Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I'm looking for a high powered portable for my Sprinter van. Here in central Florida, it doesn't make sense for me to fire up my $30k ProChem Everest truckmounts for the same price that my competition charges, using much lesser machines. However, I need something with some decent vacuum or the quality will suffer. I want to use my truckmounts only on the premium rotary jobs that I do, since I get about double the money for those. For the wand jobs, upholstery, etc. I want to use a high powered portable in the Sprinter van. Not only will I save on gas by not using a truckmount but the Sprinter also gets about double the fuel economy of my Everest 650 equipped GMC vans.

My question is, does the Titan have auto dump, fill, chemical metering and a strong cat pump? The only pump I saw was a shurflo, which is similar to the dump pump I have in my Steamway 900 portable. That worries me. At least the Steamway has a high quality, powerful Cat pump. Having said this, if the Titan performs as claimed (500 psi, 350cfm) it might just be what I am looking for. I did not see any information regarding auto dump. Does it have it?

With the vacuum options, I am confused about which one to choose. The Steamway portable I have, has 3 vacs in series and it has major problems with leaving the carpet too wet. I am looking for something that will perform better than this. I think that I will likely take the portable out of the van and bring it either to the front door or garage and run it from there. Most of the time, it will not require more than 50' to 75' of vac hose.

MasterSteamClean

May 18, 2010
Fl
www.mastersteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Erik
Business Location
United States
I have a recoil and I installed the m-5 motors and replaced my 2 stage with one of the older 3 stage motors. being honest her you could barely tell the diference in motors. Having the 75 cfm really maked the long hose runs with ease

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
RJ, from what information I have gathered, the Recoil has 2 vac motors while the Titan has 3. Is this correct? In the video, there is also an inline booster but that could be added to the Titan as well. In other words, it seems that the Titan is one vacuum motor ahead of the Recoil. Is this incorrect? Finding complete information on these machines is difficult.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Alex,
Latest video for Recoil XPS 3 ... Call Ed valentine at Cross American for further information. Use search feature of this forum and the above link forum for more info on Recoil as well as Titan.

JIM M

Last edited by a moderator:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Alex we are having a TMF Porty Shoot Out here in Va June 12th. Maybe if your not in a hurry you could wait on the results. We will publish them right after the event.

Rob

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Alex we are having a TMF Porty Shoot Out here in Va June 12th. Maybe if your not in a hurry you wait on the results. We will publish them right after the event.

Rob
Are the big dogs going to be there? I am interested in the Recoil vs. Titan. Like I said before, from the information I have seen, the Recoil is one vac motor short of the Titan. Does anybody know if this is true?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So far most of the big dogs will be there. Where are you getting your Titan?

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Alex,
Latest video for Recoil XPS 3 ... Call Ed valentine at Cross American for further information. Use search feature of this forum and the above link forum for more info on Recoil as well as Titan.

JIM M
Thanks for the video links, Jim. I have doubts about the wisdom in putting a water pressure gauge on the wand. First of all, it is vulnerable to being broken by reaching under beds etc. Secondly, if I desire to lower the pressure for an upholstery tool, I want to be able to do it at the machine. Very odd.
It is a good looking machine, otherwise but I would have preferred some more specific information and a view under the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
So far most of the big dogs will be there. Where are you getting your Titan?
I didn't get anything yet. I'm trying to find the right information before making a choice. However, I saw that the Titan is on sale for only $2400, plus another $200 for auto chemical metering. It has three 3 stage vac motors. The Recoil is a much better looking machine but performance and price are the most important determining factors in my decision.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I didn't get anything yet. I'm trying to find the right information before making a choice. However, I saw that the Titan is on sale for only $2400, plus another $200 for auto chemical metering. It has three 3 stage vac motors. The Recoil is a much better looking machine but performance and price are the most important determining factors in my decision.
As they should be.
Larry Cobb built this unit correct? Larry does nothing second rate from what I have seen.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I don't know who Larry Cobb is. Which machine did he build, the Recoil or the Titan?

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Alex,
Not sure why Ed had pressure gauge lying on top of wand. THERE IS NO GAUGE AT WAND. An external gauge is offered .Did you watch all 3 videos ? The gauge is explained in one of them as well as the pressure adjustment at machine.There are an few pics of the "guts" on this forum as well the forum I referred you to.Research-research-research !!!!
Good Luck

MasterSteamClean

May 18, 2010
Fl
www.mastersteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Erik
Business Location
United States
RJ, from what information I have gathered, the Recoil has 2 vac motors while the Titan has 3. Is this correct? In the video, there is also an inline booster but that could be added to the Titan as well. In other words, it seems that the Titan is one vacuum motor ahead of the Recoil. Is this incorrect? Finding complete information on these machines is difficult.
ou might

I think you might be mistaken, The recoil has stock 2 -3stages and a builtin 2 satge motor 3 motors total and in rickys video he had a inline booster as well that makes 4 motors 400 cfm

Jeff Madsen

Sep 7, 2009
Lincoln, Ne
lincoln-area-rug-cleaning.com
Real Name
Jeff Madsen
Business Location
United States
In watching Ed's videos he makes a statement about "top-line" efficiency. I think he's talking about maintaining air flow and lift as the waste tank fills up. It would interesting to test that out at the porty shootout. Not only different hose lengths but different fill levels.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
What is that ridiculous black hose coming out of one side of the Recoil? I wonder if I could go a week without ripping that off?

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
Alex, that hose you call ridiculous is an extra 100 cfms if you choose to you the built in booster vac. I had a Recoil 3HP and rarely did it get knocked off. Mostly it was truckmounted so of course it was stationary. However we had jobs where we had to bring inside for security reasons etc... What you saw on mine that is different that the new XPS second generation was a gate valve. So if I was in a older home with old 15 amps fuses and I coud just shut the gate and run 2 vacuum motors 200 cfm without blowing any fuses. However now with the "intellegent airflow management system" there is no gate to shut or open. It does everything automatic. This took a lot of thought to come up with this system!

Jan Sullins
american kleen pro

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
Hello Alex, I think you are putting down portables underservingly. The new high performance portables are unbelievable! Combine a high volacity portable and a 360i rotary and the results are stellar! I live in Miami and I feel some of your pains and concerns. I have been in business 21 years and I have never cleaned with or even used a truck mount. Ironically, many of my clients don't want "the big truck with hoses coming from my driveway" type cleaning. Generally, they have had bad over-wetting experiences with truckmount cleaners(especially with the big franchises) and they prefer my "portable low moisture cleaning". So my portable is an advantage over the big truckmount.
Now, I'm due for an equipment upgrade and I will wait for the porty shoot out to get the best portable system available because my clients deserve the best possible cleaning.

I am sure that there are other areas of this country that have a large percentage of bottom feeders, much like Florida has. It is my opinion that these new, high powered portables have a very important role in these areas. Truckmounts simply cost too much to own, run, etc and it doesn't make sense to run them through their lifespan on low cost jobs. There are a lot of people here in Florida who don't want to hear about the 30k truckmounts I have and don't have the intelligence to realize that it is directly related to the results they get. Up to now, I have been offering two tiers of service; 1. steam cleaning 2. rotary. The problem is, I think it makes more sense to use a portable for the wand jobs and save wear and tear on my truckmounts. The portables seem to have enough power to satisfy these low expectation consumers and for the consumers with higher standards, they will get what they pay for in the Everest/rotary combination. I think it is a very smart strategy considering the range of clientele here in FL.

What most people don't realize is that Florida is not a paradise. It has poor education, very high crime, is full of degenerates and losers, has a large percentage of people who are barely making enough money for food etc. It's not like having a carpet cleaning business in NY, MA, CT, etc. It takes a completely different strategy to succeed. You have some people who seek quality and are willing to pay for it. You have a large percentage of people who think they can get quality for bottom basement prices and you have a large percentage of people who don't give a hoot and only want the cheapest price they can find.

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I don't know who Larry Cobb is. Which machine did he build, the Recoil or the Titan?
Alex,

Larry Cobb builds the Titan (I believe with Ken Harris) and Ed Valentine builds the Recoil. You might also want to check out Mytee and Truckforce.

Also, is this consumer decline you're experiencing recent or has this been a constant issue in your market?