Is the janitorial business even worth it? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is the janitorial business even worth it?

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
My experience in janitorial differes from most here. I think it's the area and your competition. I've been doing it about 14 years and it has treated me great. My county has about 35k people, and only a few other people who clean commercially. I have almost the whole market on locally owned businesses, and I have the larger accounts that are worth having. I dont bid anything under $30 an hour and some are well over $40. I've had the same 6 subcontractors and employees for over 7 years now. I dont worry about a thing. Working 3-4 hrs a night 5 days a week with my wife we can net 6 figures.
I've consistently raised prices and also consistently raised quality. The only accounts that left us hired us back after being unhappy with other cleaners. Just like carpet cleaning varies a huge amount in quality, so does janitorial. Again, just like carpet cleaning, find the customers who want quality work and will pay.
Obviously I live in a strange market and in a unique situation I guess. But I'm sure there are those customers in other areas, just have to find them.
Another thing, in 14 yrs of owning my own buisness, i havnt advertised once. Haven't had to.

Reactions: DDLP

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
This morning I received a text message from the same crazy customer they stated in the entire dinner roll was left on the carpet with a picture my staff and I both walked through the building moved out every chair and look behind them before we were done cleaning so now I'm in the awkward position of telling the customer then essentially there they have an employee that is sought sabotaging us

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Did you just look or did u vacuum? If just looking could have easily been overlooked....

If u went to the trouble of moving the chairs hopefully u vacuumed too

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Did you just look or did u vacuum? If just looking could have easily been overlooked....

Of course duh I was watching them do it they brush it off onto the floor when they were done we don't white tables were not maids

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater

Oh that's right you're the guy that claims that he cleaned $175,000 rug and doesn't have evidence to back lol

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
If u was the lowest bidder on the contract your probably ok. If not you could only expect them to try the next service in line.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I have plenty of evidence as u call it but don't have to prove anything to anyone except to the person paying the bill.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If u was the lowest bidder on the contract your probably ok. If not you could only expect them to try the next service in line.
Not even close we've been there for 20 years they're just a crazy ones

You try to tell me that wasn't place there this morning
123_1~2.jpeg

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
It does look out of place with no other debris nearby. I believe we would have to have an immediate meeting concerning what you presume and what was done(known) in this area.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
It does look out of place with no other debris nearby. I believe we would have to have an immediate meeting concerning what you presume and what was done(known) in this area.
Just last week at that same building we had that very meeting you're discussing someone hidden Hershey's kisses on top of and around and behind things we found 19. We also know the individual that is doing it their sister owns a cleaning business. in the client access is simply not possible that she's the one doing it. Even though every time they have an issue she turns up and says my sister would do better.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I’ve been in the Jan San business for 27 years. Although I’m in Canada but it’s been very profitable. I believe the key is to know how to price, do 10% of all the work in your area and make sure it’s the most profitable. Never use your competition as a guid to your direction. I’ve seen many many many janitorial business come and go over the years. Lots with the attitude of putting me out of business. Any fool can get work. The key is to make good money doing it. Let the other idiots run around doing the 90% your not doing. There just not making what they should and will burn out. When charging the most be sure your worth it and don’t deviate from the business model. And take pride.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
If you have already addressed this issue and I'm assuming it was not with this sister cleaner person, then I would document our scheduled cleanings with a lot of pictures and store them by date. Block this person from your phone, reassure the person in charge that you are doing a good job and you are cooperating with them to resolve the problem. Hopefully they trust you.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If you have already addressed this issue and I'm assuming it was not with this sister cleaner person, then I would document our scheduled cleanings with a lot of pictures and store them by date. Block this person from your phone, reassure the person in charge that you are doing a good job and you are cooperating with them to resolve the problem. Hopefully they trust you.
Well another layer that makes us even more complicated is this building is open to the general public. They serve about 200 seniors a day

they do have security cameras and we asked if they would view the security cameras and see if that roll was there or if someone placed it there. In the morning

The response was less than pleasant they said no you just left it

The other issue is we speak directly to the maintenance supervisor he's the one who sent us the picture. I do believe that he feels that we didn't leave it and that it was placed.

But I also feel that he's not going to stick his neck out to defend anyone

So right now to deal with this insane customer we're at Best buy in buying GoPros for each of our staff that clean that facility I don't know how else to resolve it than video evidence lol

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I would just apologize and move on. As soon as you get defensive, they get offensive. I'd just say sorry, we will be more careful next time. It defuses the situation. It's not about being right or wrong. Proving that your right doesnt help anything, just frustrates them.

Reactions: floorclean

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I would just apologize and move on. As soon as you get defensive, they get offensive. I'd just say sorry, we will be more careful next time. It defuses the situation. It's not about being right or wrong. Proving that your right doesnt help anything, just frustrates them.
Believe me we tried. But they are honestly a client I should just let go. Out of 18 facilities that we clean. They take up the biggest chunk of my time And it's to the point they want me cleaning it not my staff. frankly my time is better spent elsewhere.

You know it's hard to say that you can only take so much. But we've been in that building for 20 years and sometimes it's best just to cut ties before you burn Bridges

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Ya eventually it's not worth it. I've has some picky office managers who are just miserable people. They complain just to put others down. I just apologize for every complaint and tell them we will double check next time or try to do better. Eventually they realize they aren't bothering us with their whining and then they just shut up. I think communication is the biggest weakness of most janitorial companies. By the time they hear a complaint the customer is already annoyed and has had several gripes. If you checking in enough to stay on their good side sometimes tthat makes all the difference. Again, it's not always possible, but it helps.

Reactions: Ymetimme

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I would've taken some JB Weld and made sure that roll never leaves the floor again

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I would've taken some JB Weld and made sure that roll never leaves the floor again
It should be JB welded to the carpet and encase in lucite as convicting evidence that the cleaning people are the worst human beings on the planet

For anybody that's interested we went over to meet with him security officer had footage of my cleaning staff vacuuming the vert under the very chair where that role is. Lol

Then a staff member accused the security guy of altering the footage lol

Thank goodness it's only 2 hours to 5
wait I can't drink I have to go and check on their stupid job lol