In a pinch, encapuguard green vs upholstery protector?

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Showed up to Saturday job and ran out of scotchgard. They want carpet protected. I have encapuguard green and pros choice upholstery guard ws. Which one would be best to use on carpet?

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
More than likely either will be fine. Just not sure if your fabric protector is water based or solvent based.
I'd go with encapuguard green to be safe.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Normally I would have responded in Greater depth but I figured you were pressed for time so I gave you the quick answer.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Thanks. Its water based, but yeah I was leaning encapuguard since it's made for carpet
Exactly what I was thinking. For some reason Pros Choice specifically formulated that protector for upholstery only and since I'm not a chemist I don't know why. Normally you can call them if you have a question or problem and they answer, but not so sure since it's Saturday. Anyway, better safe than sorry if you're unsure about something. Btw, I would not be surprised if the Encapuguard is superior to the Scotchgard anyway. I won't buy the stuff ever again. Too many other products that are better IMHO.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Exactly what I was thinking. For some reason Pros Choice specifically formulated that protector for upholstery only and since I'm not a chemist I don't know why. Normally you can call them if you have a question or problem and they answer, but not so sure since it's Saturday. Anyway, better safe than sorry if you're unsure about something. Btw, I would not be surprised if the Encapuguard is superior to the Scotchgard anyway. I won't buy the stuff ever again. Too many other products that are better IMHO.
Agreed, Randy. Scotch guard is garbage.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I was not on-line Saturday, so the issue is probably moot. You got good advice above.

Encapuguard Green is greener. It works very well as a carpet protector, especially against water-based liquids and dry soils. However, to be green, it must be biodegradable and break down sooner. Encapuguard Green does not last as long as fluorchemical carpet protectors. Depending upon traffic and how often and how aggressively it gets vacuumed, Encapuguard will last 3 to 6 months instead of 12 to 24 months.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Can Encapuguard green be used in a hydrodforce? what are the instructions?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Encapuguard Green can be applied with a Hydro-Force sprayer. The dilution rate is 1:8, so use the yellow tip. Coverage will be from 1600 to 1800 sq. ft. per gallon depending upon the thickness of the pile.

Additional information about Encapuguard Green can be found here - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR13GL

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Oil Repellency is the most important performance feature for upholstery. Encapuguard Green provides soil resistance and stain resistance for nylon and wool. Since most people do not walk on their upholstery and since wool and nylon are rarely used on nylon, I see no benefit to using on upholstery. One potential downside is that the polymers once dry can make the fabric stiff. Of course, a quick vacuuming removes that stiffness. Use protectors that provide oil repellency: Advanced Protector with Teflon, Maxim Advanced for Upholstery, and Maxim Fine Fabric. Let the fiber/fabric being treated pick the protector.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
use straight? or pre mix/dilute?
The final dilution should be 1:8. If using the Hydro-Force injection sprayer with the yellow tip, it mixes at 1:8. So, put the products in the jug straight and you will be dispensing at the correct 1:8 dilution ratio.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The final dilution should be 1:8. If using the Hydro-Force injection sprayer with the yellow tip, it mixes at 1:8. So, put the products in the jug straight and you will be dispensing at the correct 1:8 dilution ratio.
SWeeet!..
You are Awesome Scott!