in Doug Heiferman's area. He has a new rug cleaning plant. (Built jointly with the local DKI franchisee, I think.) He can help with correcting this if you contact him. He is one Facebook frequently.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
You are right in Doug Heiferman's area. He has a new rug cleaning plant. (Built jointly with the local DKI franchisee, I think.) He can help with correcting this if you contact him. He is one Facebook frequently.
Yep - I know doug well - so does the guy that cleaned the rug. Thought his plant was in Long Island though.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Yep - I know doug well - so does the guy that cleaned the rug. Thought his plant was in Long Island though.
Doug recently turned over his Long Island plant, Running Water to his in-laws. He is either building or just finished building a plant near his home.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Doug recently turned over his Long Island plant, Running Water to his in-laws. He is either building or just finished building a plant near his home.
OK - great. I know his crazy in laws as well!

Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I’m no rug expert but most of these rugs bleed when I clean them. I expect to start the cleaning process with a dye loc bath.

alexus

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2014
Real Name
Aleksandr Davidov
I’m no rug expert but most of these rugs bleed when I clean them. I expect to start the cleaning process with a dye loc bath.
Dye loc will not stop bleeding

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States