Is a physical location worth it?

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
As probably the majority of you know, you can run a cleaning business out of your home. Im curious how many have a store front? The reason I ask is because I coach high school golf, and the guy who coaches with me owns a glass shop in my town. ( Small town )... Half of the building their in is available for lease. Its been empty for years and I could get a nice sign out front which is on a road that gets good traffic, and an office that I could work out of and bring clients into if need be.$300 bucks a month.

Im curious, do you guys think it would be worth it? I like the idea for a few reasons.
1. It'd be easier to get office work done ( Cold calling, financials, billing, ect ).
2. It would be a step up from every cleaner in my area. No one has a physical location, every cleaner here works from home. It would give me that much more of a professional look.

I wanted to hear your thoughts since I'm so new

Reactions: Derek.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
If you are cleaning a lot of area rugs and you want to offer a storefront location for people to drop off and pick up rugs I say go for it. If you are doing it just to say "I have an office" I would say take the $300 a month and spend it on advertising or put it towards your retirement account.

Reactions: Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Agreed. Worked at a place that finally got a storefront, and they did rugs in the back. NO-ONE came in and said "Hey, will you guys clean my carpet?"

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
I've been toying with the idea myself. There are a few store fronts in my town that catch heavy traffic.as it would have to be passed by a lot of my demographic as its the only route to the grocery store. During the summer when they come to their lake homes they would see it. For anyone who has a storefront in town did it drum you up more business?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I've been toying with the idea myself. There are a few store fronts in my town that catch heavy traffic.as it would have to be passed by a lot of my demographic as its the only route to the grocery store. During the summer when they come to their lake homes they would see it. For anyone who has a storefront in town did it drum you up more business?

Coit Las Vegas is on Charleston Blvd just off Las Vegas Blvd, 2 of the busiest streets in town and I don't think they ever had a customer walk in to schedule a job. For that matter I don't think the storefront even brought in any work at all as everyone who brought in rugs usually called ahead of time and most of the time asked for directions on how to get there.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
Is is worth 300$ a month to hang out with somebody in between calls ? Thats what im thinking. :shrugs:

Mother Hubbard

Jan 12, 2013
Real Name
Shawn
If you are going to have a store front it has to pay for itself. Rug cleaning , possibly a recon shop for cars and rv's but to through good money for a desk in and office is a waste of money in my opinion.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Advertising (parked trailer) on a busy road brought me most of my business in the first 2 years. These numbers have dwindled due to the fact it is mostly the same traffic. Time to relocate trailer .
If you can truly justify the $300 rent it certainly will look very professional and certainly showcase your business. May be a great tax right off ??
Some can only "Dream" of a storefront.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Meh,

The only reason a store front makes sense is IF you are doing copious amounts of in shop rug cleaning. Other than that your customer will never know or care if you have a storefront. It will only give you prestige in your own mind. When was the last time you saw a plumber, or electrician, or landscape company with a store front???? You dont, and wont. Even the big names SS, trugreen, etc do NOT use store fronts. Mobile advertising kiosks yes, but permanent walk in facilities for customers. NOPE.

A shop is NOT about a store front. Its about a secure, warm place to store your vans and equipment and to provide you a place to do business WITH employees away from your home.

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
I might be in luck. A guy up the street from me has a small house for sale. It has one of our old small grocery stores beside it that comes with it. I might can snag it for a good price and rent the house to cover all bills. I'll be finding out more today.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Meh,

The only reason a store front makes sense is IF you are doing copious amounts of in shop rug cleaning. Other than that your customer will never know or care if you have a storefront. It will only give you prestige in your own mind. When was the last time you saw a plumber, or electrician, or landscape company with a store front???? You dont, and wont. Even the big names SS, trugreen, etc do NOT use store fronts. Mobile advertising kiosks yes, but permanent walk in facilities for customers. NOPE.

A shop is NOT about a store front. Its about a secure, warm place to store your vans and equipment and to provide you a place to do business WITH employees away from your home.
Mobile advertising kiosks yes,
This is why I mentioned my first 2 years the "Billboard trailer" was a great means of advertisement but it dried up like a storefront would. (same location)
Reading Matthews posts he is off to great start but he hits the marketing hard probably harder than most newbies and the office space may serve him well. He may be able to share the office space with another to share expenses.
I believe the "Dirt Hunter" will succeed and prove a few individuals wrong ! (not you Spazz)

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys, thats why im asking. Not sure if it will bring in business or not. Like I said, it'd be nice to have an office that not in my home. But if it doesn't pay for itself month after month, then it wouldn't be worth it to me... Jimsteam I know you had told me you have gotten a lot of jobs from your trailer. I need to find a place to park mine now that's its getting a little warmer.

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Waste of money. Don't ask me how I know. :(

I read somewhere that 70,000 cars a day pass this location. NO ONE has ever mentioned it.

CL_storefront.jpg

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
If you have an "office" you better have someone staffing it during regular business hours. So there will be additional expense in an office person, unless you want to be tied to a desk yourself.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
There is another possible benefit no one mentioned.

In addition to a place to clean rugs, meet clients, and organize supplies, materials equipment and chemicals, it would provide an excellent way to get on google places, which could bring in enough business to justify the overhead.
In a past business, I drove past a nice century home with an empty doctors office attached for years, on my way to the office space I rented about 20 miles from home.
This century house was about 5 minutes from my house, and at the intersection of a tiny town.
After seeing the for sale sign for several years, I called, and checked it out.
They had dropped the price from $250k to around $100k.
We negotiated, seller agreed to less than $100k, and carried a mortgage back for the down payment.
I ended up in it for 0 down and a tenant who paid the bulk of my costs every month.
So I had a 1000 sq ft office for a few hundred a month out of pocket, only minutes from home.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
We have a store front but we sell flooring too. One of the benefits is that helps you keep "the business" away from home. When I'm done for the day;I like to be "done" for the day.
If you should ever hire some office help,well; there ya go. A good place to park them. We also have people come in (with bottle in hand) and ask for another bottle of free spotter. Helps us to stay in front of the customer. There are many advantages to having a store front but it needs to pay for itself. How many other things could you sell your customers if you had a store front?

Rent them a Rug Doctor. I seriously thought about doing this. Hey, if they insist on doing their own rugs, then let me help and make a little; or talk them out of it. Stay in front of the customer.
If they ever ask you where your located; you can tell them. :)

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
Asking all these owner operators their opinions is useless. Anyone who tells you a store front on a busy street isn't worth $300 dollars probably thinks a full wrap is worthless too. For $300, I would jump on that in a heartbeat

Most the residents in my town drive to other cities for work. Slowly our downtown area has diminished. On the main strip that everyone from our lake has to pass to get groceries are at least 3 places for rent. They could go around this place but they would waste minutes driving away for no reason. One of them can be divided so I can rent out the other side or do whatever.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Asking all these owner operators their opinions is useless. Anyone who tells you a store front on a busy street isn't worth $300 dollars probably thinks a full wrap is worthless too. For $300, I would jump on that in a heartbeat
The original poster IS an owner operator, so maybe it's not as useless as you think.
Your post comes off as offensive and arrogant, but I'm sure that was not your intention, and maybe it's because I'm tired and cranky this morning from a busy week.:confused: