Just Raised My Prices Today

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
So all of you have told me I need to raise my prices, especially since I am in such a high cost of living area. The main thing that kills me is that most of my jobs are minimum jobs, and for years my minimum has just been $100. But it takes forever to set up in high rise condos even just to clean a sofa. So today I did 4 jobs and was done at 3:30 pm, started the day at 8:45 am. With my regular prices, the jobs would've been $100, $100, $100, $180 = $480 grand total. But I'm just sending out my bills now with my new pricing, hopefully I don't get any calls complaining, but now it's $150, $150, $150, $230 = $680. 680 Sounds a HELL of a lot better than 480. I should've done this a long time ago. And the great thing is, my prices didn't really go up all that much. It's just that my minimum is $150 now instead of $100, and I am bumping my sq ft rate from 0.30 to 0.35. I might up my sofas from 70 to 90 and some things like that as well. I still think I have fair prices, I'm not gouging anyone, I'm putting in a hard day's work, and now I might even spend a little more time being more thorough, and may include more furniture moving than I used to.

Now time to send out these e-mails to the property managers and see how many angry calls I get in the morning. Hah!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So all of you have told me I need to raise my prices, especially since I am in such a high cost of living area. The main thing that kills me is that most of my jobs are minimum jobs, and for years my minimum has just been $100. But it takes forever to set up in high rise condos even just to clean a sofa. So today I did 4 jobs and was done at 3:30 pm, started the day at 8:45 am. With my regular prices, the jobs would've been $100, $100, $100, $180 = $480 grand total. But I'm just sending out my bills now with my new pricing, hopefully I don't get any calls complaining, but now it's $150, $150, $150, $230 = $680. 680 Sounds a HELL of a lot better than 480. I should've done this a long time ago. And the great thing is, my prices didn't really go up all that much. It's just that my minimum is $150 now instead of $100, and I am bumping my sq ft rate from 0.30 to 0.35. I might up my sofas from 70 to 90 and some things like that as well. I still think I have fair prices, I'm not gouging anyone, I'm putting in a hard day's work, and now I might even spend a little more time being more thorough, and may include more furniture moving than I used to.

Now time to send out these e-mails to the property managers and see how many angry calls I get in the morning. Hah!
It’s good to raise your prices but not if you lose your source of income. If you haven’t sent the emails already I would hold off. Bill today’s work at your old prices and then tomorrow write up an email to your customers explaining that you are raising your prices for all future work.

People are understanding and expect price increases but to just send a bill for $150 when they are expecting to pay $100 will piss them off.

I raise my prices every January 1st. By doing so it’s in smaller increments and people don’t even notice.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
It’s good to raise your prices but not if you lose your source of income. If you haven’t sent the emails already I would hold off. Bill today’s work at your old prices and then tomorrow write up an email to your customers explaining that you are raising your prices for all future work.

People are understanding and expect price increases but to just send a bill for $150 when they are expecting to pay $100 will piss them off.

I raise my prices every January 1st. By doing so it’s in smaller increments and people don’t even notice.
That makes sense. But for me, all of these jobs done today were for managers of condos. So they aren't even the ones paying the bill, they are just people who booked me to clean so that vacation guests don't complain, but the actual owner pays the bill. I basically never meet the owner. So I felt like calling to let them know about price increase would've resulted in sort of an "Uhh ok whatever" so I just went ahead and did it. I know it's a little weird to not tell them the price up front, but, like I said, they will probably just forward it along to the owners, and they probably don't even KNOW what price I charge. If I had to guess, they don't even look at the price, they just do a quick scan to make sure I did the work that they requested and send them off to be paid. I guess it's kind of weird, but, oh well.

I actually tend to worry a ton about customers being mad at me and things like that, and what you said totally makes sense. But I basically just decided today "screw it...I'm raising prices, if anyone is upset, i'll switch it to old price for 1 invoice, if they don't want to use me anymore, then good for them" cause I'm done cleaning 1.5 million dollar condos for 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PistolPete

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That makes sense. But for me, all of these jobs done today were for managers of condos. So they aren't even the ones paying the bill, they are just people who booked me to clean so that vacation guests don't complain, but the actual owner pays the bill. I basically never meet the owner. So I felt like calling to let them know about price increase would've resulted in sort of an "Uhh ok whatever" so I just went ahead and did it. I know it's a little weird to not tell them the price up front, but, like I said, they will probably just forward it along to the owners, and they probably don't even KNOW what price I charge. If I had to guess, they don't even look at the price, they just do a quick scan to make sure I did the work that they requested and send them off to be paid. I guess it's kind of weird, but, oh well.

I know that a friend of mine who is basically the cheapest plumber around told me that he charges $75 to replace a toilet flapper.
In that case you are probably fine.

I do a lot of work for residential property managers that pay me directly. In a case like that they need to know up front.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
My opinion if people don’t question your price then your to low.
Lady today “my your kind of expensive”
Me “really, I must look at my business cards again. I’m sure I had them put on them I’m really cheap!”
She burst out laughing! Mind you I did say it half laughing. But she was extremely happy with my work and at the end did admit other company’s she’s had didn’t do half of what we did.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
My opinion if people don’t question your price then your to low.
Lady today “my your kind of expensive”
Me “really, I must look at my business cards again. I’m sure I had them put on them I’m really cheap!”
She burst out laughing! Mind you I did say it half laughing. But she was extremely happy with my work and at the end did admit other company’s she’s had didn’t do half of what we did.
I have had people bitc h about my prices. But they are people who will bitc h about ANY price, and I'm tired of working for them. I have noticed that last time I raised my prices as an experiment, I did way more work included in the service, and the lady who told me that she was a little upset it was so expensive, actually gave me a BIG tip at the end of the job because she said I was so much more thorough than when she has previously had it cleaned. I'm trying to find a good middle ground where I can offer enough during the cleaning but also charge enough to make it right for everyone. I think now that my prices are going up a little, I am going to include a little more furniture moving than before. I usually move nothing but coffee tables, side chairs, and dining chairs. But now I might include dressers and end tables in that as well.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I have had people bitc h about my prices. But they are people who will bitc h about ANY price, and I'm tired of working for them. I have noticed that last time I raised my prices as an experiment, I did way more work included in the service, and the lady who told me that she was a little upset it was so expensive, actually gave me a BIG tip at the end of the job because she said I was so much more thorough than when she has previously had it cleaned. I'm trying to find a good middle ground where I can offer enough during the cleaning but also charge enough to make it right for everyone. I think now that my prices are going up a little, I am going to include a little more furniture moving than before. I usually move nothing but coffee tables, side chairs, and dining chairs. But now I might include dressers and end tables in that as well.
Nope, do exactly what you have been for more money.

By all means offer a "white glove" add on for furniture moving but don't raise your price by $25 and then do more work, in effect you didn't raise your price at all!

I ask the customers how they plan on moving the furniture.
If they say "I thought you did that" then I say I sure can, it's $150 because I have to bring a helper.
Either way I'm good.

I did 2 jobs today. I have customers to call tomorrow for estimates and I'm booked until June.
The lady today said "Well, they'll just have to wait, but you're worth it!"

Thanks lady, and yes I am!

I do great work. Not bragging, but I really go above & beyond for every customer, and they notice.

Charge what you're worth!
People will pay.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Nope, do exactly what you have been for more money.

By all means offer a "white glove" add on for furniture moving but don't raise your price by $25 and then do more work, in effect you didn't raise your price at all!

I ask the customers how they plan on moving the furniture.
If they say "I thought you did that" then I say I sure can, it's $150 because I have to bring a helper.
Either way I'm good.

I did 2 jobs today. I have customers to call tomorrow for estimates and I'm booked until June.
The lady today said "Well, they'll just have to wait, but you're worth it!"

Thanks lady, and yes I am!

I do great work. Not bragging, but I really go above & beyond for every customer, and they notice.

Charge what you're worth!
People will pay.
That's awesome. I always feel conflicted about furniture. I charge by the area, wall to wall, and a small percentage of people have been like "why am I being charged for under the bed when you aren't cleaning under it?" And then I'm like "well it's actually easier and faster to clean an empty room than working around a bed. But usually no one complains. Hell, a normal bedroom works out only being like 40 bucks usually anyways. Sometimes I feel bad when I see a ton of dust on a carpet behind a dresser or something, but then I get to thinking "well... they could just vacuum it if they wanted to". Haha I tend to overanalyze things.

I also do not prevacuum. If it's really hairy and gross I'll run my brushpro over it first though. I read on here a few months ago that everyone was talking about how important prevac is and how you are a hack if you don't do it. So I bought a vacuum at target and started prevacuuming. Most of my customers would stop me and be like "Oh you don't need to do that.. my cleaners just did it" or "I just did that". 75% of my jobs are at empty vacation condos that were just vacuumed by a housekeeping crew luckily.

So right now at my new rate I'm at $0.35/ ft, wall to wall measured, move coffee tables and chairs, prespray, extract, spots included. But I'm not one of these "Oh I'm going to move furniture, then prevacuum, then prespray, then pre spot, then Brushpro, then extract, then set up fans to dry, then groom, then say blessing over the carpet" type companies. Haha! I don't think that's what most of my clients want. But I try to not be a "hack" at the same time.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
I give my customers the" I had a hernia surgery several years ago speech" and normally they back off on the furniture move requests. Tell them I would love to move their stuff but can't afford being disabled. Have to admit one grandma asked me afterward if that meant I didn't want to move her piano ? I guess she was a little hard of hearing.