Is “high heat” less important now | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Is “high heat” less important now

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
Love this info! Long time porty user looking to swim over to the deep end of the pool. For the sake of clarity, are we talking wand temps or at the TM? And is there a general metric on degrees lost per ft of solution hose?

Reactions: Jim Davisson

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Dry times with my 4.8 cds salsa (200-220) are faster than with my 15 hp chem-tex (150-170 maybe). I can also clean wax without getting on my knees. The 4.8 does have higher flow and way more suction. As far as cleaning and chemistry I had always used Matirx Grand slam. Anything I sprayed essentially disappeared by the time I was ready to clean. Pretty easy, even with water from the tap and using a portable.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Back in the day when everything was sculptured nylon a tablespoon of chems and 160° - 190° made you look like a hero .
Now with poly carpet and being filthy high heat cuts the time down cleaning like 225°+

Reactions: ACP

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Love this info! Long time porty user looking to swim over to the deep end of the pool. For the sake of clarity, are we talking wand temps or at the TM? And is there a general metric on degrees lost per ft of solution hose?
I'm referring to wand temps. Here's the truth about TM temps especially heat exchanger units. They put the sender immediately aft of the heat exchanger, not really 100% accurate.

To get the best heat to the wand hook up exactly what you need to the panel, don't use a fully stacked live reel it kills your heat and flow. If you are a residential cleaner and use 125' on 95% of your jobs, put 150' continuous on the reel and carry a couple extra sections for the one off jobs. Fully stacked 250' live reels of 1/4" have abysmal output flow wise and kill your heat by up to 50° from the machine with low flow tools. With 150' of 3/8" OEM hose we are only losing 15° from the panel to the wand. That kind of performance is really good. 3/8" hose holds twice the capacity of 1/4" line post pump already pressurized, there's something to be said for that at the end of the day. Once you use it it's extremely hard to go back to 1/4".

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
well said JIM

if you have wire hose!!!!

read your temp gage subtract 30-50 degrees off the temp. to the wand.....unless you have OEM OR PARKER......
thermoplastic hose........

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
With 150 degrees at the wand and tmf chems never failed so far, I believe that anything more then 150-180 at the wand is extreme and dangerous to the operator and anything that is around you. I had 2x hose burst and I am not going more then 150 degrees any more so my hose can last for 3 years.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Fedri, I'm with you. I clean 50% of my jobs at 155° at 2 GPM. The other half are currently at 185° at 1.5 GPM. Zero difference behind the wand in time or efficiency. Honestly, sizing up the job and nailing the chems means more than heat to me.

Reactions: Fedri

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Personally I enjoy cleaning more around 200-220. There nothing I hate more then cleaning with tap/cold water.

I've had to do it before and man it sucks
I usually run bucket heaters in everything but the other day I had no outlets to use,,, cold water sucks

Reactions: ACP

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Fedri, I'm with you. I clean 50% of my jobs at 155° at 2 GPM. The other half are currently at 185° at 1.5 GPM. Zero difference behind the wand in time or efficiency. Honestly, sizing up the job and nailing the chems means more than heat to me.
Jim those are good amount of temps, it's hot enough that cannot be touched and not too steamy, steam doesn't have much of an effect on the rinsing. I want all my water flow to go on the carpet rather then evaporating.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I don't see the need nowadays for 220, 240, etc. Heat is still crucial, it's just a question of HOW MUCH HEAT.

Heat helps to liquify oily or sugary soils, making them easier to suspend. Sure, I could clean a lasagna pan with cold water, but it's going to be easier and faster with hot water.

Anything in the 160-180 range seems (to me anyway) to be all I need for basic stuff. More than that seems, for the most part, to be almost a waste of energy.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
When I sold commercial dishwashers we were told that it takes 140° to melt food grease.
That's just using the hot water supply.
Heated machines (have their own heating elements) run at 160°.
So it seems to me that 170° would be perfect.

Reactions: Robert86

lancestp

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
Lance Jacobson
I like to stay around 150 and that seems to cut soiled carpets real good. Also using top chemicals is key. So I would say hotter isnt better its the chemicals that we use that are more important.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I think 190 atw is the ideal temp. Helps speed cleaning, activates chemisty and makes carpets dry faster. Any more and you lose flush as so much vapor goes in the air. Not to mention burns the hades out of you if not careful or a hose breaks. This cleaner found this out using his courtesy hose. Not so courteous when the hose is so close to the heat exchanger causing ultra high temps.

lancestp

Sep 6, 2017
Real Name
Lance Jacobson
I think 190 atw is the ideal temp. Helps speed cleaning, activates chemisty and makes carpets dry faster. Any more and you lose flush as so much vapor goes in the air. Not to mention burns the hades out of you if not careful or a hose breaks. This cleaner found this out using his courtesy hose. Not so courteous when the hose is so close to the heat exchanger causing ultra high temps.

So what PSI are you running with a wand at those temps?

bcs

Mar 6, 2010
nz
Real Name
marcus barker
Business Location
New Zealand
Also need to factor in the length of your hose runs as you lose heat the further your out from your machine.Guys doing alot of commercial will use high heat more than those doing mostly residential.I would rather have adjustable high heat at my fingertips available to me than not.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So what PSI are you running with a wand at those temps?
That’s not me. That’s a cleaner who shared it. This is me. Not a beard guy.

IMG_7776.JPG

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Im cleaning without a heater so how water is whatever the tap is, usually 130. In most cases things have cleaned just fine without having to max my chemicals stronger or agitate more. If it's really bad I mix my chemicals a little stronger and problem solved. I'm planning to invest on an inline heater so I can get the higher temps but probably won't use it unless I'm doing greasy restaurants.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I usually run bucket heaters in everything but the other day I had no outlets to use,,, cold water sucks
is this sarcasm or do you run portables with bucket heaters?