Installed a predator engine in my el diablo

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
I was having a lot of issues with my Honda engine. It was bogging down real bad under load. It was due time to replace as it has over 5k hours on it! Engine finally blew up as I finished my last job Saturday. So I was checking out the new Hondas and kohlers because they discontinued the gx670. Pretty much looked like I was going to spend $1500-$2k, plus have to do some modifications. And I had to order one and that was going to take a few days. So I went to harbor freight and they saved me! (at least for a while I hope). Only modifications needed was the exhaust. I pulled the Honda exhaust and brought it to a welder and he cut and fit it to the predator engine for $20! The only other issue was the shaft on the predator engine is 1". Honda was 1-1/8. So I had to buy a new 1" Martin coupling for $50. All bolt holes lined up perfect and the height to attach to blower was perfect. No adjustments needed there. The controls were a pain on the predator engine as they were to close to the frame. So I moved the throttle, key and choke and got rid of there bulky control box. Anyways it was a pretty easy ordeal that took only a few hours to wire up and install. Back in business quick and it runs great!

Spent a total of around $800.

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1466476272.742446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1466476286.462802.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1466476299.546173.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How much did it cost you? And by the way, great job!!

Reactions: Vintage4life

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
The engine was $699. I'm really surprised how powerful it is. I would say it is every bit as powerful as the Honda. The throttle is much nicer and smoother on the predator engine. Especially how I have it mounted to the frame. Engine noise is the same. Time will tell but for the price and ease of putting it in I'm really impressed. I think it looks great too!

Reactions: rob allen

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
Another easy engine to drop in would be the Honda gx690. It's $1500. Everything matches up real nice on that one too. No one here stocks it so that would of taken a few days to get in and the cost was substantially more. Predator was an easy choice. I'll def keep you guys posted on its longevity.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
How long have you had the El Diablo and did you buy it brand new? Curious what other problems you've had along the way as I'm looking to buy one in a couple weeks. 5k hours on an engine isn't excessively long but it isn't too bad either.

I think it's great that you were able to get back in business quick and cheap... with the swap warranty I don't see how you can go wrong, unless you're swapping engines every month lol. Nice work.

Reactions: cpprestige

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
Yeah I bought it when they came out around 2008. I had 2 of them and sold the other a while back. You will def have some diesel heater issues. I would recommend you learn how everything works on it and what does what. Makes it so easy to diagnose issues. The machine is as simple as it comes and I think it's the best.

Main issue is that the heater can stick on. Easy fix. Clean assembly under heater. Takes a few minutes. Couplers wear over time. Super easy. 2 Allen screws and your done. Belt is really simple. Slide generator forward and it comes right off. None of this should be an issue anytime soon for you.

Masterblend puts in a really nice kohler engine now. The Honda was leaking oil from almost day one.

It's a beast of a machine man and the heat is insane! Just watch for heat issues and stay on top of maintenance. You will be very happy with it!

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
So far so good! Put a lot of time on it and it's holding up great. No issues. Def worth looking into before you pull the trigger on a new Honda or Kohler. Cool thing is harbor freight had a sale on these after I bought it and they gave me $100 back! So I paid $599. Pretty sweet!

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez
So far so good! Put a lot of time on it and it's holding up great. No issues. Def worth looking into before you pull the trigger on a new Honda or Kohler. Cool thing is harbor freight had a sale on these after I bought it and they gave me $100 back! So I paid $599. Pretty sweet!
That is so good, I last year bought a Briggs and Stratton $1,400 for one of my truck mounts, I put a lot of hours too, my second truck mount has a kohler engine that is giving up and I am contemplating getting this predator engine instead of spending over $1,000 in another Kohler I want to try this predator engine, thank you for your reply.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Thank you for replying and for your help, I am going to buy this engine next week
Hey, just read your thread • how’s the Predator Engine running ?

Id really like to hear how the El Diablo is holding up ?

• • the other guys commenting on their various engine experiences • sure be would helpful to get a two / three year later commentary • thanks Jose.