Is there room in my city for another CC? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is there room in my city for another CC?

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Hello everyone!

I live in a city with a population of around 100K. I was in the business 5 years ago, on a limited part time basis. I was using a porty at the time, and I was doing ok. I gave it up since it was consuming my week nights and weekends, and it became to much with the full time job. I am now looking to quit my full-time job, and get back into the business. But this time I will be using a truck mount. I have found a van and truck mount in my town for a good price. Its an older van with high mileage, but is equipped with a 4 year old prochem peak tm, and the van is turn key. It is coming from a local carpet cleaner in town, that also owns the largest supply company in town, so I know it has been maintanced and taken care of.

I flipped through the yellow pages to see how many cc's there are in my town that are advertising in the yellow pages. There are about 10 or so companies already here, and most of them are small one man businesses. Is there room for another CC? Or is this market already over crowded? Just looking for some feedback, to see if you guys think I have enough room in my town to compete with these guys.

I know a lot of people are going to say keep or day job, but I don't need a huge income to replace my current salary. Is it possible with the right marketing and strategies to make $30k first year? We are busy here 7-8 months a year, and after Christmas business does drop off for the remainder of the winter until mid spring.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I would be checking internet presence ( yellow pages is dead in most areas).
See who ranks on a google search . If you market properly ( website) flyers EDM's 100K pop is doable . Quality work is a must but marketing is key to being busy,and growing.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I would be checking internet presence ( yellow pages is dead in most areas).
See who ranks on a google search . If you market properly ( website) flyers EDM's 100K pop is doable . Quality work is a must but marketing is key to being busy,and growing.
I would be interested in your strategy for eddm. I have heard others speak of it, but it is difficult to know what it takes for that return. How many times do you send to the same area, how frequent, can you expand on your original thought. THanks,

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I should have made that more clear. Most cc's in my town still advertise in the yellow pages. As far as google search, its the same ones in the yellow pages that show up online. From what I have seen and heard, none of them advertise. There are one or two that show up in the same coupon clipper or mailing every month and that is about it. I called on a couple of the bigger guys or more popular guys in town, and a few are booked a week out, and couple are booked 2 weeks, and even one that was book a month out.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I would be interested in your strategy for eddm. I have heard others speak of it, but it is difficult to know what it takes for that return. How many times do you send to the same area, how frequent, can you expand on your original thought. THanks,
My service area is quite small (15k homes). I send a flyer to each home 4-6 times a year. Been doing this for 18 years. I don't advertise prices just promote my services and top quality by an on location O/O with a righthand guy ( helper ).
Cost me about .10 cents per flyer printed and delivered.
Consistency is key and overtime pays off. Just because it doesn't work the first drop or two doesn't mean it was a lost cause.
I found a better response after about year 5. Also I farm my repeats ( mail or email out reminders.

Reactions: Ray Thomas

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I would venture to say that just about every single market in the country is over saturated but that don't mean anything, you have capitalism working in your favor, the strong thrive, the average survive and the weak are squashed and the cycle continues...

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
Lots of competition in your business, just like in mine. Just remember there’s always room for one more good one.
—Future President to aspiring actor

I forgot who this was, but the actor is one of the major celebrities in Hollywood now. Cool story. but yeah go for it.

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
Look up #ryankettering he will advise you, and take care of it for you if you want

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I would venture to say that just about every single market in the country is over saturated but that don't mean anything, you have capitalism working in your favor, the strong thrive, the average survive and the weak are squashed and the cycle continues...

I couldn't say it any better. If you want to get in to this business for the long haul you will need to do top quality work and have a system in place for CUSTOMER RETENTION. At first the challenge is to find customers but once you do find them be sure to keep a good database and re-market to all your existing customers. By your 3rd year you should have a significant number of your jobs coming from repeats and referrals, if you can achieve this you will succeed.

Oh, and don't make the mistake of starting off charging cheap prices. Figure out how much you need to charge to be profitable and stick to it. Prices vary by market so don't go by what others on TMF charge.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Population is ok but you need more info, like business and residential dwellings

Check out area data for your area.
http://www.city-data.com/

Single-family new house construction building permits:

• 1997: 233 buildings, average cost: $92,700
  • 1998: 189 buildings, average cost: $97,000
  • 1999: 241 buildings, average cost: $98,000
  • 2000: 237 buildings, average cost: $110,800
  • 2001: 225 buildings, average cost: $113,900
  • 2002: 197 buildings, average cost: $98,700
  • 2003: 150 buildings, average cost: $113,700
  • 2004: 191 buildings, average cost: $90,200
  • 2005: 170 buildings, average cost: $94,000
  • 2006: 127 buildings, average cost: $93,000
  • 2007: 92 buildings, average cost: $93,300
  • 2008: 43 buildings, average cost: $98,700
  • 2009: 22 buildings, average cost: $104,900
  • 2010: 15 buildings, average cost: $128,400
  • 2011: 23 buildings, average cost: $118,600
  • 2012: 45 buildings, average cost: $129,000

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Rapids-Michigan.html#ixzz3fltD6fov

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
In the County, there is about 160.000 units that need residential cleaning. Apartments not included.

County population in 2012:
614,462 (84% urban, 16% rural); it was 574,335 in 2000
County owner-occupied with a mortgage or a loan houses and condos in 2010: 115,249
County owner-occupied free and clear houses and condos in 2010: 43,052
County owner-occupied houses and condos in 2000: 149,719
Renter-occupied apartments: 68,938 (it was 63,171 in 2000)
% of renters here:

30%
State:

28%
Land area: 856 sq. mi.

Water area: 16.0 sq. mi.

Population density: 711 people per square mile (high).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/county/Kent_County-MI.html#ixzz3flxwDYkF

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Thanks for the responses. I am going to do a little more research, but I am going to take the plung in the next couple weeks.

onfire_02_01

Apr 28, 2011
Minnesota
www.minnesotacandr.com
Real Name
Jeremy Gray
Business Location
United States
Hey Brian, Bismarck is a growing town, as long as your advertising is solid and you put in some shoe leather you will do just fine. Do not go into big debt in that area though. There will be some lean years coming with the oil bust, but those can be weathered with low overhead and good advertising. People are always buying, just make sure they want to buy from YOU first.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Thanks for the response Jeremy. The oil doesn't affect us to much here in Bismarck. We are far enough a way from it, and Bismarck is growing like crazy! Economy is striving and going super strong. I just need to come up with the best advertising for my area, and find out where I can get the most bang for my buck. I know I can do well with the right tools, I just need to find the best match for this area. Its hard to come in to the business, knowing you have a lot of big names in town that everybody knows by name. How do I get some of there business away? Or do I just focus on new business for my self, and not worry about the competition? When someone on a local facebook page ask, who would you recommend for carpet cleaning? its always the same 2 or 3 big guys. So I want to become that guy, but I know it s going to take some time!

onfire_02_01

Apr 28, 2011
Minnesota
www.minnesotacandr.com
Real Name
Jeremy Gray
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the response Jeremy. The oil doesn't affect us to much here in Bismarck. We are far enough a way from it, and Bismarck is growing like crazy! Economy is striving and going super strong. I just need to come up with the best advertising for my area, and find out where I can get the most bang for my buck. I know I can do well with the right tools, I just need to find the best match for this area. Its hard to come in to the business, knowing you have a lot of big names in town that everybody knows by name. How do I get some of there business away? Or do I just focus on new business for my self, and not worry about the competition? When someone on a local facebook page ask, who would you recommend for carpet cleaning? its always the same 2 or 3 big guys. So I want to become that guy, but I know it s going to take some time!
I don't know much about advertising so I can't help much there, @Ryankettering is someone who a lot of people talk about here, I have only messaged him once or twice and didn't get a response. What has really worked for me are angies list, thumbtack.com, and referrals. Don't be an @ss and always be honest with the customer, if you don't know say so and ask for time to find out. I always go into a job with the attitude that my goal is not to make the customer happy, but to make their friend happy when I am done with the 2nd house. Not to brag but I cleaned a lady's house, her mother was refering me to friends even before I cleaned the mother's house. Pulled out of the driveway and booked the mother's friend on the phone. Give a solid price as well, there is no need for hidden/extra charges, if you can't make it with your prices raise them.

P.s. I know Bismarck and the area well. I grew up in Hazen, 70 miles northwest of bis, and my mom lives in Bismarck,have spent a few summers there in college as well.

Reactions: stuey4

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Diversify into furnace and duct cleaning like I did back in 2000 ( been in biz since 1993). Get a nice negative air machine / compressor etc. This gives you the upper hand against your competition ( carpet cleaning / furnace / duct cleaning go hand in hand) We do loads of residential " Combo's" ( carpet/ furnace & duct ) in one stop .
Jobs get $600-$700 real quick. Bismark ND loads of homes with forced air heating / cooling. Custy loves the one stop shopping ... clean vents first, set up and do carpets right afterwards.
Gives this some serious thought... ,made a huge difference for me diversifying into furnace and duct cleaning. Both for business and the upper hand over the competition. I live in a town of 3k just outside of Winnipeg. I service many small towns and rural areas ( don't just think Bismark think about all the other outside communities within 30 miles).
I have 3 other companies ( live and advertise) in my service area and then a shitload of guys in Winnipeg ( 30 miles away) that advertise out my way.
I'm by far the most expensive , thorough and reputable firm in Eastern Manitoba.
I've worked hard to ensure this. You can do the same in 5 years or less in your area .... marketing will be key!
Don't know anything about duct cleaning!!! No prob come up here for a ridealong.
Also know a guy in Morden Manitoba and also in North Dakota ( around Fargo I think) that are O/O offering CC and Furnace / duct

Last edited: