In line Prespray application | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

In line Prespray application

Bakerb

Nov 4, 2018
Real Name
Ben Baker
Never used in line pre sprayer but I will run with one solution line and one man crew.

The only way to apply the pre spray is to lay down an area of pre spray that will allow the correct dwell time, detach for sprayer and then attach solution line to rotovac or wand and clean/extract that area then detach and attach solution line back Into in line sprayer and do over again for correct dwell time?

I guess my question is with the inline presprayer, you have to bounce the solution line back and forth from sprayer to rotovac/wand and also adjust the temp and psi each time while also keeping dwell time correct??

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Never used in line pre sprayer but I will run with one solution line and one man crew.

The only way to apply the pre spray is to lay down an area of pre spray that will allow the correct dwell time, detach for sprayer and then attach solution line to rotovac or wand and clean/extract that area then detach and attach solution line back Into in line sprayer and do over again for correct dwell time?

I guess my question is with the inline presprayer, you have to bounce the solution line back and forth from sprayer to rotovac/wand and also adjust the temp and psi each time while also keeping dwell time correct??
You'll get the feel of it with time, but no, you don't have to bounce back and forth all the time. When I do a small empty house, for example, I may apply pre-spray to all the areas before I even bring in my vacuum line. If I think I'm doing a larger area where the pre-spray will possibly dry out before I can get it cleaned I may do 2 or 3 bedrooms with pre-spray then clean them all before stopping to pre-spray another area such as a family room or living room. If you're using an enzyme pre-spray they may take a little longer dwell time, but most should be ready for cleaning in 10 or 15 minutes. If the carpet is not really that dirty to start with dwell time is really a non-issue. I did one yesterday where there was virtually no soil build up except perhaps a little in the main hallway. I laid down a very light and quick prespray deliberately. I didn't want or need to wet this particular carpet out too much. Honestly, with the exception of the hall, it would have cleaned extremely well w/o pre-treatment. That is a rare thing IMHO though. Most carpets benefit from a good, properly applied traffic lane cleaner. During warmer months your prespray may dry out quicker so you may only be able to treat 2 or 3 smaller rooms. Most applications don't require excessive dwell time. If I'm doing something extremely soiled I not only use dwell time but a good agitation to speed things along.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
you dont have to adjust the temperature or PSI.

Just get a good shutoff valve.

As a sidenote, at a IICRC class I sat next to two guys that were from the same company and we were having this very conversation. When the shutoff valve was mentioned, they said they didnt need a shutoff valve, they just kinked the hose. :ROFLMAO:

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
you dont have to adjust the temperature or PSI.

Just get a good shutoff valve.

As a sidenote, at a IICRC class I sat next to two guys that were from the same company and we were having this very conversation. When the shutoff valve was mentioned, they said they didnt need a shutoff valve, they just kinked the hose. :ROFLMAO:
Please PLEASE tell me this is a joke! If they were serious I don't think I could have kept talking with them without talking slower. As it is I lose it on guys who set the wand down face down with pressure on the hose instead of on its handle.

And like Wand Wizard was saying, dwell time is really important on really trashed out jobs but my average home comes out great with 3-5 minutes of dwell time. Usually just the time it takes me to spray the rest of the room then pull in the vac hose to where I started spraying. If it doesn't come out as good as you like it (for reasons within your control) then you'll just have to give it a bit more time or a stronger mix to see what works.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
nope, no joke.

Thats the nice thing about using a CRB (or 175) is that you are giving it the dwell time needed while you are using the machine to lift the nap and brush in the prespray.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I find 3 mins dwell time on Polyester and 10 min dwell time on Nylon to be the sweet spot. My theory is because Polyester isnt absorbent the water and chems travel down into the backing much faster and therefore not as effective.

Nylon is more absorbent and takes longer for the water and chems to absorb deep into the fibers.

This is an untested theory.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
All great advice above. I prespray from the furthest point of the room quickly out of the room and from the bottom of the stairs up for the least inhalation of chems. In the long run it is worth doing.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Wouldn't top of stairs down make you breathe less as your spraying away and moving down as opposed to spraying and moving into it ?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Wouldn't top of stairs down make you breathe less as your spraying away and moving down as opposed to spraying and moving into it ?
I feel like if you spray close to the carpet most of the aerosolized particles stay closer to the floor in the air. Moving top down keeps putting you at face level with the carpets you just sprayed a few seconds ago. In my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Jim Davisson