Job from hell

United Custodians LLC

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
Always test, always test, always test...
You set expectations on the front end and make excuses on the back end.
Often times stone is set with an epoxy resin that can yellow over time. Or it can be stained.
If you test clean the grout in a couple of spots you can make suggestions.
I would have tried grout master and then sold them on diamond polish to restore the shine.
But don't sweat it, I learned the hard way to never assume.
I always do a pre inspection before quoting.
Unfortunately I did not have my tile machine then just ordered now got to learn more advanced floor care Luckley I found y’all threw YouTube learn as I go if i come across one I don’t feel comfortable cleaning I’ll overprice it get away from it

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Unfortunately I did not have my tile machine then just ordered now got to learn more advanced floor care Luckley I found y’all threw YouTube learn as I go if i come across one I don’t feel comfortable cleaning I’ll overprice it get away from it
It's really not that hard or complicated.
I learned from following posts on here, YouTube and other research.
Then I learned from making mistakes. I always knew enough before starting a job to avoid catastrophic failure!
After you do a few jobs your confidence will increase.
I said no a lot, but every now & then you get a job that is slightly outside your comfort zone so you go for it and learn.
I tackled stone polishing that way.
Anyway, keep studying and remember fear is a liar...you can do it, and it will most likely work out great.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
That’s no job from hell? That easy! Sir or ma’am we can diamond grind, polish, buff, and seal this marble floor. But the grout color will not change, unless it’s Re grouted. A drimmel tool or something similar should remove that grout. For the record we usually would use non sanded grout for those thin grout lines. Also this is the main thing, instead of water we use this product Star Set! This is a hardner or latex, you will never have trouble with the grout coming out after applying!
d87571c9140828c7fe60e8686556607b.jpg

United Custodians LLC

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
That’s no job from hell? That easy! Sir or ma’am we can diamond grind, polish, buff, and seal this marble floor. But the grout color will not change, unless it’s Re grouted. A drimmel tool or something similar should remove that grout. For the record we usually would use non sanded grout for those thin grout lines. Also this is the main thing, instead of water we use this product Star Set! This is a hardner or latex, you will never have trouble with the grout coming out after applying!
The only problem there was the grout

United Custodians LLC

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
That also good to here I cleaned up water that got in his basement on his carpets for free then he complained that grout wasn’t white it’s had cracking it’s was more the customer from hell offered to paint it what he wanted was not included in bid btw I did not bid that the realastate company did this is what made me see the need learn advance floor care they want theses jobs done so fast Tile and glass companies are so booked I get asked to do stuff I also had to do windows I still got top dollar on cleaning .

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
The only problem there was the grout
I think the point is there are levels of cleaning or restoration.

To address the grout properly you may dull or surface etch the marble.

To remedy the etching you would need to polish it out.

So a front end conversation would help set expectations.
I'm doing a travertine floor next week and she didn't want it polished.

I explained that the deep cleaning process along with some food spills will leave the floor looking patchy and uneven.

So we're going to run an 800 grit polish to leave a nice even, matte / satin finish.

The point is, you offer carefully explained choices or levels and let the customer choose.

BTW 90% of T&G jobs are really straightforward. Get some TMF Grout Master, a turbo tool spinner and some microfiber flat mops.

Reactions: MikeGaure

United Custodians LLC

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
I think the point is there are levels of cleaning or restoration.

To address the grout properly you may dull or surface etch the marble.

To remedy the etching you would need to polish it out.

So a front end conversation would help set expectations.
I'm doing a travertine floor next week and she didn't want it polished.

I explained that the deep cleaning process along with some food spills will leave the floor looking patchy and uneven.

So we're going to run an 800 grit polish to leave a nice even, matte / satin finish.

The point is, you offer carefully explained choices or levels and let the customer choose.

BTW 90% of T&G jobs are really straightforward. Get some TMF Grout Master, a turbo tool spinner and some microfiber flat mops.[/QUOTE I have a Orbot vibe on order with tile package super absorb pads a portable box extractor and a Rotovac 360 I that I don’t have a tile head for Rotovac can I use the carpet head use that as a spinner

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
How many psi / gpm does your extractor have?
You need 1200psi @2.2 gpm to run a spinner.
Heat helps too.
Scrubbing and then rinsing with a carpet extractor can work but it will take longer.
In my experience nothing beats psi and water flow though.
Look at the water otter pump.
Connected to customer hot water, they work great for tile floors.

I have a TM with diesel heat for most jobs, but I use the water otter and a mytee air hog as a portable set up for restricted access.

United Custodians LLC

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
How many psi / gpm does your extractor have?
You need 1200psi @2.2 gpm to run a spinner.
Heat helps too.
Scrubbing and then rinsing with a carpet extractor can work but it will take longer.
In my experience nothing beats psi and water flow though.
Look at the water otter pump.
Connected to customer hot water, they work great for tile floors.

I have a TM with diesel heat for most jobs, but I use the water otter and a mytee air hog as a portable set up for restricted access.
It’s got 2 vacuums and a in-line heater it runs the Rotovac I’m going to use the. vibe for scrubbing the extractor for rinsing and sucking up water I bought a van last year but don’t want a TM because I do a variety of work if I done just floors than yes it would be a must