Is carpet repair worth it financially? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is carpet repair worth it financially?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Bleeding on the job is an instant extra $50+ depending on the severity. It's like a referral job... You can always tack on 10% to those from the top.
Add another 1k to this hell hole. The entire place is 3" of gypcrete. Nothing holds. Stupid asbestos tiles all lifted with the pad. So i have to hide them in the trash so dump dont see it. Damn pia this one has been. No stretcher though. Bump and run on this job.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Add another 1k to this hell hole. The entire place is 3" of gypcrete. Nothing holds. Stupid asbestos tiles all lifted with the pad. So i have to hide them in the trash so dump dont see it. Damn pia this one has been. No stretcher though. Bump and run on this job.
Man I’ve ran into concrete so bad that nothing worked. I told the owner your floors jacked I can’t even install this. He said whatever just lay it down cut into place lol.

He had a tile guy working I go to talk to him and he’s lifting tiles out and the look like icebergs from the thinset and concrete patches underneath!

Reactions: keep it clean

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Gotta take the good with the bad!

I've got a property I've been working on for years and the gypcrete was poured on a Wednesday... I use those short deck type palm nailer nails for the clamp down bars to get them in, it laughs at 16d nails.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Gotta take the good with the bad!

I've got a property I've been working on for years and the gypcrete was poured on a Wednesday... I use those short deck type palm nailer nails for the clamp down bars to get them in, it laughs at 16d nails.
I try to avoid running deep. It was soft powder for about 1.5" then turned dark grey and plastic like. Most places 2" deck screws grabbed. But never know where they hide them pipes. I hit one pipe before 8 times in a row wam wam wam lol. Water started coming out from under strip and it was steaming. Freakin heater pipe was skimmed over with patch then glue. So i couldnt see it. So im paranoid now about hitting pipes.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Man I’ve ran into concrete so bad that nothing worked. I told the owner your floors jacked I can’t even install this. He said whatever just lay it down cut into place lol.

He had a tile guy working I go to talk to him and he’s lifting tiles out and the look like icebergs from the thinset and concrete patches underneath!
Ive been useing lately 1" concrete nails halex. They're about the thickness of the ramset pins. Then i use rotohammer w/ 5/32 bit. Chews through faster then hammer drills. Then i have a coil of rebar wire. I cut little pieces off and put 2 in each hole. Then smack a nail in. It locks it up tight. Sometimes i use common nails whatever contractors left laying around. But the wire acts like an anchor.

Ive tried jet-tac but tha crap broke my caulk gun. Hard as hell to work with.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Ive been useing lately 1" concrete nails halex. They're about the thickness of the ramset pins. Then i use rotohammer w/ 5/32 bit. Chews through faster then hammer drills. Then i have a coil of rebar wire. I cut little pieces off and put 2 in each hole. Then smack a nail in. It locks it up tight. Sometimes i use common nails whatever contractors left laying around. But the wire acts like an anchor.

Ive tried jet-tac but tha crap broke my caulk gun. Hard as hell to work with.
this stuff was soo crumbly that nothing worked even adhesives

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I try to avoid running deep. It was soft powder for about 1.5" then turned dark grey and plastic like. Most places 2" deck screws grabbed. But never know where they hide them pipes. I hit one pipe before 8 times in a row wam wam wam lol. Water started coming out from under strip and it was steaming. Freakin heater pipe was skimmed over with patch then glue. So i couldnt see it. So im paranoid now about hitting pipes.
For us it's trying to get a metal strip in over 4 layers of vinyl and not look completely jacked up. Cutting the metal long, bending up wings concealed by the carpet and screwing them into the studs under the trim with 3" drywall screws helps lol Not exactly how we want to do it, but with 4 layers of vinyl it is what it is.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I seeen an r.o. Line too a fridge repair once. They had a ceiling leak so they took it through a grout line in the floor lol it was bad

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I seeen an r.o. Line too a fridge repair once. They had a ceiling leak so they took it through a grout line in the floor lol it was bad
Lol my uncle ran an ice maker line he didnt feel like waiting on the plumber so he figured he'd do it. He used that T punch kit and line. Found copper but didnt check it. Tapped in turned it on. No water. But it smelled like rotten eggs :D he tapped into the gas line.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
For us it's trying to get a metal strip in over 4 layers of vinyl and not look completely jacked up. Cutting the metal long, bending up wings concealed by the carpet and screwing them into the studs under the trim with 3" drywall screws helps lol Not exactly how we want to do it, but with 4 layers of vinyl it is what it is.
Inventive. Ive seen similar with tackstrips. Bang 16d nail under base into sill then use nail head to hold strip in place like a hook. No good for stretcher but to get past a spot that wont hold it works. Judt bump kicker across till you can get to good anchored strip.

Reactions: MikeGaure

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Looking back, I really wished I took time to learn carpet repairs.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Not too late. Colonel Sanders didn’t sell chicken commercially till late in life!

All it takes is about $23k investment and you can spend 3 days with me to learn, payment up front non refundable.

:LOL:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Do it. Three years ago I knew nothing about repairs at all. I learned most of what I know here on TMF.

Reactions: rob allen