Just Starting Out | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Just Starting Out

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
The fact that you don't NEED to make $$ right away puts you in the drivers seat and IMO makes partnership not necessary. Additionally it allows you to charge accordingly higher prices and grow the business slowly the right way instead of pushing out a bunch of ads with 5 room specials. If I didn't have to make a profit right away when I started , I'd have been better off today.
I agree.
Although It woudnt be a partnership.Just the percentage I would pay him to run the business.
The business would still be mine.

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
Agreed Gary. I'd show up with about 10k and see where it goes from there.
They have it listed at $17,900 I tried offering $12,000 and they declined and came back at $15,000 and I came back at $13,000.
They said they needed $15,000 so I said call if they don't sell it.
But if they call I would go lower probably then.
But it does make the $3500 sound good.
But what im getting form most anyways on these responses is too pass on the Hydracat?

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
The downside of getting a cheap setup is if it breaks down.. which it will, it can get discouraging and make someone not want to stay in this industry. So careful if you go after cheap equipment.

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
The downside of getting a cheap setup is if it breaks down.. which it will, it can get discouraging and make someone not want to stay in this industry. So careful if you go after cheap equipment.
That for Sure.
You know there is another set up for sale which is this.
I'm selling a 2002 GMC Van 119,000 miles with a truck mount included great to start your own business I don't need it anymore it a White Magic truck mount with 4500 hours I just bought a new cat pump with a 1 yr guarantee I will also include the Prochem materials that I have ... Email me for more info and pictures ... Thanks
It is a White Magic 1200 direct drive.
Any input on direct drives?
I don't like the fact with if something is wrong with the van then u cant run the unit and the van has to stay running.We are in a hot part of the state which
im concerned about leaving the van running in 100 degree weather.
But im not the expert ...maybe they are good units.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
They have it listed at $17,900 I tried offering $12,000 and they declined and came back at $15,000 and I came back at $13,000.
They said they needed $15,000 so I said call if they don't sell it.
But if they call I would go lower probably then.
But it does make the $3500 sound good.
But what im getting form most anyways on these responses is too pass on the Hydracat?
Not the same as a cash offer. I agree with Rob.

whoises1

Dec 30, 2010
203 n wilson ave jefferson, wisconsin
www.amscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Eric Sapp
Business Location
United States
It can be done I built my business from nothing in fact I took out a loan for 5 g's to start my business I got my first job quit my job and went for it it has not been easy I have had to work my butt off for nothing for a long time lucky my wife is the bread winner in my family so we are doin fine last year that was not the case and all my profit went in to keeping our bills paid now 2 almost 3 years in and I am starting to put money in the bank it can be done but it aint a get rich quick thing it can be done with a cheap van/truckmount setup I know because mine was 4000 dollars but it won't be with out tons of work so if your willing to put the time in your gonna do fine but if you aint I would advise against it

Reactions: StevenB.

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
Take the advice you are given. Get something that will last. I was I the same boat and wish I listened to people on here. Currently I'm having an engine swap done because I chose the cheaper route. Whatever you do DON'T BUY A BOXXER 427.

maxjr

Aug 28, 2013
You can start out with a porti as I am. I literally have started with a loan from Azetec Financial forthe cost of my equipment. I did have a in, in the property management area, ad my wife is the broker in charge of a 1800 unit p/m company. She would talk about shoddy work of the carpet cleaners they were using, so I took the plunge. Doing ok, I work full time in law enforcement, at the county jail, in a neighboring county. I work a day/night rotating shift, 12 hr days, so I have 14 days off a month to grow my business. Hoping to be able to go full time in about a year . Heres pics of my set up.
Oh and pics of my version tmf claw

Sent from my SCH-I605 using TMF Forums mobile app

Attachments

maxjr

Aug 28, 2013
The picture of the house was a stanley steamer reclean. Thet left pet odor and other stains. I got it clean but got to go back tomorrow and see if the odor is gone. The owner has already told me im his cleaner now, anf he has another rental home. I got.the job with a Ultrafire light you guys recommended ! Thanks

whoises1

Dec 30, 2010
203 n wilson ave jefferson, wisconsin
www.amscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Eric Sapp
Business Location
United States
The picture of the house was a stanley steamer reclean. Thet left pet odor and other stains. I got it clean but got to go back tomorrow and see if the odor is gone. The owner has already told me im his cleaner now, anf he has another rental home. I got.the job with a Ultrafire light you guys recommended ! Thanks

Good for you max keep up the good work:)

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using TMF Forums mobile app

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I like the user name Jive Turkey, pretty cool. Since you have income I would get the Prochem. out of the two. But I would check craigslist and ebay daily to see if you can get a 2003 or newer Chevy van because they look better. When you negotiate the price down the seller would strip accessories out of the van so go look at it first to be clear on what is and isn't included. Winter is coming so cleaners in the north east will be looking to sell there vans. Don't be afraid to travel. I bought a 2003 van with 115,000 miles and TM with 800 hrs without looking at it that was 800 miles away. Everything went great except the seller took the trailer hitch off the van before I got there.

TracyWalker

Mar 28, 2006
Grover, NC
Real Name
Tracy Walker
Have you thought of finding a good used van and buy a new truckmount? I just bought a real nice 2007 E250 with 130,000 miles for $4000. Find something like that and throw in a brand new Amtex Prowler and you would have a reliable new machine that would compare in price to that prochem deal. I have one and really like it. VERY easy to work on, and in 2 years I have had 0 down days. For the size the Prowler will surprise.

marmot

Sep 18, 2013
Real Name
marmotsmith
Hello,
Im new to the forum and am just starting out in the business.
My dilemma is what to spend and what is out there.
One setup is a prochem blazer plus with 1300 hrs and 2002 van (very clean)with 90,000
for $ 15,000.
Other option is A Hydracat Crossfire 4.2 with about 5000 hrs and a 97 Dodge ram with 150,000 miles
all for $3500.
Machine works good ...water gets extremely hot and suction is pretty strong although it is better
on the Prochem obviously being a newer. unit.
Pros on the the Prochem set up is newer unit and probably wont have much problems for awhile.
Cons are if the business doent work out its a bigger investment Ive lost out on unless I can recoup my money by reselling it.
Pros on the Hydracat is minimal investment to get my feet in the water and if doesn't work out
im not out the $15,000 like I would be on the Prochem.
Cons is it is and older van and truckmount so it could go at any time.
The owner and a buddy of mine says he has gone through it kept it up but people will say anything
to make a buck.
Can anybody give me some advise on the hydracat.Ive ready some negative things on it.
What should I look for in evaluating this set up.
I know when I put my hand on the the vacume inlet on the tank its not like I have to pry my hand off to
take it off (almost the strength of like a wet and dry)but if I leave my hand on the suction builds up and gets stronger.
I took a piece of cardboard and left it on the inlet for about 10 seconds I noticed the longer I left it on
the lower the engine idled...almost like it was about to die.Is that normal or just stressful on the motor.
Water get to about 210 degrees.
Belts have a little bit of a wobble too but not too bad but I do see belt dust around the pullys and
owner said he was using wrong belt size at first so went through belts.
I am skeptible on an older set up like this but the price seems right and if all goes well in a year
I can upgrade and maybe have 2 vans if this one hangs in there.
Anyways thanks for any advice..
Hi,
I want to know that which type of business you want to start and it totally depends on you that how much capital you have to start with any type of business?

Gregg Sargent

Oct 11, 2017
San Diego, California
www.GreggSargent.Com
Real Name
Gregg Sargent
Business Location
United States
Hello,
Im new to the forum and am just starting out in the business.
My dilemma is what to spend and what is out there.
One setup is a prochem blazer plus with 1300 hrs and 2002 van (very clean)with 90,000
for $ 15,000.
Other option is A Hydracat Crossfire 4.2 with about 5000 hrs and a 97 Dodge ram with 150,000 miles
all for $3500.
Machine works good ...water gets extremely hot and suction is pretty strong although it is better
on the Prochem obviously being a newer. unit.
Pros on the the Prochem set up is newer unit and probably wont have much problems for awhile.
Cons are if the business doent work out its a bigger investment Ive lost out on unless I can recoup my money by reselling it.
Pros on the Hydracat is minimal investment to get my feet in the water and if doesn't work out
im not out the $15,000 like I would be on the Prochem.
Cons is it is and older van and truckmount so it could go at any time.
The owner and a buddy of mine says he has gone through it kept it up but people will say anything
to make a buck.
Can anybody give me some advise on the hydracat.Ive ready some negative things on it.
What should I look for in evaluating this set up.
I know when I put my hand on the the vacume inlet on the tank its not like I have to pry my hand off to
take it off (almost the strength of like a wet and dry)but if I leave my hand on the suction builds up and gets stronger.
I took a piece of cardboard and left it on the inlet for about 10 seconds I noticed the longer I left it on
the lower the engine idled...almost like it was about to die.Is that normal or just stressful on the motor.
Water get to about 210 degrees.
Belts have a little bit of a wobble too but not too bad but I do see belt dust around the pullys and
owner said he was using wrong belt size at first so went through belts.
I am skeptible on an older set up like this but the price seems right and if all goes well in a year
I can upgrade and maybe have 2 vans if this one hangs in there.
Anyways thanks for any advice..
Don't forget the black light and offering a free pet urine inspection on every job. The light does the selling, especially if you know they have pets, or the client is buying the house and moving in. I made $1,000's a month with that black light.

Also I recommend you offer Same Day Service on all your ads if you are able to respond quickly. This really helped get us more clients when we started 18 years ago.

Third make sure you answer your phone every time it rings, so many companies don't pick up their phones and loose so much work.

If you want to call me directly I took a $25,000.00 carpet cleaning company and turned it into $2,300,000.00. We were cleaning 700 houses a month.

Just call any time 720-277-7113. I have helped multiple friends start their carpet cleaning businesses from scratch.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Don't forget the black light and offering a free pet urine inspection on every job. The light does the selling, especially if you know they have pets, or the client is buying the house and moving in. I made $1,000's a month with that black light.

Also I recommend you offer Same Day Service on all your ads if you are able to respond quickly. This really helped get us more clients when we started 18 years ago.

Third make sure you answer your phone every time it rings, so many companies don't pick up their phones and loose so much work.

If you want to call me directly I took a $25,000.00 carpet cleaning company and turned it into $2,300,000.00. We were cleaning 700 houses a month.

Just call any time 720-277-7113. I have helped multiple friends start their carpet cleaning businesses from scratch.
Good advice but you're about 4 years to late. That post is from 2013