Is anybody cleaning artificial grass? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is anybody cleaning artificial grass?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Out here in the drought stricken west a lot of people have pulled out their lawns and put in artificial grass. Sounds good in theory as you never have to mow it or water it or worry about weeds or dead spots

BUT
When it comes to dogs peeing on the grass in the back yard after some time it really begins to stink. Get a little rain or humidity and oh my!!:eek::wtf::poop::vomit::vomit::vomit:

The stench is horrible. I've pressure washed a few and used some Odorcide on them but nothing really fixes the stink:dead:.

This has me thinking there has to be a way to fix this along with the opportunity to add another service to the business. I'm thinking there has to be a chemical we can put in the hydroforce and apply it to the lawn to fix this. It would need to be something that does not require extraction but preferably could be rinsed through the lawn with a garden hose or pressure washer. Maybe use An acid rinse? I've had good success eliminating urine odors from carpet using a strong mix of FabSet through the hydroforce, maybe that would work on the grass too??? I'm not sure about OSR / PetZone or other urine chemicals. Maybe something outside the industry such as Rid-X septic treatment?

@SAA @Scott W @Tom Forsythe do you guys have any ideas or input on this?

Last edited:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
According to the Zeofill website, if you wait until there is a huge odor problem, then it will take multiple treatments. Cha Ching$$$$$$$
I'm doing some math with ordering the 5 gallon bucket, it would work out to be relatively cheap, I figure about $10 in chemical per 600 sq ft with severe odor. Should be a relatively quick application too. I would use the hydroforce to apply it so it looks a little more professional than using a garden hose.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I'm doing some math with ordering the 5 gallon bucket, it would work out to be relatively cheap, I figure about $10 in chemical per 600 sq ft with severe odor. Should be a relatively quick application too. I would use the hydroforce to apply it so it looks a little more professional than using a garden hose.
Here's what it says on the website:
Please Note: If you feed your dogs an expensive dog food loaded with protein ingredients, PE-51 may not be strong enough to remove all the bad bacteria on the first few sprays. It is best use the PE-51 on a regular basis and not wait until it your turf smells of urine.

Sounds like it isn't really strong enough to do what you want on a professional level. What about OSR in a hydroforce and soaking it in that?

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Here's what it says on the website:
Please Note: If you feed your dogs an expensive dog food loaded with protein ingredients, PE-51 may not be strong enough to remove all the bad bacteria on the first few sprays. It is best use the PE-51 on a regular basis and not wait until it your turf smells of urine.

Sounds like it isn't really strong enough to do what you want on a professional level. What about OSR in a hydroforce and soaking it in that?
I'd like to know more about other chemicals too. The chemicals need to be safe for the animals. I'm not sure about OSR.

I'm thinking maybe have a first time fee that is significant and big enough to cover going once a week for 3 weeks then getting on a monthly maintenance schedule after that.

Just thoughts for now. I'll have to do some testing before I offer it as part of the business.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Todd, I would try the product referenced in the link above. The humidity levels in Las Vegas limit the time frame the bacteria will work. It would be best to spray down with with water alone and follow up with the bacterial product. This will prolong the activity a little longer.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
What do you all think about just spraying down H202. 40 volume peroxide or even stronger.
environmental impacts, You have to remember you are NOT extracting it back out, so everything you spray down is going to seep into the water underground.
Seems like the fines would be terrible. Specially in Cali.
I would make sure what ever I used had lots of labels on the bottle saying it is legal to use the product in the way being described.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
environmental impacts, You have to remember you are NOT extracting it back out, so everything you spray down is going to seep into the water underground.
Seems like the fines would be terrible. Specially in Cali.
I would make sure what ever I used had lots of labels on the bottle saying it is legal to use the product in the way being described.

I keep hearing that H202 turns into water and oxygen after it does it's thing. So there should be no environmental impact if this is true.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I keep hearing that H202 turns into water and oxygen after it does it's thing. So there should be no environmental impact if this is true.
I think so.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Environmental regulations vary from state to state, from city to city and even from township to township. I would be inclined to contact the local authority to see if they have any restrictions. You would also need to check if hydrogen peroxide altered the coloration of the astro turf.

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
Out here in the drought stricken west a lot of people have pulled out their lawns and put in artificial grass. Sounds good in theory as you never have to mow it or water it or worry about weeds or dead spots

BUT
When it comes to dogs peeing on the grass in the back yard after some time it really begins to stink. Get a little rain or humidity and oh my!!:eek::wtf::poop::vomit::vomit::vomit:

The stench is horrible. I've pressure washed a few and used some Odorcide on them but nothing really fixes the stink:dead:.

This has me thinking there has to be a way to fix this along with the opportunity to add another service to the business. I'm thinking there has to be a chemical we can put in the hydroforce and apply it to the lawn to fix this. It would need to be something that does not require extraction but preferably could be rinsed through the lawn with a garden hose or pressure washer. Maybe use An acid rinse? I've had good success eliminating urine odors from carpet using a strong mix of FabSet through the hydroforce, maybe that would work on the grass too??? I'm not sure about OSR / PetZone or other urine chemicals. Maybe something outside the industry such as Rid-X septic treatment?

@SAA @Scott W @Tom Forsythe do you guys have any ideas or input on this?
Haha what genius installs fake grass if they have a pet??

That's just disgusting.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Haha what genius installs fake grass if they have a pet??

That's just disgusting.
You would be surprised. They outlawed live grass in Las Vegas so tens of thousands of people have switched to the fake grass. It looks just like real grass. I guarantee people were not expecting these problems.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Artificial grass is popular here as well as it is impossible to grow grass and the only option for real grass is installing sod and then you have to water it often or it dies quickly. We had sod installed and our sprinkler are on a timer twice a day for 4 days a week, it accounts for about 1/2 our water bill.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Todd do you still need help with this? I forgot one of the places we clean is an animal hospital that has an outdoor section for the little beasts to play in and it has artificial turf. Not sure how they maintain it but I can ask.

Also, just curious, I don't know the answer but I wonder what a steamer would do on that surface? They can disinfect I know, but not sure if it would melt the turf.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
You might check with someone who works in the environmental sciences, but my thinking is this:

The Astroturf is hopefully in direct contact with the ground - nature's bacterial factory.

If you wet the turf thoroughly the first time, and keep it wet for at least an hour or so while using a pet-odor product that has not only enzymes but also living bacterial cultures (specifically Pseudomonas species that produce amylase, protease, and lipase), that should allow the good bacteria to colonize on the ground-contact surface and act as a living blanket of odor control.

After initial treatment, you ought to be able to offer a maintenance program that simply refreshes the cultures periodically. Kind of like what happens in a septic system but across a larger surface area.

Pseudomonas are very hardy, adaptable bacteria that are omnipresent - meaning they're everywhere whether you want 'em or not. They're like the goldfish of the bacterial world, all shapes and sizes and pretty tough to kill if they have what they need. The ground beneath the turf is already loaded with many Pseudomonas species, so all you're doing is introducing a new kid to the neighborhood that eats nothing but pet waste.

Even if somehow the ground beneath the turf does dry out completely once they've colonized, more often than not they simply go dormant and wait for the next flush of moisture and food to begin reproducing again.