Industry Changes - Transition from Carpet to Hard Surfaces | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Industry Changes - Transition from Carpet to Hard Surfaces

FireDude174

May 8, 2020
Real Name
Dave Guzan
Howdy, I'm looking into possibly entering the Carpet, Upholstery, and Hard Surface Cleaning industry. My main question pertains to how current operators are not just surviving, but THRIVING with the changes in consumer flooring preferences. Anytime you watch a home renovation TV show or YouTube videos, you see carpets being replaced with hard surfaces such as vinyl plank in almost every room of the house, even the bedrooms. Has anyone struggled with this transition, or have you had great success in adapting your business to the changing consumer preferences? Thanks in advance!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yup, carpet will always exist. Upholstery, tile, etc. Diversify your business a bit with air ducts, restoration etc.

Reactions: FireDude174

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I agree, newer homes have more hard surface floors, but when you look at the existing homes, there is still a TON of carpet to clean.

Depends on where your at in your biz. Im 62 so expanding into hard floor cleaning is like teaching an old dog new tricks and Im too busy cleaning carpet anyway - usually schedule out two weeks in advance. So if I performed more services where would I put the extra work?

If your just starting out, hard surface cleaning will be a must.

Also depends on where you live. Kinda got job security in Wisconsin as you need carpet in cold weather climates.

Reactions: FireDude174

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Howdy, I'm looking into possibly entering the Carpet, Upholstery, and Hard Surface Cleaning industry. My main question pertains to how current operators are not just surviving, but THRIVING with the changes in consumer flooring preferences. Anytime you watch a home renovation TV show or YouTube videos, you see carpets being replaced with hard surfaces such as vinyl plank in almost every room of the house, even the bedrooms. Has anyone struggled with this transition, or have you had great success in adapting your business to the changing consumer preferences? Thanks in advance!
In real life, not TV one , there id carpeting fonna be involved in home setting. Here's the reason why: wifey likes hardwood, so is her husband, but they have 2 youngsters who love to stay close to the ground and that means soft covered surface. So, there is a need for different kinds of rugs, some made from synthetic materials, others, more delicate and more expensive would bear natural yarns. Not everyone is sending their rugs to the rug plant, quite opposite is true. I've seen and cleaned diferent types of hard surfaces, including LVT that you've mentioned. A lot of carpet cleaners don't have to make any transition, since they been bui

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Here's the fixed version.

[/QUOTE]
In real life, not TV one , there is carpeting always gonna be involved in home setting. Here's the reason why: wifey likes hardwood, so is her husband, but they have 2 youngsters who love to stay close to the ground and that means soft covered surface. So, there is a need for different kinds of rugs, some made from synthetic materials, others, more delicate and more expensive would bear natural yarns. Not everyone is sending their rugs to the rug plant, quite opposite is true. I've seen and cleaned diferent types of hard surfaces, including LVT that you've mentioned. A lot of carpet cleaners don't have to make any transition, since they built their businesses gradually and were adding more services over the period of time. Just like tile&grout cleaning , hardwood floor cleaning is essential to many carpet cleaners operation. If one owns Lindhaus, Tenant or Basic Coatings machine there is no reason for making transition, just pushing forward certain services more than the others. Same goes for tile&grout cleaning, upholstery, hardwood cleaning and pressure washing. Sure, space in your van is shrinking, but imagine that you have water extraction job and you're missing water claw, dehu and bunch of air movers. Stay the course, clean carpets, tiles&grout and if you want to venture into the hardwood floor cleaning and have 175 ( scrubber, buffer, planetary tool) in your inventory , you're on your way....
Explore TMF archives by using search button feature and check it out for yourself.
Good luck!

Reactions: mrotto

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location