It's 33F inside my trailer. Did I screw up? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

It's 33F inside my trailer. Did I screw up?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I looked at my forecast last night and it said the low temp. was supposed to be 38-40F. so I didn't hook up my heater. I'm looking at my remote thermometer this morning and it says that it's 33F inside my trailer, and frost is on my windshield.

I'm gonna hook up a heater this morning, just for my piece of mind.

So...how many of ya'll have had a freeze because of a bad judgement from the forecast?

Jul 15, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Real Name
AJ Dedic
Business Location
United States
Hey Matt I've left my van without a heater when the forecast was 27*, I figured inside the van it should be a bit more than 27* and covered the machine with a big blanket. Didn't have any problems running it the day after, last night was 30* and I didn't put a heater in.. Let's hope I didn't just jinx it. Lol

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Hey Matt I've left my van without a heater when the forecast was 27*, I figured inside the van it should be a bit more than 27* and covered the machine with a big blanket. Didn't have any problems running it the day after, last night was 30* and I didn't put a heater in.. Let's hope I didn't just jinx it. Lol
I normally turn the heater on when the forecast is under 40F, just because I know how accurate the forecast is. But when I wake up to see it this low from my thermometer, it brings back bad memories from my early years in this business

EverythingFlooring

Mar 28, 2014
You should be okay, it kinda happened to me, my heater got "stuck on stupid" and thought it was 67f in the van when it was 33f. That's my back up heater now. But I've done the same as you, and thought it wasn't going to get cold enough to worry, and then woke up worried. Only one way to find out if you sprung a leak...fire it up.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Your fine, try to keep a little water in a gallon jug inside the trailer or even outside. If that thing doesnt freeze then your fine. Whatever i am using to winterize my tm, i keep some in a jug just in case. Right now i have car antifreeze in it, since im not using it.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Its as ez as keeping a waterbottle on your porch and check it every morning.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I looked at my forecast last night and it said the low temp. was supposed to be 38-40F. so I didn't hook up my heater. I'm looking at my remote thermometer this morning and it says that it's 33F inside my trailer, and frost is on my windshield.

I'm gonna hook up a heater this morning, just for my piece of mind.

So...how many of ya'll have had a freeze because of a bad judgement from the forecast?
Matt what kind of thermometer do you have that works through the trailer and reach inside the house. The remote thermometers I bought won't reach through my trailer. To fix the problem you have put a thermostat in your trailer. They are easy to install. I keep mine at 50. Just wire it before the plug.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Matt what kind of thermometer do you have that works through the trailer and reach inside the house. The remote thermometers I bought won't reach through my trailer. To fix the problem you have put a thermostat in your trailer. They are easy to install. I keep mine at 50. Just wire it before the plug.
Oh yea your fine. It has to be below freezing for a straight day to hurt your machine. Unless it's way below 32 for a half day.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B35APA/?tag=truck0b9-20

It's very important to put the digital receiver 10ft away from your cpu, cell phone, or any other wireless things. It gets interrupted easily. So I keep it on top of my shelf on the other side of my office

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
That's why I'm paranoid. There's no insulation
Ya, I would definitely want my trailer insulated.
Guy's up here pull the panels off and have it sprayfoamed, ceiling and undercarriage as well. Pretty hard for us to run gear out of a trailer will our cold .
You , not so much. Personally, I would plug in heater regardless in winter months.
Put it at a low setting, it kicks in as needed and not expensive.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Ya, I would definitely want my trailer insulated.
Guy's up here pull the panels off and have it sprayfoamed, ceiling and undercarriage as well. Pretty hard for us to run gear out of a trailer will our cold .
You , not so much. Personally, I would plug in heater regardless in winter months.
Put it at a low setting, it kicks in as needed and not expensive.
I normally have the heater set at the lowest 59F setting. I doubt it froze as well. Ever since my prochem legend froze up on me, I've always made sure it wouldn't happen again.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I normally have the heater set at the lowest 59F setting. I doubt it froze as well. Ever since my prochem legend froze up on me, I've always made sure it wouldn't happen again.
Again, for me regardless of the projected low, it's a gimme... that heater is plugged in for your uninsulated trailer. You checked the over night low and said I'm good. Woke up this morning and had heart palpitations. Your not making sure it will NEVER happen again Matt, just sayin bro.