Is anyone in here doing traditional window cleaning?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
So im not cleaning with a WFP this year only because its my first year. What I am curious about is who here cleans traditional? And if you do, do you ever use a pole and no ladder for your 2nd story windows?

Feb 22, 2010
Vermont
Real Name
wesley carpenter
Business Location
United States
I clean with water fed pole and traditional and sometimes I use traditional with pole because they need to be scrapped or other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF For Carpenterscleaning.com

Feb 22, 2010
Vermont
Real Name
wesley carpenter
Business Location
United States
2nd floor is no problem with pole but sometimes it's just faster to get on ladder to clean them

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I've done almost all kinds of window cleaning for over 10years and I'm burned out. If you get in the business, make sure you charge what you're worth... Alot

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
I've done almost all kinds of window cleaning for over 10years and I'm burned out. If you get in the business, make sure you charge what you're worth... Alot
I have a few friends who transfered out of carpet and into windows because they liked it so much more. Why didnt you care for it? Was it the dangerous factor?

mahlonzehr

Oct 30, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
www.beautifulcarpetsandfloors.com
Real Name
Mahlon Zehr
Business Location
United States
I clean with water fed pole and traditional and sometimes I use traditional with pole because they need to be scrapped or other issues.

Hey Wesley what would it cost for a basic entry level WFP set up?

I've been toying with the idea for a couple months now. Is it quite a bit faster?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I have a few friends who transfered out of carpet and into windows because they liked it so much more. Why didnt you care for it? Was it the dangerous factor?
I love carpet cleaning more because the tm does most of the work for me. With windows, you're doing all the work and it takes a toll on you

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
I love carpet cleaning more because the tm does most of the work for me. With windows, you're doing all the work and it takes a toll on you
Hmm, interesting! I've always heard it the other way around. Im wondering if a water fed pole would be much easier on you?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Hmm, interesting! I've always heard it the other way around. Im wondering if a water fed pole would be much easier on you?
I did a tucker pole and it kicked my butt the longer I extended it. Keep in mind I'm not a little guy, I'm 6ft 5" and I'm in shape. You'll enjoy it alot more if you're not alone. I'm always alone when I clean windows. That might be why I hate it

aaminc

Oct 29, 2009
Pa
Real Name
Chris Falvo
Business Location
United States
I started out as a window cleaning company but now we only do commercial. Window cleaning by ladders gets a lot harder the older you get and the risk dosnt seem worth it after you have seen guys that fell off ladders. I still have acouple sets of ladders but mostly the never leave the shed.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Traditional will always be the way to go. even if you have a pole, you will run into situations where you need to climb the ladder. Poles are great tools and those simplify the process of "maintenance" when you have already properly clean the windows or you are taking over from another company. But for the first time in a house that has not had the widows cleaned in several years, traditional will be the faster way to go.
In short, Poles do not substitute traditional window cleaning.

Feb 22, 2010
Vermont
Real Name
wesley carpenter
Business Location
United States
Sorry for delay the entry level is a little over a thousand dollars but might not work that well if you have hard water better setup are around 3,000 dollars. I love my Wfp but only works for windows
That are cleaned on a regular basis hope that helps

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
We do 350 businesses every month in window cleaning and use poles for 2nd floor but just got a wfp setup. I have employees do 95% of the window cleaning. I like doing carpets!!
Wow 350 businesses every other month? Is most of it store front routes? Are you making good money off that? Or is the pricing cut throat?

Sep 16, 2012
Iowa
www.procleanmidwest.com
Real Name
Keith messenger
Actually most of the 350 we do twice a month and about 70% is store front. Its good money! In the process of setting up a wfp setup where my guys work out of a big tank of pure water with 2 hose reels. If it works like I think it could take 40% less time to do the route on a daily basis. This would be huge for the profit margin :)

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
Traditional will always be the way to go. even if you have a pole, you will run into situations where you need to climb the ladder. Poles are great tools and those simplify the process of "maintenance" when you have already properly clean the windows or you are taking over from another company. But for the first time in a house that has not had the widows cleaned in several years, traditional will be the faster way to go.
In short, Poles do not substitute traditional window cleaning.
Martin,
Do you clean with a WFP system?
That was well put... with a few "asterisks"
When deciding whether to use a WFP, 1st a guy needs to decide if a "hogshair brush" can get it done,
or stay with a "mono filament, (maintenance brush)
I have successfully done some pretty nasty jobs with my particular setup.

(BTW, the pic in my avatar, was taken by Jenny, it is a warm water RO/DI that I produced)

Purified water is a "cleaner", It is NOT a degreaser.

Traditional window cleaning is an art. WFP is another tool in the box...

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
I did a tucker pole and it kicked my butt the longer I extended it. Keep in mind I'm not a little guy, I'm 6ft 5" and I'm in shape. You'll enjoy it alot more if you're not alone. I'm always alone when I clean windows. That might be why I hate it
Have you tried a carbon fiber? Tucker poles are "dated" and heavy in comparison.

I actually like window cleaning alone. Gives me time to think... (could be a bad thing) like coming up with a warm water RO/DI

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
Have you tried a carbon fiber? Tucker poles are "dated" and heavy in comparison.

I actually like window cleaning alone. Gives me time to think... (could be a bad thing) like coming up with a warm water RO/DI
Lance, I know you do floor cleaning as well as windows. Do you ever have people frown upon that because you may look like a "jack of all trades " kinda guy? Im doing the same thing you are. Just curious if people would prefer to hiring a window cleaning who does strictly windows

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
Actually the opposite... Only 1 Professional to call... I have done it this way over 20 years now... people tend to love
the idea of having the same company do it all... instead of worrying who else is coming thru the door....

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
Actually the opposite... Only 1 Professional to call... I have done it this way over 20 years now... people tend to love
the idea of having the same company do it all... instead of worrying who else is coming thru the door....
Right, that was always my way of looking at it. I've had a few people ( my friends ) say I may want to be careful having so many services because it looks like a handy man. I only do carpet, tile, upholstery, and windows. I'd like to do house washing and stuff like that, but we will see. Im not marketing that right now