I've become a carpet cleaning snob

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I admit it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Just too tired and old to put up with nonsense from clients. Now don't get me wrong I'll give clients who treat me nice the kindest experience possible. But if they doubt me I'll speak up or give off an air that they dare not question me or my work. After all I am the professional and I know what Im capable of delivering, and I do deliver, every time. Ok, I digress. Let me give you a couple examples from this week.

First one is a hotel owner called. Now I really don't like going to hotels but the girl at the office insisted this owner wanted better service. So I show up and he starts showing me the rooms. They only have one room carpet each as the rest is tile. I mentioned I clean tile also. He said thanks but I only want the carpets done now and 10 rooms at a time. He said I need a price but I'll tell you my best price so far is 10.00 a room. I laughed out loud and said my price is a 100 a room. He said thats outrageous. I said look bud, when your tired of these carpets looking like crap and smelling like crap give me a call. Until then keep using your cheapo companies.

You see my attitude is if your going to insult me by telling me a low price I'm going to tell you like it is. Another one this week I was doing a jewelry store in a mall at 6am in the morning. The mall director told the jeweler if he didn't get it looking like new he would have to replace it. So he called me to see if I could clean it. I said I can get it 95% as it was a high quality nylon and in good condition. Yes it was dirty and lots spills cause it had been down almost 5 years and never cleaned. I killed it. Made it look brand new and he got to keep his carpet without shelling out 5k for new carpets and moving all his stuff. My estimate was 2x's higher than the closest one too. Now as I was leaving he came to shake my hand and he said "good work". I said no, I don't do good work, I do great work.

So I guess it confirms it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Don't be mad. I learned it from the rug snobs. They tell people like it is, charge what they feel is right and take the time to do great work. I see the prices they get and the clients that appreciate it. I also see how they turn away the price shoppers and laugh about it. I demand people pay my price or I leave. Lately I've been averaging almost 500 a ticket. That simple. So yep, I'm a carpet cleaning snob.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I admit it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Just too tired and old to take any crap from clients. Now don't get me wrong I'll give clients who treat me nice the kindest experience possible. But if they doubt me I'll speak up or give off an air that they dare not question me or my work. After all I am the professional and I know what Im capable of delivering, and I do deliver, every time. Ok, I digress. Let me give you a couple examples from this week.

First one is a hotel owner called. Now I really don't like going to hotels but the girl at the office insisted this owner wanted better service. So I show up and he starts showing me the rooms. They only have one room carpet each as the rest is tile. I mentioned I clean tile also. He said thanks but I only want the carpets done now and 10 rooms at a time. He said I need a price but I'll tell you my best price so far is 10.00 a room. I laughed out loud and said my pic is a 100 a room. He said thats outrageous. I said look bud, when your tired of these carpets looking like crap and smelling like crap give me a call. Until then keep using your cheapo companies.

You see my attitude is if your going to insult me by telling me a low price I'm going to tell you like it is. Another one this week I was doing a jewelry store in a mall at 6am in the morning. The mall director told the jeweler if he didn't get it looking like new he would have to replace it. So he called me to see if I could clean it. I said I can get it 95% as it was a high quality nylon and in good condition. Yes it was dirty and lots spills cause it had been down almost 5 years and never cleaned. I killed it. Made it look brand new and he got to keep his carpet without shelling out 5k for new carpets and moving all his stuff. My estimate was 2x's higher than the closest one too. Now as I was leaving he came to shake my hand and he said "good work". I said no, I don't do good work, I do great work.

So I guess it confirms it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Don't be mad. I learned it from the rug snobs. They tell people like it is, charge what they feel is right and take the time to do great work. I see the prices they get and the clients that appreciate it. I also see how they turn away the price shoppers and laugh about it. I demand people pay my price or I leave. That simple. So yep, I'm a carpet cleaning snob.
I am getting that way. I am too old and I clean better than most carpet cleaners so I am not afraid to charge for what I do.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
At the jewelry store I prevac'd, presprayed, mechanically agitated it with an OP, rinsed it with a Zipper, cut it in with a Ti wand and post bonneted. What other cleaner will do what we do?

*I took screen shots off the video footage.

Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Fine line between confident and cocky. First example shows confidence and believe most hotel managers do need a firm hand. Second example is just Rob Allen being Rob Allen, my two cents.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I admit it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Just too tired and old to put up with nonsense from clients. Now don't get me wrong I'll give clients who treat me nice the kindest experience possible. But if they doubt me I'll speak up or give off an air that they dare not question me or my work. After all I am the professional and I know what Im capable of delivering, and I do deliver, every time. Ok, I digress. Let me give you a couple examples from this week.

First one is a hotel owner called. Now I really don't like going to hotels but the girl at the office insisted this owner wanted better service. So I show up and he starts showing me the rooms. They only have one room carpet each as the rest is tile. I mentioned I clean tile also. He said thanks but I only want the carpets done now and 10 rooms at a time. He said I need a price but I'll tell you my best price so far is 10.00 a room. I laughed out loud and said my pic is a 100 a room. He said thats outrageous. I said look bud, when your tired of these carpets looking like crap and smelling like crap give me a call. Until then keep using your cheapo companies.

So I guess it confirms it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Don't be mad. I learned it from the rug snobs. They tell people like it is, charge what they feel is right and take the time to do great work. I see the prices they get and the clients that appreciate it. I also see how they turn away the price shoppers and laugh about it. I demand people pay my price or I leave. Lately I've been averaging almost 500 a ticket. That simple. So yep, I'm a carpet cleaning snob.
Yes sir !! Superior service has a price !! If you want "Stanley Stinker " or below service please call someone else . I have no time for that .
All the Best, Ed

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I am the same way. But never cocky and ALWAYS confident. And when somebody told me that they can get someone cheaper to clean their carpets, I always said....Of Course You Can....But It won't Be Me.

And when I talked to prospects, or customers in person, I NEVER took my eyes off of their eyes. I look them dead in their eyes and communicate with confidence and certainty. There will be no mistaking that I say what I mean and mean what I say.

I Can Work For Free For Anyone...Why Should I Work For Free For You?

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree
At the jewelry store I prevac'd, presprayed, mechanically agitated it with an OP, rinsed it with a Zipper, cut it in with a Ti wand and post bonneted. What other cleaner will do what we do?
LOL WOW what a waste of time and energy. Ya know there is much faster and much better ways to be amazing.

Funny how some people see a job as a challenge and other people see it as a walk in the park.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Fine line between confident and cocky. First example shows confidence and believe most hotel managers do need a firm hand. Second example is just Rob Allen being Rob Allen, my two cents.
Yep . Treat people like they treat you . Disrespect me and you will never see my work.
I am the same way. But never cocky and ALWAYS confident. And when somebody told me that they can get someone cheaper to clean their carpets, I always said....Of Course You Can....But It won't Be Me.

And when I talked to prospects, or customers in person, I NEVER took my eyes off of their eyes. I look them dead in their eyes and communicate with confidence and certainty. There will be no mistaking that I say what I mean and mean what I say.

I Can Work For Free For Anyone...Why Should I Work For Free For You?
Exactly sir !! I say it a little more "gently " but there's no mistake in what I've said .
All the Best, Ed

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
If someone has rediculous pricing demands on an estimate, I'd prefer to crack a few jokes or maybe use a thought provoking metaphor but I think being outright rude isn't wise.
When someone raves about my work, I like to show a little humility and I think that displays more confidence than self praise.
E.g. A long standing carpet retailer has given me a ton of work over the years and I was looking over a job they referred me to.
Client says, "They said you do the best work they've ever seen"...
I replied with a wry smile , saying, "I pay them to say such nice things about me"...
I prefer to let my work speak for itself but above all, I want them to like me...
I think if you appear arrogant , it makes it harder for clients to really bond with you..

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
If someone has rediculous pricing demands on an estimate, I'd prefer to crack a few jokes or maybe use a thought provoking metaphor but I think being outright rude isn't wise.
When someone raves about my work, I like to show a little humility and I think that displays more confidence than self praise.
E.g. A long standing carpet retailer has given me a ton of work over the years and I was looking over a job they referred me to.
I replied with a wry smile , saying, "I pay them to say such nice things about me"...
I prefer to let my work speak for itself but above all, I want them to like me...
I think if you appear arrogant , it makes it harder for clients to really bond with you..
Just like my father taught me Mike . Preached to me when I got a promotion .... It's nice to be important , more important to be nice . Arrogance is not a virtue . Confidence is !! You're a wise man "Great Camacho " .
All the Best, Ed

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Just like my father taught me Mike . Preached to me when I got a promotion .... It's nice to be important , more important to be nice . Arrogance is not a virtue . Confidence is !! You're a wise man "Great Camacho " .
All the Best, Ed
This is a people business. I take cleaning seriously but I think the very most important thing is being likeable...

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

Now yar getting IT...Mohammed..Those Dots can.....??

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Agree. Notice I said I was laughing out loud when I told the guy.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
LOL WOW what a waste of time and energy. Ya know there is much faster and much better ways to be amazing.

Funny how some people see a job as a challenge and other people see it as a walk in the park.
Listening to Robs Jokes is HARD LABOR! lol

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States

....dick! Haha I like it.

What it would like to be Rob Allen? :D #daydreamingwonderfully

Latest posts