Jute, Rayon , Cotton ........ YIKES !!!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Picked this up tonight . Yeah , I know , gasoline and a match !! Got some ideas from the search here but any experience with something like this ?? Any help is greatly appreciated !!
All the Best , Ed

Attachments

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Interesting how much soil and fibers the Bissel pulled up . Gave it a North /South , East/West slow vacuum . Lots of spots since this is the runner in front of a kitchen sink . Hmmm . I'll post some pictures as I go along .
All the Best , Ed

Attachments

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
There are two potential issues with this rug.
  1. The border will tend to shrink more than the body of the rug. The edges will try to curl up.
  2. Browning from the cellulosic content.
I would suggest cleaning with minimal moisture. A Brush Pro and the Brush Pro Dry Compound would be best. You could also get the dry compound and brush it into the rug by hand if you don't own a Brush Pro.

Try a dry solvent such as Bridgepoint's Solvent Clean for the oily / greasy spots.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
So ......... What I learned .
1. Be prepared to FAIL . Which I did !!
2. These textiles are extremely fragile and even vacuuming causes fiber loss . Vacuuming with out brushes is better .
3. Don’t use a CRB . Used my Windsor Dri Matic on this rug and that was NOT pretty .
4. Hand shampooing may be the only way to clean these , if at all .
I used Capture and their spotting liquid which the label says is safe on wool . Wanting to be safe , I tested the spotter on rayon and cotton swabs with no issues . Proceeded to clean according to the directions with the Windsor . BAD MOVE . Stopped and started to use the Rug Renovator and experienced much the same fiber loss .
Spots are still there and in general this is a failure .
First time attempt and I learned from it .
All the Best , Ed BA3D376C-67D1-453A-8B20-C5FE00ADAE73.jpeg 959B4C81-44F4-42AB-A6F6-A889759B02F7.jpeg AB1635F7-7518-487B-AE5B-6EA0B3CC2884.jpeg DC9FBBB9-ADA8-488B-84E9-B0430E00D8FC.jpeg

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
So ......... What I learned .
1. Be prepared to FAIL . Which I did !!
2. These textiles are extremely fragile and even vacuuming causes fiber loss . Vacuuming with out brushes is better .
3. Don’t use a CRB . Used my Windsor Dri Matic on this rug and that was NOT pretty .
4. Hand shampooing may be the only way to clean these , if at all .
I used Capture and their spotting liquid which the label says is safe on wool . Wanting to be safe , I tested the spotter on rayon and cotton swabs with no issues . Proceeded to clean according to the directions with the Windsor . BAD MOVE . Stopped and started to use the Rug Renovator and experienced much the same fiber loss .
Spots are still there and in general this is a failure .
First time attempt and I learned from it .
All the Best , Ed View attachment 76926 View attachment 76927 View attachment 76928 View attachment 76929
Thanks, now I'll know what to do when I run into one of those! I'll run the other way! Seeing that 70% Jute, 25% Rayon, and 5% Cotton fiber content would have probably been enough to put me off even the attempt of cleaning it. I believe dry compound is the primary method recommended for something like that, but I'd wonder how much damage even that would do to it? I don't run into enough of those seriously problematic rugs to buy a Brush Pro. I might of been willing to try something like dry solvent on the spots followed by very light encap with bonnet only with the customers signed blessing. Otherwise, I don't need the money that bad. I am almost certain @SAA would do a hand shampoo on it which could be a viable option.