Is carpet repair worth it financially? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is carpet repair worth it financially?

Aug 4, 2019
Real Name
Warren Clark
So a quick question for the seasoned pros here. We are looking to expand into more services other than cleaning carpets, rugs and upholstery.

Carpet repair is naturally something I thought about. Is it worth it though? Could some of you let me know what jobs you've done, how much it cost on your end to fix and the price you charged.

Thank you in advance if it's not to much trouble.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Very worth it

Your minimum is determined by you and your needs.

Demographics will determine your pricing structure.

Skill level is also crucial. Not only being able too identify the issue and the best way too remedy it.

I make more with floor repairs and installs tha cleaning

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
I can on average 50-100 bucks per job by patching and restretching on almost every job. But 99% of my business is empty houses. So it’s easy with no furniture to move

Aug 4, 2019
Real Name
Warren Clark
Very worth it

Your minimum is determined by you and your needs.

Demographics will determine your pricing structure.

Skill level is also crucial. Not only being able too identify the issue and the best way too remedy it.

I make more with floor repairs and installs tha cleaning
Thanks for the feedback. Could you give me an example of a new carpet install? Or a re-carpet of a house/apartment/condo that you did recently?

I have a felling this would be more along the lines what we would be after. I'd rather do bigger jobs vs small carpet repairs.

I can on average 50-100 bucks per job by patching and restretching on almost every job. But 99% of my business is empty houses. So it’s easy with no furniture to move
That makes sense. Quick and easy with nothing in the way for $50 to $100. I think to make it viable as I have staff it would need to be bigger jobs. Maybe this isn't the right more for us. Will have to find out more info first.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I don’t do new installs but repairs are definitely worth doing.

I charge $150 for an average sized room to re-stretch. If you are going to re-stretch then buy a power stretcher and learn how to use it. I bought mine used for $300 and made $450 on my first job. The cost to re-stretch is minimal, a few blades, maybe a little seam tape & a few hot glue sticks. On a 3 room re-stretch the cost is about $20. Add on some labor if you are paying a helper.

Patches are almost pure profit. The cost is about $1 and you easily make $30 - $100 per patch (sometimes even more).

Right along with doing repairs you can also offer pad replacements for severe urine jobs.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the feedback. Could you give me an example of a new carpet install? Or a re-carpet of a house/apartment/condo that you did recently?

I have a felling this would be more along the lines what we would be after. I'd rather do bigger jobs vs small carpet repairs.

That makes sense. Quick and easy with nothing in the way for $50 to $100. I think to make it viable as I have staff it would need to be bigger jobs. Maybe this isn't the right more for us. Will have to find out more info first.
Most times youll get more per hour fixing then replacing. You can though if you sell your own add to the profit of the sale. You have to hook up with a warehouse to get better pricing. So you make money in both fists labor and materials.

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

installs arent as profitable as repairs. im upwards of $10/yd while others are 3-6$/yd

its not something you're going too just walk into. youll need too find an experienced installer and pay him well. it would take you to long too install a house without experience

Reactions: keep it clean

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Most times youll get more per hour fixing then replacing. You can though if you sell your own add to the profit of the sale. You have to hook up with a warehouse to get better pricing. So you make money in both fists labor and materials.
Going too look at repair one tile tomorrow. Min $150 may go up to two depending.

Reactions: keep it clean

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
if you like your knees stay away from this installation stuff...

all installers I know after about 5-10 years their knees are blown to bits......

better to try tile and grout....cleaning.....
expand to commercial......motels.......schools.....theaters....resturants....hospitals.........rentaals.....even apartments?????

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
First job I walked into today. I offered to repair the carpet while we were there. I spent 20 minutes doing the repair while my daughter was cleaning the other side of the house. $40 extra for 20 minutes work.

F3CCEB9A-9B89-41D1-BEEE-A259F5047A32.jpeg
2497C79E-C808-4D03-8B9E-EFCAD8884933.jpeg

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
if you like your knees stay away from this installation stuff...

all installers I know after about 5-10 years their knees are blown to bits......

better to try tile and grout....cleaning.....
expand to commercial......motels.......schools.....theaters....resturants....hospitals.........rentaals.....even apartments?????
Lol those be the "i kick hard enough guys" The stretcher removes alot of the occupational hazard. Always one hard kick away from a debilitating mistake. My dad didnt lose his knee. His muscle tore from the bone at 65. Just from walking down some steps. He's been installing since 80's and still would be now if he could. Ive been installing since 90's. My legs are beat up. But not the knees. My wear and tear came from crawling through vans, no kneepads and stair climbing with twice my body weight on my shoulder.

Work within your limits. Dont work for carpet houses at 3 bucks a yrd doing 2 homes a day. Or yeah you'll be punching out very early in life.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I did a lot of carpet repair in the 80's in apartments....
Picked up a little stretching and a few patches the last 10 years...actually really like it.....

they have some new seam tape that is activated by some kinda microwave heat wo a seam iron....looks pretty cool....

YOu can charge whatever you want in a house.....
I would double the price on these patches or walk....

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This late in the game. Ide focus on learning how to bid flooring jobs. Get an account at a flooring warehouse and a pricing sheet to work from. And sell the flooring. You can find subs to do the work. Taking you out of the labor part of it. So you can still do your work cleaning or whatever. while someone else is out there breaking their ass for you. You profit from the sale and a slice off the labor depending on what the subs agree to.

Aug 4, 2019
Real Name
Warren Clark
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think the tile and grout could be a better move like someone mentioned. I know a few friends in the industry who do carpets cleaning, rug cleaning, tile and grout, pest control, all of it.

And I recall a conversation where he said about a third of his business is tile and grout. Could be a winner.

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
You have to make the price be worth it. We charge the same for repairs and stretching that we do for cleaning, time frame wise. So if we can clean two rooms and make $110 bucks in an hour, then we are stretching an hour for $110.00. Repairs are the same, plus material. Make it worth your while, or you are wasting your time and profit

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
@MikeGaure ever feel like taking the previous intaller by the neck and rubbing his face back and forth on the 300+ unnecessary staples and tack strip on the steps
20190814_161223.jpg
?

• Haha

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
@MikeGaure ever feel like taking the previous intaller by the neck and rubbing his face back and forth on the 300+ unnecessary staples and tack strip on the stepsView attachment 86761?
@MikeGaure ever feel like taking the previous intaller by the neck and rubbing his face back and forth on the 300+ unnecessary staples and tack strip on the stepsView attachment 86761?
I’ve been that guy and the guy that’s been stabbed lol

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
yea welcome to the world of carpet repair......
Repair. I dont bleed on repairs those are cake work. This be some old style condo fudgeery rip out and replace. Someone before me must of got a brand new stapler. Love to staple that bastards hand to the step. 12- 18 staples all thats needed. Not 12 x 6 sleeves of staples.

• Haha