Is Doing Just Water Removal a Good Move?

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
Xactimate pricing is pretty much an standard....Know it and what it pays out for losses......justify the work you perform. Measure affected areas, list drying eqpt., moisture mapping(daily temps, Rh and dehumidifier output)..and lots of photos..would be a good start.

linemech31

Apr 23, 2009
NH
DearbornCleaning.net
Real Name
Andrew Dearborn
Business Location
United States
I had the free trial of xactimate but was too busy during the month to sit down and start to learn it. Do they make a paper copy of it? Its pretty crude the way I handle it now. And I know I have been leaving money on the table. My focus over the last year has been on acquiring the equipment needed and not enough on using it properly.

Sent from my LGL86C using TMF Forums mobile app

Restoration Marketer

Member Support @ More Floods
Premium VIP
Jul 13, 2011
More Floods, Inc.
www.MoreFloods.com
Real Name
Chris Perry
Business Location
United States
I am not 100% on this and it is more my opinion but I think it would be about the same. More Floods may want you to use a certain make and model as part of their marketing program.
In a way, you're absolutely right. We recommend all of your equipment look the same throughout the years (you don't want 3 different types of air movers on a loss...sends the wrong message to the home/business owner) and the Dri-Eaz brand makes it easy to do just that. Our recommendation is simply for consistency and longevity, regardless of the brand.

Way too much equipment for small losses that you are potentially going to go after. Nothing against More Floods but this list is way to comprehensive for what you are looking for.
Solid advice and we couldn't agree more if Greg was only going to focus on the small jobs. It's overkill for someone that's looking for the occasional job (that's why we haven't posted anything of the sort on here previously). We sent that quick list over only after hearing he's getting more serious about getting a steady flow of restoration work through the pipeline. After meeting Greg last week during training, we're confident he'll be adding to his arsenal sooner that previously expected.

Luke S.

Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis
www.lsmain.com
Real Name
Luke Stead
Business Location
United States
Here's what I recommend,doing small "dry downs" only. These usually consist of only 1-4 rooms affected. You can opt with cat 1 & 2 clean up only. Refer the sewage ones and get a referral fee from a larger water damage company. Stick with hot water heaters,a/c's and broken pipes best. These losses will keep you in the 1000-20,000 range. Not a bad place to be. And it's easy. ;)

Here is a short list;

1) Extract
2) Tear out floors that won't dry (vinyl)
3) Remove baseboards,drill 1" holes every 6"
4) Rent or buy 12 air movers (approx 3 to each room)
5) Rent or buy 4 dehus (approx 1 per room)
6) Rent or buy moisture meter
7) Spray inject anti-micobial in holes and spray on affected all areas
8) Check on it each day,usually 3 days to dry down
9) Make sure you collect deductible
10) Put all profits towards buying more air movers & dehus
11) Burn down the house

Dorothy Hart

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne
Real Name
Dorothy Hart
Oh yes, the mould can spread into your entire house, if you don't treat it on time! I have this problem in my bathroom during the winter. I'm not sure if the mould is so dangerous if not killed, but I suppose it is, because I'm sure it's not healthy to breathe in the spores. I would get rid of it as soon as I can, if I were you.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I use the phrase "Dry Downs"? ;)

Reactions: Frank DiGi

A1CS

Feb 24, 2012
South Dakota
www.A-1CarpetService.com
Real Name
Harold Pastian
Business Location
United States
I don't really have interest in becoming a floor/fire restoration guy like ServPro. Have good carpet/tile/upoholstery/airduct work…. BUT… Is there much opportunity if I wanted to do JUST the water removal in homes that have had broken water pipes or other cause of indoor flooding? I can break out my CFX for that and just remove the water…. But I don't want to do carpet/pad/tile/wood/mold removal stuff. Am I being too narrow minded, or is there any real opportunity in just removing the water?

Good Idea if you live in Vienna

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
You can dry out and walk.... no problem. The insurance company will have a list of local preferred contractors to complete the job.
You can get your GC license and hire subs. Or you can work with a local contractor and refer the project to them. Know that when working insurance, all involved will need to be in align with the insurance companies billing and pricing policies.

On all jobs I will use:
extraction unit
Air movers
dehumidifiers
ext. cords
disinfectant w/sprayer
Moisture meters
camera
RH meter
stapler
plastic
zip wall poles
preservation tape
hepa vac
trash bags
broom and dust pan
misc. hand tools
power drill and 5/8" paddle bit

mikkel99

Dec 2, 2013
Real Name
mikkel henderson
You can dry out and walk.... no problem. The insurance company will have a list of local preferred contractors to complete the job.
You can get your GC license and hire subs. Or you can work with a local contractor and refer the project to them. Know that when working insurance, all involved will need to be in align with the insurance companies billing and pricing policies.

On all jobs I will use:
extraction unit
Air movers
dehumidifiers
ext. cords
disinfectant w/sprayer
Moisture meters
camera
RH meter
stapler
plastic
zip wall poles
preservation tape
hepa vac
trash bags
broom and dust pan
misc. hand tools
power drill and 5/8" paddle bit

what a hepa vac ?

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
HEPA: high efficiency particulate absorption vacuum. Nilfisk and Pullman-Holt are two poular manufacturers. Or a good shop vac with a paper filter and a filter bag......you want everything clean and tidy before turning the air movers on. Customer will not be happy when you blow drywall and latex dust throughout their home. You will be liable to clean their house if it gets contaminated with dust,...plus many people are allergic to latex which is the glue that holds the primary and secondary carpet backing together. Which will start your next question. Do you have hazard insurance for the specific liabilities that come with doing restoration work? Speak with your provider to be sure.
Insurance requires you to dry the structure, in a timely manner(3-5 days), so that a contractor can repair......prevent further expendures to the claim( ALE ) and close the file on the loss.
They will want to see justification for your billing in a format that they can work with. Mearsure and list all work performed. Perform daily humidity and temperature checks and record them to present with the billing. Photos....lots of photos, showing your work before, during and after. Most of all, keep the customer and the adjuster informed of daily progress, either through email, phone calls or personal contact. Readers Digest version!

mikkel99

Dec 2, 2013
Real Name
mikkel henderson
HEPA: high efficiency particulate absorption vacuum. Nilfisk and Pullman-Holt are two poular manufacturers. Or a good shop vac with a paper filter and a filter bag......you want everything clean and tidy before turning the air movers on. Customer will not be happy when you blow drywall and latex dust throughout their home. You will be liable to clean their house if it gets contaminated with dust,...plus many people are allergic to latex which is the glue that holds the primary and secondary carpet backing together. Which will start your next question. Do you have hazard insurance for the specific liabilities that come with doing restoration work? Speak with your provider to be sure.
Insurance requires you to dry the structure, in a timely manner(3-5 days), so that a contractor can repair......prevent further expendures to the claim( ALE ) and close the file on the loss.
They will want to see justification for your billing in a format that they can work with. Mearsure and list all work performed. Perform daily humidity and temperature checks and record them to present with the billing. Photos....lots of photos, showing your work before, during and after. Most of all, keep the customer and the adjuster informed of daily progress, either through email, phone calls or personal contact. Readers Digest version![/quote

OK thanks I been getting my equipment together now to offer that service

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TMF Forums mobile app

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
What you will need to record is; The date, RH and Temp outside, RH and Temp in an unaffected room in the home, RH and Temp in the affected area and the RH and Temp from the main dehumidifiers exhaust output. If more than one level is affected....record a RH and Temp check for that additional room and dehumidifier output. If you do not have, in your arsenal of reference material, a copy of the s500 standard from the IICRC....highly suggest the purchase.

Last edited: