Is the Sapphire 370ss significantly better than the Boxxer 318? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is the Sapphire 370ss significantly better than the Boxxer 318?

psufan215

Feb 21, 2011
FL
Real Name
Bill Glinka
Business Location
United States
I have owned a Boxxer 318 for about 6 years now. 3 years ago I purchased a 2nd van and purchased another Boxxer 318.
I purchased the same machine so both vans would have the same machine and this way anyone that worked with me
would understand how to work with either van. In hindsight I have always regretted that decision because I feel I should have
purchased a Boxxer 427 or a Sapphire 370SS so that van could be used for services the other van could not perform.

I do most residential and small commercial jobs. For the most part I try not to go over 150 ft of vacuum hose but every
once in a while I run 200 ft of hose. I am considering trading in my newest Boxxer 318 (which only has 500 hours on it)
and getting a Sapphire 370 SS.

The sales people tell me the 370ss is far superior. They say the Boxxer 318 is more entry level performance and that
I will get more heat to clean carpets better, better performance at 150-200 hose runs, higher pressure (1500 vs 1000psi)
which would make tile & grout cleaning easier and faster and I get the ability to control my heat compared to a bypass
on the 318 which regulates the heat.
The dealer is only offering $5,500 for my trade---and basically $15,000 for the new 370 with my trade and Sapphire is including
a $1500 rebate on the machine if purchased by the end of December. So total additional cost would be $13,500.
I am trading the newer machine only because the van its in is in better condition that the other van with the older boxxer.

So my question is---Is the Sapphire 370 SS worth spending an extra $13,500? Money is not my main concern. I have
made money over the past 3 years with the boxer 318 and I was going to purchase the 370SS three years ago so its
just as if I would be doing what I planned on doing 3 years ago.

My question is mainly on the performance.
I would like to hear from anyone who has personally used both units. Will the 370 make cleaning tile & grout faster and easier?
Will it make a noticeable difference in cleaning carpets and dry times? Will it perform much better on 150-200 ft hose runs?
Is it worth the additional investment?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Just buy a portable air booster, problem solved

Chris K

Jan 8, 2017
Springfield, Ohio
Real Name
Chris Kelley
I don't think you'll notice much of a difference. A little more heat, but no really on vacuum.

The 36 blower is actually not much different than the smaller #4's.

The 318 spins the 36 at 3150 rpm, giving you around 290 CFM and you can run it at 14" of lift.

The 370 spins its 46 blower at 3000 rpm, giving you around 320 CFM. Same lift if you adjust it up to 214" like the 318.

I can't see you noticing a difference.

IMO, if you are going to upgrade, go to the 570 or 575, that's where you'll get a definite difference, plus you get a bulletproof liquid-cooled motor. If you can't go that far, stick with the 318s. Grab a booster like posted above.

psufan215

Feb 21, 2011
FL
Real Name
Bill Glinka
Business Location
United States
Thank you so much for your responses and for anyone else that responds. I really appreciate it. With that being said----What's a portable air booster? My only experiences with truckmounts was a 25 HP used TM I purchased about 10 years ago---no name brand. Then I bought a 20 HP chemspec which was far better than the 25HP no name brand model I had used. I thought the chemspec TM was awesome until it started breaking down too much and then I got the Boxxer 318. Less HP, less everything "spec wise" yet it totally outperformed both above mentioned TM's.

Is it safe for me to assume a Sapphire Rage and Boxxer 318 are basically in the same class of truck mount? Would that assumption be correct? I assume the 370 ss cost 5K more for a reason. Wouldn't the 370 ss be considered more the middle of the road TM? Something worth spending an extra 5K compared to the Rage and Boxxer.

Why would it not make much of a difference using a 370ss compared to a boxxer 318? What makes the Sapphire 570 worth spending 8k more than the 370? I do not need any dual wand capabilities. I do not do much if any flood restoration. About the most flooding I get involved with is someone's toilet over flowed or there was a small leak in the roof. I primarily clean carpet & tile in houses and some small commercial jobs requiring me to at most go up to the 2nd or 3rd floor using a maximum of 250 feet of hose. I suppose that is because those are the constraints I have with the Boxxer so that is what I stick too. Having a bigger machine would probably allow me to expand my capabilities.

To make matters worse I just found out today that my back up van with the boxer 318 blew a head gasket and there is a problem with the transmission---UUgghh. This is what I get relying on an employee to take care of things. I told him to get the radiator checked out months ago and obviously he didn't. Now I have another dilemma. Do I just sell that TM and stick with 1 good van. I don't use the 2nd van too much. I usually just keep it for when my newer van and TM is in the shop or I am so busy I need that 2nd van out in the field for a few days here and there. Decisions Decisions.....

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Thank you so much for your responses and for anyone else that responds. I really appreciate it. With that being said----What's a portable air booster? My only experiences with truckmounts was a 25 HP used TM I purchased about 10 years ago---no name brand. Then I bought a 20 HP chemspec which was far better than the 25HP no name brand model I had used. I thought the chemspec TM was awesome until it started breaking down too much and then I got the Boxxer 318. Less HP, less everything "spec wise" yet it totally outperformed both above mentioned TM's.

Is it safe for me to assume a Sapphire Rage and Boxxer 318 are basically in the same class of truck mount? Would that assumption be correct? I assume the 370 ss cost 5K more for a reason. Wouldn't the 370 ss be considered more the middle of the road TM? Something worth spending an extra 5K compared to the Rage and Boxxer.

Why would it not make much of a difference using a 370ss compared to a boxxer 318? What makes the Sapphire 570 worth spending 8k more than the 370? I do not need any dual wand capabilities. I do not do much if any flood restoration. About the most flooding I get involved with is someone's toilet over flowed or there was a small leak in the roof. I primarily clean carpet & tile in houses and some small commercial jobs requiring me to at most go up to the 2nd or 3rd floor using a maximum of 250 feet of hose. I suppose that is because those are the constraints I have with the Boxxer so that is what I stick too. Having a bigger machine would probably allow me to expand my capabilities.

To make matters worse I just found out today that my back up van with the boxer 318 blew a head gasket and there is a problem with the transmission---UUgghh. This is what I get relying on an employee to take care of things. I told him to get the radiator checked out months ago and obviously he didn't. Now I have another dilemma. Do I just sell that TM and stick with 1 good van. I don't use the 2nd van too much. I usually just keep it for when my newer van and TM is in the shop or I am so busy I need that 2nd van out in the field for a few days here and there. Decisions Decisions.....
Growth problems it seems. Good for you to be in this position. Some could say I dont know Shit from Shinola considering how young I am in this industry but there is a couple vets here that have talked up performance on the reliabuilts as well as their simple reliability. One thing that was said that stands ut was that even at 200' it is hard get the wand ff the carpet...Sounds like pretty good vacuum.

Are you in PA?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I've used a Sapphire Rage, Sapphire 370 and I personally own the 570 Apex.

I've also used the Prochem Everest 650, Blue Line Blue Wave & Thermal Wave, Hydramaster 4.8 CDS, Sapphire 1200 PTO, Prochem GT Legend.

A 370 is more powerful than a Rage, but not worth upgrading from a 2 year old machine. So yes, a portable Air Booster for $1,500 will easily make a night and day difference on your suction which will be greatly more important than any other aspect of the machine. The Rage got hotter than the 370 (whether that was a good thing or not I couldn't tell you).