Is this white cotton floss asbestos?

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
I was cleaning the carpet in a house 2004 build and found these white fibers on the floor. Is it asbestos?I have no idea about asbestos but google show it looks like cotton and is lung cancerogen
3c6f801ea74384a7962a3c5673def6fa.jpg
3c6f801ea74384a7962a3c5673def6fa.jpg

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
The people that got sick and died worked with that asbestos for weeks, or even years, 6 to 10 hours every day.
And others lived or worked in them places for years or a few decades.

But it is a good idea to avoid asbestos as much as ya can.

Turboman

Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Mark Markovic
Business Location
United States
Dow Corning also makes fiber glass that is snow white. Pillow cushions have floss fill in them also. If you've been in the business very long you would have done a burn test to narrow down quickly the identity of this fluff. glass or asbestos won't melt using a lighter.

Reactions: Scott W

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Being a 2004 built house it's pretty unlikely to be asbestos, unless you live in a country that still uses it in carpet manufacturing. In the USA it hasn't been used in about 30 years.

The pictures just show some kind of fluff which could be lint, or as mentioned hair from pets. Keep in mind that not having a pet now doesn't mean there have never been pets in the house.
If you're worried about it, skip the dry vac, prespray and HWE. As long as it's wet no asbestos fibers will go released into the air. They stick together wet. When you're done, rinse out your wand and hoses before they have a chance to dry out, and drain and rinse your waste tank into a sewer system. Even if that is asbestos carpet, you're not going to remove enough fibers to be of any concern.

Reactions: sbsscn

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Personally me I do not think by looking at it hat its asbestos. Usually asbestos would not be out in the open.

Asbestos was most popular used in heating ducts, vent ducts, heating, some water heater exhaust, furnace exhaust, brake lining and in other applications too.

I would not feel worried so much if the house has been built based on the new building codes as Asbestos has been outlawed/banned and Not permitted.

Asbestos is most dangerous in dust form and when breathed.

Reactions: Robert86