Jute Rug?! No idea how to clean! Help Please

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
Hello Guys!

We just got a Jute Rug in and are stumped on how to clean in-plant?!

We've read Don't wet, it shrinks, browning, clean by extraction method, DON'T USE extraction method?

Would Prochem fine fabric prespray or chemspec oriental rug shampoo with an all fiber rinse, using hose down, CRB and truck mount extraction do it?

Soo confusing! Any feedback would be IMMENSELY APPRECIATED.

Thank you Guys in advance.

Reactions: Seaside

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
I only use compound for jute.
Thanks for the reply! We've heard that also.

We just don't feel dry compound would do it! Not huge fans, as it doesn't feel like a deep clean.

So we were just curious if any folk use any other method they see works well...

If we don't have any other alternative, will do, thank you! :)

Tanya Jarrett

Apr 18, 2012
A, A
Real Name
Tanya Jarrett
Business Location
United States
How about this: I’m not bold enough to try any other method. I’ve seen some folks who have used more moisture and dried it quickly, but I don’t have the courage.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare
Sep 7, 2013
Jute is disposable. Its a rug made out of crappy rope.

If I were you, I'd dry vac it and try to spot clean, charge less than an actual area rug cleaning ...then turn down jute rug cleaning in the future. Good luck.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
How have you communicated with the customer?
Is the customer aware of the cons of HWE on jute?

If the customer is aware and you have explained all disclaimers
then clean as usual, vacuum, apply anti tannin, or
Use Pros choice steps 1,2,3
clean using crb with soft brushes and
hang to dry, do not lay flat to dry.

I know better than to clean a jute BUT if the client insists then as long as they are fully aware and understands everything and signs waiver then I do what im good at.

I will charge $5-6.5 per sq ft (smaller than 8x10 is at $6.50)
I need to charge a lot to relax me and make it worth my time and to overcome my stress.

I have also done Host ("dry"/Sponges) on jute before at $3.00 per sq ft

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Until you have some training to understand how the rug was constructed, the borders, binding, etc. the safe method is to stay dry. Dust by vibrating it upside down and/or vacuuming. Clean with Dry Compound and a Brush Pro.

If you want to clean jute rugs and gain some confidence, register for the hands-on rug washing class taught by Doug Heiferman and myself. The last one will be May 14th - 16th in Orlando FL.

You can even bring that or another problem rug to clean in class under the guidance of the instructors.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The ONLY company I have in this area who handles jute rugs does indeed offer wet cleaning - however, they are experts in the field, have been doing this for decades, and also do a tea wash afterward to even out any discoloration from washing. I am not 100% sure of their process.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Dry Compound cleaning with a OP machine does work well on jute when done slowly. It’s safe and easy to do. I’ve seen trashed jute full of grease improve a ton with dry compound.

Reactions: Scott W

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
I did a jute blend a view weeks ago. It was only like 5 or 10% so probably not a fair comparison to a full jute rug. I almost turned it down too but custy said they didn't care if it got ruined. Anyways I cleaned it like a normal rug, cold water, full rinse, used robs rug smack at a low dose. Turned out good, got rid of dog stains and smells. Biggest thing I think is getting it to dry quick and good. If you don't get enough of the water out before you hang it then it will probably stretch out of shape a little bit too. And its sooo heavy when wet. Once it was all dry I hit it with a bonnet pad and one of bonnet pros chems, just to brighten a little bit more and add smell. Customer loved it.

Reactions: sbsscn

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Break this down to its simplest form:

Jute is a plant fiber, much like seagrass or hemp. It is strong, pliable, and renewable.

It is also made entirely of cellulosic material, which means it is susceptible to molding, bleaching, stiffening, loss of dimensional stability, and staining. Any wet cleaning, even if it is dried quickly, will have the potential to do damage, as will strongly alkaline chemicals.

Urine and vomit can do irreversible damage to the fibers before cleaning begins, which can mistakenly be blamed on the cleaner if it's not pointed out ahead of time.

Think of it as Haititan cotton's burly, homely big brother. Dry soils are fairly easy to remove because jute is typically woven in thick braided strands (rather than in the finer tight yarns found in other rug materials like wool), and soils tend to "park" on the outsides of the bundles rather than working their way in. But wet spills are difficult to deal with once they penetrate, and most jute rugs with wet soil issues - particularly waste soils like urine, vomit, and feces - are considered "disposable" by both cleaners and manufacturers alike.

In other words, can it be cleaned? Certainly. Virtually anything can be cleaned. But the cost of cleaning it in ways which maximize improvement and minimize damage is great enough that replacement is often less expensive.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Slow dry compound cleaning works much of the time. I do not recommend the Host Compound, but the Brush Pro Compound. I don’t get the same result from the Host stuff. I learned this cleaning method first in Scott Ws class. A fellow cleaner brought a trashed jute rug we all cleaned. My son even helped clean it. Jute is easy given the right tools. Since I was able to clean another jute rug same method. Wasn’t as trashed as the one in school but came out really well.