Is it really not as effective to have a portable unit vs one mounted in a van? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is it really not as effective to have a portable unit vs one mounted in a van?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
They're effective. Some are strong enough to leave on a van. But i always still prefered to use that extra bit of cfm/lift to my advantage. And keep machine close to the work area. Within 60' most times.

Reactions: spf5million

spf5million

Oct 13, 2020
Real Name
Lorraine Goodrich
They're effective. Some are strong enough to leave on a van. But i always still prefered to use that extra bit of cfm/lift to my advantage. And keep machine close to the work area. Within 60' most times.
I heard just now they're not as effective because the dirt can stay in and it can smell. Which machines are like that? Also read that people aren't always as successful when they start with a machine. It is hard that way. Why? Why do people fail sometimes this way?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I heard just now they're not as effective because the dirt can stay in and it can smell. Which machines are like that? Also read that people aren't always as successful when they start with a machine. It is hard that way. Why? Why do people fail sometimes this way?
They fail because they have no experience.
As far as dirt staying in the machine. Its more likely they just dont rinse them out at end of day. Ive seen some nasty machines. I wouldnt put my hand in them. It only takes one extra bucket to rinse out the waste tank. Leave lid off to dry overnight.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Portable will never be as strong as a truckmount or provide the same level of heat. Now, you can get a carpet very well clean with a portable but it won't be nearly as fast as with a truck mount.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
If the carpet smells after the cleaner is finished that means the cleaner is garbage not the machine.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
If you do your research and are careful you can be very successful with a portable. It won't be as effective as a truckmount but it's also 10-20 thousand cheaper and can fit in a used minivan. You just need to figure out the growth model you want to have and if you want to invest now, later, or possibly never if you keep things small.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Portable will never be as strong as a truckmount or provide the same level of heat. Now, you can get a carpet very well clean with a portable but it won't be nearly as fast as with a truck mount.
That be the only difference. Efficiency. Which some guys have become pretty efficient with portables. Their helpers on the other hand maybe not.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well I also prefer a rotary style of cleaning, and I definitely don't advise using a Trex with a portable

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
Portables have their purpose and level of effectiveness, under no circumstance will I ever use a portable to substitute a truck mount unit where the truck mount unit is well capable. on the other hand truck mount units have their limitations, distance would be one limitation, in that case, portables offer a good alternative if you know what you are doing, If the carpets smell after a few days of cleaning, it means windows were left unopened or you put down too much water and not enough suction or both

Reactions: Fedri

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If the carpet smells after the cleaner is finished that means the cleaner is garbage not the machine.
Lol i thought he meant the dirt can be left in the machine. Fk it nevermind o_O

spf5million

Oct 13, 2020
Real Name
Lorraine Goodrich
If you do your research and are careful you can be very successful with a portable. It won't be as effective as a truckmount but it's also 10-20 thousand cheaper and can fit in a used minivan. You just need to figure out the growth model you want to have and if you want to invest now, later, or possibly never if you keep things small.
Yes most likely I would like to keep things small. I dont want to run a huge business! But I /would/ like to save up for a truck mount. Just curious if its hard to start in a small but fast growing vacation town like mine where.. most people probably already have an arrangement with a carpet cleaner they know. I would have no problem keeping my machine super clean and maintained, and digging for every little scrap of research I need. I'm really good at research. But marketing ? I live smack in the middle between two huge cities, austin and san antonio so I could get business from both. But I just want to do carpet cleaning. I've no experience cleaning flood damage, toxic waste or biohazards. I've thought about this for a long time and weighed different floor care jobs I could do.. stripping and waxing, buffing, power washing. Honestly carpet cleaning seems the most essential. I would be willing to do grout cleaning and floor buffing too eventually.

But I want to run a really tight little business I want to know my blind spots.. I would rather do a ton of research than go get a carpet cleaning job though. I already have a job. In this economy/ situation I dont want to risk losing it.

Last edited:

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Yes most likely I would like to keep things small. I dont want to run a huge business! I am just curious if its hard to start in a small but fast growing vacation town like mine where.. most people probably already have an arrangement with a carpet cleaner they know. I would have no problem keeping my machine super clean and maintained, and digging for every little scrap of research I need. I'm really good at research. But marketing ? I live smack in the middle between two huge cities, austin and san antonio so I could get business from both. But I just want to do carpet cleaning. I've no experience cleaning flood damage, toxic waste or biohazards. I've thought about this for a long time and weighed different floor care jobs I could do.. stripping and waxing, buffing, power washing. Honestly carpet cleaning seems the most essential. I would be willing to do grout cleaning and floor buffing too eventually.

But I want to run a really tight little business I want to know my blind spots.. I would rather do a ton of research than go get a carpet cleaning job though. I already have a job. In this economy/ situation I dont want to risk losing it.
If you plan to move up to tile and grout cleaning eventually but want to stay with a portable setup you would most likely want one that can go up to at least 800psi. One machine to handle all your needs. And for agitation on both carpet and tile a 10 inch CRB may be a good fit to keep things small and lightweight.

spf5million

Oct 13, 2020
Real Name
Lorraine Goodrich

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Why doesn't a rotary scrubber work well with a portable?
Pump isn't usually big enough to provide a big enough GPM and also the CFMs aren't as good for stopping it from overwetting the carpets.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
If you have never cleaned carpets, tile / grout, upholstery ( you will be asked to clean uph. all the time ) • • •
learn, learn, learn first. Learn first, then you’ll have most of these, and so many other questions you don’t know to ask, answered.
You just can’t “go get a machine” and get busy. Things will go wrong and you won’t know why • • much less how to reverse them.

I don’t know anything about TMF Academy ( probably a good thing to ask Rob about ), IICRC will give you the fundamental knowledge you must have before equipment is considered.