Is there a price chart for Water extraction?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I've never known how to price water damage jobs where it's just extracting the water.

Example: 1inch deep of category 1 water in 1400sq. ft. basement. It was a busted pipe.

I know how to do the job, I just don't know how I would price it. I've always went with an assumption of what I think it's worth. What are the facts on pricing jobs like that? Is there I chart I can go by when give my customer a quote on the cost?

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
I've never known how to price water damage jobs where it's just extracting the water.

Example: 1inch deep of category 1 water in 1400sq. ft. basement. It was a busted pipe.

I know how to do the job, I just don't know how I would price it. I've always went with an assumption of what I think it's worth. What are the facts on pricing jobs like that? Is there I chart I can go by when give my customer a quote on the cost?
This may be wrong but I go with $65 call out plus $90 a hour for category 1 extraction. If I'm only there 20 minutes they are still charged for a hour. So minimal charge would be $155.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
This may be wrong but I go with $65 call out plus $90 a hour for category 1 extraction. If I'm only there 20 minutes they are still charged for a hour. So minimal charge would be $155.
Where did you get those numbers? And how do you tell your customer that when they ask for a price up front?

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
Where did you get those numbers? And how do you tell your customer that when they ask for a price up front?
The call out charge is my standard after hours charge. The per hour charge is what I feel I need based on my business numbers to make this type of job profitable for me. I charge $100 per hour category 2 and $125 a hour for category 3. Increased risk increased price. Don't forget your carpet pad/old carpet removal fee. I forget what I charge on that but its by the sq ft. Cost of new pad. Pad install. Restretch carpet. Mildew preventative. Actual carpet cleaning. Line items

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
@matt30577 @awratchford
I wasn't aware either of you guys did water damage. This is something I would like to get into in the future. Did you guys take the classes to learn it?
I haven't taken any classes, just experience over the years. I have no desire to go big in it. I just take care of my previous customers on water damage, and I refuse to to CAT 3 jobs. It's not worth it for me to have that liability on me, due to lack of education and lack of equipment and employees to handle the risk.

But back to the pricing...I know how to do the job, I'm just looking for some sort of chart to base my price list on extracting the water only. I know how to price pad removal,Cost of new pad. Pad install. Restretch carpet, and Mildew preventative

Does anyone have some sort of organized chart they go by on damp carpet, soaked carpet, standing water on top of carpet

likenew89

Jul 24, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Real Name
dan
I haven't taken any classes, just experience over the years. I have no desire to go big in it. I just take care of my previous customers on water damage, and I refuse to to CAT 3 jobs. It's not worth it for me to have that liability on me, due to lack of education and lack of equipment and employees to handle the risk.

But back to the pricing...I know how to do the job, I'm just looking for some sort of chart to base my price list on extracting the water only. I know how to price pad removal,Cost of new pad. Pad install. Restretch carpet, and Mildew preventative

Does anyone have some sort of organized chart they go by on damp carpet, soaked carpet, standing water on top of carpet
Snap a picture of your job setup

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Don't forget to account for the furnishings which may me in there. Including all the junk basements tend to accumulate. ? Could be a big unknown. And take a lot of time to work around.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Don't forget to account for the furnishings which may me in there. Including all the junk basements tend to accumulate. ? Could be a big unknown. And take a lot of time to work around.
I would add the extra cost to move furniture, I'm aware of that. I would just like the actual charge to extract water. Assuming that this is a big empty room

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
If it is not an insurance job, I have flat hourly rates for myself and a helper (if needed). This way you don't have to track every little thing you do whether it is moving furniture, using a water claw or whatever. If dehu's or air movers are needed, they are rented by the day. Any carpet cleaning, deodorizer etc is at regular rates. I like to keep things simple.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Why is it so hard to get a number? My numbers are
1400sqft of 1inch deep water.

Should I double my cost for sq. ft.? should I just charge $100/hr while doing the extraction? Should I charge $50/ recovery tank of full water?

I know how to do water damage jobs, so I don't need a lesson in any of that. I know how to price everything else, except the heavy water extraction.

Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

Should I double my cost for sq. ft.? should I just charge $100/hr while doing the extraction? Should I charge $50/ recovery tank of full water?

I know how to do water damage jobs, so I don't need a lesson in any of that. I know how to price everything else, except the heavy water extraction.
$100 an hour is a good average for water extraction. Doesn't matter if you have to move furniture or have a long set up, the clock is still running at $100 an hour.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States

That is what I was saying...just pick an hourly rate and go with it (I use $125). The size of the job is irrelevant - 1,400 sq ft of 1" water could take 1 hour or 5 depending on hose run, type of water, type of flooring, amount of furniture, etc.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States

To the site is 150.00. I normally charge 110/ hr water extraction. I would estimate that tear out for 2 people at 6-8 hrs. 3.00 a yard t/o carpet and 2/yd to t/o pad. I normally extract the carpet and remove it in strips then extract the pad and do the same. :)

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States

Well I don't know pricing either :p I just go by whatever Xactimate tells me and that varies by region. There are different charges if its carpet or if its bare floor. My recent water job was .20/sq foot for extraction on concrete floor. I don't have Xactimate and don't really need it until much later. I just submit a work form into 911 and they build me an invoice for me. Pretty nice.