Is Doing Just Water Removal a Good Move? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is Doing Just Water Removal a Good Move?

Gregory Allen

Jul 4, 2013
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I don't really have interest in becoming a floor/fire restoration guy like ServPro. Have good carpet/tile/upoholstery/airduct work…. BUT… Is there much opportunity if I wanted to do JUST the water removal in homes that have had broken water pipes or other cause of indoor flooding? I can break out my CFX for that and just remove the water…. But I don't want to do carpet/pad/tile/wood/mold removal stuff. Am I being too narrow minded, or is there any real opportunity in just removing the water?

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
If you want to provide emergency water extraction only that is fine as long as the customers know that it needs to be dried out properly but that you do not offer it. I could not imagine going out and doing all the hard work doing the extraction and letting someone else come in and set up some equipment and they get paid more than me. If you are extracting I would suggest something stronger than a CFX

Reactions: Keith Kool Shannon

falcans

Feb 26, 2012
Canada
Real Name
Ricardo bials
Business Location
Canada
a cfx wtf lol that's what flood pumpers are used for extraction cough up money and spend if not someone else will spend it for you :D

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Sucking water will be a total waste of time. A home owner can pay you to remove water than sue you when theirs mold growth. Take a IICRC class for water damage then decide if it is something you would like to get into. Even if you decide not to, the class will still be beneficial to you. There is no money in sucking water. The money is made when you leave the proper number of fans and dehumidifiers in a structure to properly dry it. $20,000 for a used box truck and used truckmount. $10,000 for drying equipment. Or $15,000 for a used van and truckmount,$8000 for drying equipment and $2,000 for an enclosed trailer. If you can pull it off I would recommend doing so. Good luck with everything.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I agree some are going to want treatments, repairs and most of all drying.. If your going to remove the water then have someone come in after your done ..

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Here's what I recommend,doing small "dry downs" only. These usually consist of only 1-4 rooms affected. You can opt with cat 1 & 2 clean up only. Refer the sewage ones and get a referral fee from a larger water damage company. Stick with hot water heaters,a/c's and broken pipes best. These losses will keep you in the 1000-20,000 range. Not a bad place to be. And it's easy. ;)

Here is a short list;

1) Extract
2) Tear out floors that won't dry (vinyl)
3) Remove baseboards,drill 1" holes every 6"
4) Rent or buy 12 air movers (approx 3 to each room)
5) Rent or buy 4 dehus (approx 1 per room)
6) Rent or buy moisture meter
7) Spray inject anti-micobial in holes and spray on affected all areas
8) Check on it each day,usually 3 days to dry down
9) Make sure you collect deductible
10) Put all profits towards buying more air movers & dehus

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Rob is right on the spot let me tell you though what Rob recommends requires minimum level of knowledge but it requires it any way.
If your intention is to go to the job site and only suck the water collect payment and leave. Here is what I do and I do it safely no risk of a law suit.
I must say that I always prefer to do what Rob recommended cos I don't want to leave easy to make money on the table. being that said,

I respond to the emergency call
I pick up my equipment (dehums, blowers etc) and i head on to the job.
Upon arrival I inspect everything thoroughly and i determine If that is something I can handle.
If i can I do Rob's recommendations more or less
If I can't (this is the important part) I go to the HO and I clearly explain to him/her that the loss is way beyond my capabilities
I let them know that I have sister company that could get there in XXX time and take over for me. In the mean time i could start extracting the water
to prevent more damage in adjacent rooms etc. I tell them my price and I ask for permission to commence.
I let them know that my service is paid by them on the spot and the sister company will probably require a deductible and their charges will be a totally different cow.
I let them know that insurances always honor my services and in the event the do get coverage, They always reimburse for my charges which is true.
If yes i call the "sister" before their eyes introduce the situation and i pass the phone over to the client.

I do what I have to do and wait for the "sister" to arrive. I introduce them and collect check and leave. Sister takes care of me later also they don't give me much but a couple of hundred or a little more does not hurt at all.

If the HO says no I collect $150 (which was discused over the phone ) and leave them with a list of local companies they could call. Ussually large corporations.
rarely happens though.

Once you are there they want the property taken care of ASAP they called you they trusted you and you are being honest and upfront there is no reason why they would not trust your "sister"

all ethical professional and no risk to get sued or get a complaint.
Of course as you know your proceedings and recommendations are totally written and signed. And you did not leave until the "sister" arrived so you let the HO In good expert hands what happens after that is not your problem any more.

To give you an Idea, about a couple of years ago i got a call for a very large WD I got there it was about 30K Ft building to dry. there was no way I could do that with 6 blowers and two dehums lol. I called @tom patnode from Sand Diego to see If he could drive over and help but he was busy. I extracted the water only and I recommended the "sister" about a month later I got a check for 1K from the "sister" not bad for just giving their name and number out.

Good luck you can make it work just find a good "sister" to lean on.

Gregory Allen

Jul 4, 2013
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I appreciate the candid feedback and constructive suggestions. This is a forum in which we share best practices and build this industry into an even better one with a rising tide (your constructive feedback) that lifts all ships (everyone else). So to the positive, constructive and helpful responders, thank you.

Reactions: Responder

Gregory Allen

Jul 4, 2013
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
ROB ALLEN: This list is what More Floods is recommending, as a fairly complete package. Looks like they are recommending more equipment than you did. I like your ideas, not just for the apparent cost savings, but also because I trust your judgment and advice. Please let me know if this appears overkill. They recommend having enough to handle two jobs at one time.

Equipment # List List Total
Carpet Probe F251 Dri-Eaz Hydro Sensor 1 $215 $215
Tramex Professional Moisture Meter (Digital) 1 $419 $419
Air movers: Dri-Eaz F351 16 $365 $5,840
Dri-Eaz 7000 dehumidifiers F412 2 $2,260 $4,520
Dri-Eaz Evolution dehumidifiers 2 $1,849 $3,698
Dri-Eaz DefendAir F284 1 $999 $999
Dri-Eaz DriForce F211 2 $2,110 $4,220
Injectidry (just the machine…no manifolds or hoses) 1 $1,995 $1,995
DriForce InterAir Drying System Accessory Kit 1 $900 $900
Total $22,806

Reactions: admin and wesley299

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Here's what I recommend,doing small "dry downs" only. These usually consist of only 1-4 rooms affected. You can opt with cat 1 & 2 clean up only. Refer the sewage ones and get a referral fee from a larger water damage company. Stick with hot water heaters,a/c's and broken pipes best. These losses will keep you in the 1000-20,000 range. Not a bad place to be. And it's easy. ;)

Here is a short list;

1) Extract
2) Tear out floors that won't dry (vinyl)
3) Remove baseboards,drill 1" holes every 6"
4) Rent or buy 12 air movers (approx 3 to each room)
5) Rent or buy 4 dehus (approx 1 per room)
6) Rent or buy moisture meter
7) Spray inject anti-micobial in holes and spray on affected all areas
8) Check on it each day,usually 3 days to dry down
9) Make sure you collect deductible
10) Put all profits towards buying more air movers & dehus
Man I wish I could come down and train with you!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
ROB ALLEN: This list is what More Floods is recommending, as a fairly complete package. Looks like they are recommending more equipment than you did. I like your ideas, not just for the apparent cost savings, but also because I trust your judgment and advice. Please let me know if this appears overkill. They recommend having enough to handle two jobs at one time.

Total $22,806
That's actually a great list Gregory. They are covering hard wood floors with some f that equipment. If you have the resources you can't go wrong with it.

Gregory Allen

Jul 4, 2013
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Question regarding equipment comparisons: For air movers, More Floods recommends the Dri-Eaz F351, which retail for $365. Because I would need several to be adequately equipped to handle a couple simultaneous jobs, any harm in going with the less-expensive Omnidry 2.9 amp model, which retails for $179 (qty 10 for this price at Interlink)? It will save me $3,000 when I am looking at 16 pieces. For the other items on their list, I will go with the brands and units they recommend, but this is quite a bit of money to leave on the table if I will be well-served with the Ominidry. What are your suggestions? Also, any other brands of the general equipment, i.e., dehu's, that are recommendable?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Yes. Insurance jobs are the best. High pay with hourly rate. Water extraction is no liability.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: fusioncrs

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
Question regarding equipment comparisons: For air movers, More Floods recommends the Dri-Eaz F351, which retail for $365. Because I would need several to be adequately equipped to handle a couple simultaneous jobs, any harm in going with the less-expensive Omnidry 2.9 amp model, which retails for $179 (qty 10 for this price at Interlink)? It will save me $3,000 when I am looking at 16 pieces. For the other items on their list, I will go with the brands and units they recommend, but this is quite a bit of money to leave on the table if I will be well-served with the Ominidry. What are your suggestions? Also, any other brands of the general equipment, i.e., dehu's, that are recommendable?
I am not 100% on this and it is more my opinion but I think it would be about the same. More Floods may want you to use a certain make and model as part of their marketing program.

Reactions: Iancleans

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States

Total $22,806
Way too much equipment for small losses that you are potentially going to go after. Nothing against More Floods but this list is way to comprehensive for what you are looking for.

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
I have 80 of the OmniDry 2.9 and 3.1's and they work brilliantly for me. I have four axial's that I use every now and then. Not very often though.

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
A good restoration company for referrals on insured losses and you handle uninsured(rain water) type losses @ $125/hr. w/$250 min. Rent the customer your eqpt. if they will pay for mechanical drying. If they don't want drying and they just want the gross amount of water out. Have them sign a disclaimer which will list your further recommendations for complete remediation. Always prequalify on phone.

linemech31

Apr 23, 2009
NH
DearbornCleaning.net
Real Name
Andrew Dearborn
Business Location
United States
This is a very good thread, I have done a number of dry downs for property management companies however never had to bill an insurance company. How does that play out and what kind of documentation do they require?

Sent from my LGL86C using TMF Forums mobile app