I've become a carpet cleaning snob

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by rob allen, May 26, 2016.

1. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,045 / 82 / -0
    I admit it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Just too tired and old to put up with nonsense from clients. Now don't get me wrong I'll give clients who treat me nice the kindest experience possible. But if they doubt me I'll speak up or give off an air that they dare not question me or my work. After all I am the professional and I know what Im capable of delivering, and I do deliver, every time. Ok, I digress. Let me give you a couple examples from this week.

First one is a hotel owner called. Now I really don't like going to hotels but the girl at the office insisted this owner wanted better service. So I show up and he starts showing me the rooms. They only have one room carpet each as the rest is tile. I mentioned I clean tile also. He said thanks but I only want the carpets done now and 10 rooms at a time. He said I need a price but I'll tell you my best price so far is 10.00 a room. I laughed out loud and said my price is a 100 a room. He said thats outrageous. I said look bud, when your tired of these carpets looking like crap and smelling like crap give me a call. Until then keep using your cheapo companies.

You see my attitude is if your going to insult me by telling me a low price I'm going to tell you like it is. Another one this week I was doing a jewelry store in a mall at 6am in the morning. The mall director told the jeweler if he didn't get it looking like new he would have to replace it. So he called me to see if I could clean it. I said I can get it 95% as it was a high quality nylon and in good condition. Yes it was dirty and lots spills cause it had been down almost 5 years and never cleaned. I killed it. Made it look brand new and he got to keep his carpet without shelling out 5k for new carpets and moving all his stuff. My estimate was 2x's higher than the closest one too. Now as I was leaving he came to shake my hand and he said "good work". I said no, I don't do good work, I do great work.

So I guess it confirms it. I am a carpet cleaning snob. Don't be mad. I learned it from the rug snobs. They tell people like it is, charge what they feel is right and take the time to do great work. I see the prices they get and the clients that appreciate it. I also see how they turn away the price shoppers and laugh about it. I demand people pay my price or I leave. Lately I've been averaging almost 500 a ticket. That simple. So yep, I'm a carpet cleaning snob.

• Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,057 / 6 / -0
    I am getting that way. I am too old and I clean better than most carpet cleaners so I am not afraid to charge for what I do.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,045 / 82 / -0
    At the jewelry store I prevac'd, presprayed, mechanically agitated it with an OP, rinsed it with a Zipper, cut it in with a Ti wand and post bonneted. What other cleaner will do what we do?

*I took screen shots off the video footage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jose Holguin

Premium VIP

Oct 20, 2012
    Male
    Vail, CO
    Ratings:
    +9,637 / 43 / -0
    Fine line between confident and cocky. First example shows confidence and believe most hotel managers do need a firm hand. Second example is just Rob Allen being Rob Allen, my two cents.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,032 / 9 / -0
    Yes sir !! Superior service has a price !! If you want "Stanley Stinker " or below service please call someone else . I have no time for that .
    All the Best, Ed

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +2,994 / 39 / -0
    I think there's nothing wrong with a little bit of attitude depending on the customer...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +3,928 / 7 / -0
    I am the same way. But never cocky and ALWAYS confident. And when somebody told me that they can get someone cheaper to clean their carpets, I always said....Of Course You Can....But It won't Be Me.

And when I talked to prospects, or customers in person, I NEVER took my eyes off of their eyes. I look them dead in their eyes and communicate with confidence and certainty. There will be no mistaking that I say what I mean and mean what I say.

I Can Work For Free For Anyone...Why Should I Work For Free For You?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mardie

Mardie Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,274 / 73 / -0
    LOL WOW what a waste of time and energy. Ya know there is much faster and much better ways to be amazing.

Funny how some people see a job as a challenge and other people see it as a walk in the park.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,032 / 9 / -0
    Yep . Treat people like they treat you . Disrespect me and you will never see my work.
    Exactly sir !! I say it a little more "gently " but there's no mistake in what I've said .
    All the Best, Ed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,758 / 81 / -0
    If someone has rediculous pricing demands on an estimate, I'd prefer to crack a few jokes or maybe use a thought provoking metaphor but I think being outright rude isn't wise.
    When someone raves about my work, I like to show a little humility and I think that displays more confidence than self praise.
    E.g. A long standing carpet retailer has given me a ton of work over the years and I was looking over a job they referred me to.
    Client says, "They said you do the best work they've ever seen"...
    I replied with a wry smile , saying, "I pay them to say such nice things about me"...
    I prefer to let my work speak for itself but above all, I want them to like me...
    I think if you appear arrogant , it makes it harder for clients to really bond with you..

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,032 / 9 / -0
    Just like my father taught me Mike . Preached to me when I got a promotion .... It's nice to be important , more important to be nice . Arrogance is not a virtue . Confidence is !! You're a wise man "Great Camacho " .
    All the Best, Ed

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,758 / 81 / -0
    This is a people business. I take cleaning seriously but I think the very most important thing is being likeable...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    #13 aloha one, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Now yar getting IT...Mohammed..Those Dots can.....??

14. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,045 / 82 / -0
    Agree. Notice I said I was laughing out loud when I told the guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    But they Do make Nice Targets..They come ready with a Bulls Eye!

16. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    I hate People..Specially the Smart ones....:eek: That's why we're friends Mike..... lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    Listening to Robs Jokes is HARD LABOR! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Artie09

Premium VIP

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    Owner and operater
    Azusa , CA
    Ratings:
    +3,118 / 14 / -0
    ....dick! Haha I like it.

What it would like to be Rob Allen? :D #daydreamingwonderfully

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    hehehehe Watch it Now..you know what happens when you Chit on his Threads.....

20. Artie09

Premium VIP

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    Owner and operater
    Azusa , CA
    Ratings:
    +3,118 / 14 / -0
    You get punished, they close down your carpet cleaning business which in my case is only $200 in profit per month :( #sad

Lmfao!!!

• Funny Funny x 2