Is a physical location worth it? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is a physical location worth it?

AmandaJones8888

May 20, 2014
Melbourne
Real Name
Amanda Jones
The ultimate truth is, that it depends on the business. There are some kinds of services, which just don't require a physical location, so you won't need one. But it's also a fact, that lately many people prefer to trust suppliers, which have a physical address. For instance, I run this gardening business in my suburb, called Gardeners Richmond, and not long ago I had to rent an office, because I couldn't gain enough clients with only the website. This is because with today's advance of technologies, the ways people can scam other people have also advanced. And today most clients think, that if a business is only online, they are probably some kind of scam and will steal their money. It's not completely true, but it could still happen.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
For rug cleaning it is imperative if one considers building a solid high end rug cleaning clientele.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
As i am finding out with google, its imperative you have at least a street address. They(google) just told me I am in violation of their guidelines on multiple occasions and my site will not be reinstated. I live in the country and have a box in the post office and just a legal description for an address. I need to use the local gas station in Town for parcel delivery or the Greyhound.
So yes, a physical Street address is beneficial if you want to make use of Google places.
Excerpt from the email I got back:
Hello Stephen,

I have checked with our team of engineers and advocated on your behalf with regards to your listing not showing live on maps.

Unfortunately, after further review of your Google Places account, it has been determined that it has violated our Google Places Quality Guidelines. Because of the multiple violations, your local listing cannot be reinstated.

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
As i am finding out with google, its imperative you have at least a street address. They(google) just told me I am in violation of their guidelines on multiple occasions and my site will not be reinstated. I live in the country and have a box in the post office and just a legal description for an address. I need to use the local gas station in Town for parcel delivery or the Greyhound.
So yes, a physical Street address is beneficial if you want to make use of Google places.
Excerpt from the email I got back:
Hello Stephen,

I have checked with our team of engineers and advocated on your behalf with regards to your listing not showing live on maps.

Unfortunately, after further review of your Google Places account, it has been determined that it has violated our Google Places Quality Guidelines. Because of the multiple violations, your local listing cannot be reinstated.

Maybe there is some benefit to a physical location regarding Google but that has nothing to do with your issue. You got the slap down for violating their terms of service.

I have no physical address, and I checked the box to hide the address and I'm ranked at the top in my area ahead of a number of bigger businesses that do have physical locations.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Maybe there is some benefit to a physical location regarding Google but that has nothing to do with your issue. You got the slap down for violating their terms of service.

I have no physical address, and I checked the box to hide the address and I'm ranked at the top in my area ahead of a number of bigger businesses that do have physical locations.

And yet, when I spoke to the googlers, they could see no reason other than a PO Box but the issue. That, and owning 3 business names operating from the same PO Box. So I am none the wiser.

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
And yet, when I spoke to the googlers, they could see no reason other than a PO Box but the issue. That, and owning 3 business names operating from the same PO Box. So I am none the wiser.

Do you have the box checked to hide your address?

Although, it's seems plausible that multiple businesses with the same address could pose a problem, it just doesn't seem likely to me. There are many instances of multiple businesses operating from one roof.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Yes and I agree with you. I just checked their Policy Guidelines on this and found this:

Do not create a listing or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist. P.O. Boxes are not considered accurate physical locations.Your business location should be staffed during its stated hours.

I know it goes on to say about unchecking the box about serving customers at their location but I think this is what they are considering the violation. They did tell me they are in the process of removing ALL PO Box addresses and they accept that for many owners, thats all there is but they are doing it anyway.
Sorry, this has become a bit of a derail.

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
Yes and I agree with you. I just checked their Policy Guidelines on this and found this:

Do not create a listing or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist. P.O. Boxes are not considered accurate physical locations.Your business location should be staffed during its stated hours.

I know it goes on to say about unchecking the box about serving customers at their location but I think this is what they are considering the violation. They did tell me they are in the process of removing ALL PO Box addresses and they accept that for many owners, thats all there is but they are doing it anyway.

Yep, that's it then. I got removed by them a while back because I didn't have the box checked. They called and asked if customers came to my address and I told them yes, they dropped off rugs to me but it didn't matter, an hour later my listing was no where to be found.

I was really lucky that it happened right after new year which is a slow time for me anyway and I was even luckier that once I fixed the listing it showed back up in its original spot in about 2 weeks. Other guys lost their listing for months or some even had to just start over with a new listing.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I am trying to add the listing back in and it will not let me. They have (it appears) blocked my names perhaps?

mendo83

May 21, 2012
El Monte, California
Real Name
Oscar Mendo
Business Location
United States
For that amount why not. You can loss but not really. It's exposure for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
I worked out of my garage for the first year. Then got a small office with a couple desks and tons of storage for chemicals and extra stuff. The reason I like having an office is it gives gives me a place to go to actually work. To often times at home if I didn't have jobs I would go door knocking for 2 hours and be done. Now if I am not cleaning I am at my office from 7 am to 530 PM making sales calls, setting up demos, and not having kids distracting me from work.

Sent from my SM-N900P using TMF Forums mobile app

TigerWash

Jun 3, 2014
www.tigerwashbr.com
Real Name
David A
I think you're probably better off taking that $300 and spending it on advertising and marketing. You'll get more leads and you can't really expect many walk-ins in this business with a storefront.

Reactions: Troyster

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

I have the same problem, usps does not deliver mail to physical addresses here, PO boxes only. It has been a big pita

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

drift56

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Robert
$300 for rent... plus utils? $450-500. I dont think its worth it if its a strip mall location, no one will ever notice you (unless you start selling vacuums or rugs or flooring).

Now if its a light commercial With signage on a highway coming into town I would jump on it. Id use a roll up door to maintain my vans, have a rug room and sell only high end special order flooring from samples in the front.... but that only works if you already employ an office person.

But there are few ways to dominate a market in the minds of a consumer than a Big presence coming into town. (top of mind awareness)

Im looking for a light commercial for just this reason in my area but I will need 1500sf with a roll up door. I expect to pay @ $800 + utils = $1100. I wont drop that until I get the right location.

I also do custom Tile mosaics and Area rug binding. So id make sure my sign was a min 4x8 mosaic and Id make a Large area rug with my logo for the front window. But I have family who would run the store while I am out on jobs.

and yes my prices on cleaning would jump $10 room

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
$300 for rent... plus utils? $450-500. I dont think its worth it if its a strip mall location, no one will ever notice you (unless you start selling vacuums or rugs or flooring).

Now if its a light commercial With signage on a highway coming into town I would jump on it. Id use a roll up door to maintain my vans, have a rug room and sell only high end special order flooring from samples in the front.... but that only works if you already employ an office person.

But there are few ways to dominate a market in the minds of a consumer than a Big presence coming into town. (top of mind awareness)

Im looking for a light commercial for just this reason in my area but I will need 1500sf with a roll up door. I expect to pay @ $800 + utils = $1100. I wont drop that until I get the right location.

I also do custom Tile mosaics and Area rug binding. So id make sure my sign was a min 4x8 mosaic and Id make a Large area rug with my logo for the front window. But I have family who would run the store while I am out on jobs.

and yes my prices on cleaning would jump $10 room
I thought several times about getting a small strip mall location and selling chemical for home use, soaps and floor cleaner, deodorisers, enzyme and urine products and stuff.

Luke C.

Jun 27, 2014
Real Name
Lucas Cellino
Like I have mentioned in various post I am just entering the water restoration industry but I own a large plumbing company. I not only have a state of the art shop but I actually rent small storefronts in good areas. This does 2 things, makes me more relevant on search engines and also I have noticed customers call who is close, especially when it comes to water restoration or plumbing and this makes me seem like the neighborhood company.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Gregory10

May 16, 2015
Rahway NJ
www.10bucksaroom.com
Real Name
Gregory Yunginger
Business Location
United States
As probably the majority of you know, you can run a cleaning business out of your home. Im curious how many have a store front? The reason I ask is because I coach high school golf, and the guy who coaches with me owns a glass shop in my town. ( Small town )... Half of the building their in is available for lease. Its been empty for years and I could get a nice sign out front which is on a road that gets good traffic, and an office that I could work out of and bring clients into if need be.$300 bucks a month.

Im curious, do you guys think it would be worth it? I like the idea for a few reasons.
1. It'd be easier to get office work done ( Cold calling, financials, billing, ect ).
2. It would be a step up from every cleaner in my area. No one has a physical location, every cleaner here works from home. It would give me that much more of a professional look.

I wanted to hear your thoughts since I'm so new
300 Bucks a Month for a store front with high foot traffic on a main drag ??? WOW ! Unheard of ! Must be a REAL Small town in the middle of nowhere...Personally.in this biz,I see no need for it unless your looking to franchise out,then u need an office/store front...To boost your biz,hmmm...good for advertising I suppose..though I cant see anyone walking in looking to get their carpets cleaned..Unless you were selling vacuums or cleaning products or something...I wouldnt bother..Put your $$ into a kick ass van wrap/web site/flyers etc..You gotta figure thats 3600 bucks a year in rent..a Van Wrap may cost u 2 G's give or take..Mobile Advertising ! Oh,and a fairly new Van helps too,dont drive around in rusty old clunker..Need to look Professional !

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
2000 sqft is 3000.00 here at least.