Is a physical location worth it? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is a physical location worth it?

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Yes
Asking all these owner operators their opinions is useless. Anyone who tells you a store front on a busy street isn't worth $300 dollars probably thinks a full wrap is worthless too. For $300, I would jump on that in a heartbeat
3oo is cheap if you could swing it. It could be your rug spa location. While your at it sell pad and get a binding/fringing/serging operation going. Wall to wall is trending down so theirs alotta cash in refinshing and replacing old pad for area rugs. It also makes your cleaning look phenominal with new edging. If your interested in expanding into this 300 is cheap. 3oo is our electric bill in our shop.

A1CS

Feb 24, 2012
South Dakota
www.A-1CarpetService.com
Real Name
Harold Pastian
Business Location
United States
If you have an "office" you better have someone staffing it during regular business hours. So there will be additional expense in an office person, unless you want to be tied to a desk yourself.
I can't believe it took 13 posts to get to this. $300 is not even close to what this will actually "cost"

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Things must be different in your area. Here Stanley Steamer, servpro, service master ALL have store fronts plus a 3 or 4 local guys. I can think of at least 4 pest control companies here that have store fronts and i can think of 3-4 of each plumbers and electricians that have them.

Now I'm not saying that its worth it or not because we don't have enough info. It will depend not only on the location but also the op ability to maximize it with attractive signage and a good image.

I think you have to be careful when people say things like no one ever came in to order carpet cleaning and things like this. A location could easily increase your business without any customer ever saying i called because of your storefront. There is value in people seeing your company name/logo day after day for months/years.

I will say this, billboards are typically more than $300 per month so if you are able to put a decent sign you could almost look at it as paying for a billboard and getting an office for free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yes I agree, our company carpeted SS offices. They have a huge shop with big bay doors for their trucks and rug cleaning. They have a nice setup there and the manager was cool and we had a good conversation about their buisness.

A1CS

Feb 24, 2012
South Dakota
www.A-1CarpetService.com
Real Name
Harold Pastian
Business Location
United States
My point is, I don't ask a panhandler how to make millions in real estate. Don't take the answers from O/Os, because they don't have the answer for this situation. I don't value responses from O/Os telling the OP to NOT jump on a location for 300.00. That's just stupid. It probably is arrogant, but is rather be arrogant than naive in telling him its not worth it.

I've ran companies with prime real estate. It adds credibility, reachability and another avenue to sign it up and advertise. For 300.00, it's totally worth it if there is any amount of traffic
Comparing carpet cleaning to ANY other business is ridiculous, comparing it to another services business is barely less ridiculous.

I have done the office and the home office. a few observations.

A storefront will get you less jobs than a yellow page ad.
A storefront will cost double the rent
Having your Van and schedule 20 or 30 min. away does not lend itself to convenience.
paying someone to sit in that office is not fun.

Other than a place to actually clean and dry rugs, I really do not see an advantage.

Of course there are exceptions to everything...

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
there might be a understanding difference between a shop and a store front. Thread title is physical location. heres the local SS

DAYYYUUUMMM!

The one here is pretty big but holy $hit.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
They have a huge push twice a year when everyone is required to work 6 days a week and they pull i $$$ those months
Yeah the owners here live in a mansion, they do pretty good....