Is it a good idea to buy one length of 150ft solution line? Or should I just buy 3 50ft sections? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is it a good idea to buy one length of 150ft solution line? Or should I just buy 3 50ft sections?

B14

Aug 26, 2014
investincleanfloors.com
Real Name
Bry
Does it really matter? I can’t remember who it was on here but they had said it’s good practice to switch out a length of solution line at a time. What are your guys’ thoughts?

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Does it really matter? I can’t remember who it was on here but they had said it’s good practice to switch out a length of solution line at a time. What are your guys’ thoughts?
Buy 3 50ft. I got 100ft and it gets tangle all the time. This 50 ft , you can disconnect if it’s tangled.

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Whatever suits your needs. If your lines freeze up, it's easier to get 50' section in the sink to get it thawed. When comes to reeling in, I like longer runs, because you don't have to deal with bulky QD's, so in my case I have custom made lengths around 70-80' and also 20' leader with a shut off valve. Until now I had about 500' of solution lines I have wised up and got rid of old lines and kept only half of it.
Think about all these options and decide what's best for you. Good luck.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I preferred the 50' lengths so that I could replace sections and not worry about springing a leak or encountering black death.

Reactions: longkenn

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you are running a live reel, one continuous section is best. If you only use a certain amount no matter the job, only put that amount on the reel (carry extra sections of 50 foot for the Oddball job). Having one continuous section of 250 ft when you only use 125 ft is wasting a pile of heat in the reel, it's dumb. Swap end for end on the reel after a year and a half, then replace. Carry field repair couplings in the van, they will save your bacon on the job. 5 minutes and your back to cleaning.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I used to use 50 ft. lengths all the time, but switched to a 100 ft. for my first hose. I prefer not to have a quick coupler inside the home. Most of the time the 100 ft. is all I need for most jobs. I'll never go back to all 50's again although I still keep them to add to my first hose. Just preference I guess.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I have a 100 foot lead hose that goes in the house and then the rest are 50’s.

Every year I buy a new 100 footer and I have my old one cut in half to two 50’s. I rotate the hoses through and toss the oldest ones.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
150' on a live reel...2 50' hanging in the van. The ones hanging in the van look new. They are seldom used.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I ran a 150' length for many years and I liked it but have since switched over to the 50' lengths. I don't have a live hose reel. What I like most about the 50' lengths is I can just pull one off real quick and spray down my truck or clean tools and then reel it up and that's it. I wash the truck several times a week. And even with a live reel, you're waiting for the water from the machine to get to the end of the hose... for instance sometimes when I wash the truck off I'll turn off the chemical injection and it will take some time to go through the 50' section and would take a lot longer to go through a lot more hose. Just something to think about.

Also, if it ever gets all tangled up in a job it's easy to disconnect the hoses and untangle them.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I used to use 50 ft. lengths all the time, but switched to a 100 ft. for my first hose. I prefer not to have a quick coupler inside the home. Most of the time the 100 ft. is all I need for most jobs. I'll never go back to all 50's again although I still keep them to add to my first hose. Just preference I guess.

here are the points for having a longer 1st section of solution hose.
-if you live in cold weather, there are no quick connects outside and that's where the water will freeze because of the metal (brass or ss) PLUS the water narrows inside the quick connect so that's where it will freeze. If you like to thaw out a solution hose when its 10 degrees below zero, go ahead and get smaller sections.
-no quick connects (except for exceptionally long hose runs) inside the house. Don't have to worry about scraping the floors etc
-(this is the one that most people miss) If you reel a hose with a quick connect on a reel, the hose bends the most at the end of each hose bend restrictor. Most cleaners like to reel their hose on tight on the reel and if you do that your putting more pressure on that point on the hose thereby shortening the life of the hose. If the hose has no couplers there is no place it will have weak points.

personally I like a 125 foot first run because in my area almost all jobs its just right. 100 ft would be just a couple feet short sometimes and 150 ft would be just too much. So I have my first vac hose 50 feet, then a 25 foot section, the 25 feet thereafter. The shorter the vac hose, the better the suction (as long as you have good cuffs)

as far as replacing the hose, I just replace it every year - two at most - and sell the old one on ebay for 1/2 the cost of new, so in essence your getting new hose regularly for 50% off.

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
I like to run a 100’ leader hose. This will usually get you outside before you need to connect a extra 50’ if needed. Used to just run 50’ sections, but Learned the hard way with techs and leaky connection fittings inside the house.

Cost me a hardwood floor sand and refinishing job in the customers home.

Now we use 100’ leader lines in the vans. Works great.

Reactions: Joe cool

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I went to 100 foot solution line a few years ago. Seemed to kink up more and be harder to work with especially when rolling on the hose reel. Workers hated it. With the 50 footers the swivels help so it does not kink as much and rolls up faster without having to stretch it out.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
well there you have it. Id say its 50/50 100 foot or 50 foot.

Now what are you going to do?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
personally I like a 125 foot first run because in my area almost all jobs its just right. 100 ft would be just a couple feet short

Isn’t that the truth. It seems that every job I do is just over 100 feet. The 100 footer is always 5-10 feet short of reaching the machine.

I actually have a 25 footer as my second hose so I have 100, 25, 50, 50, 50, 50.

For the vac hoses my first 2 are 50’s, then a 25, and the rest 50’s.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Solution reel has a 125' and a 100' (dual wands so we run 2 solution lines in).

Hanging in the van are more solution lines, 125' for backup, 3 -30' and a 25'.

Vac hose reel has 4 -50' and 2 -25' sections. Hanging on the wall is a 30', a 25', and a 15' section of 2" vac hose.

This usually will cover any setup we do without having to use excess amounts of hose.