Importing Equipment to Canada | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Importing Equipment to Canada

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Hey Guys,

I’m another crazy noobie trying to break into the business. Some background, I’m not afraid of hard work and rolling up my sleeves. My old
Man had a moving business which I co-ran untill I finished university. I’ve opened a succefull photography business in my early 20s which ran for 7 years before shutting it down when I started my 9-5 at a bank office. I’m sick and tired of the 9-5 spreadsheet report filling work and want to dive back into business ownership. I see a big gap in services in my area. Most guys book for 2-3 weeks out.

I have a small nestegg saved up which I want to use as seed capital. Any and all pointers are welcome, I found a couple of used butler systems online, id have to import them to Canada. Has anyone here done this before? Is there anything I need to do other than standard auto import? The biggest deal for car imports seems to be a salvage title.

Thanks in advance,
I’m looking forward to being active on the forum as I’m a big supporter of crowdshare knowledge.

-Konrad

Attachments

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Consider VAT and other taxes on products brought into Canada. Also consider the availability of parts for repairing equipment not sold locally.

Check with your local Safety Express or other carpet cleaning distributor to see what is available locally.

Reactions: Dizzle Dazzle

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Consider VAT and other taxes on products brought into Canada. Also consider the availability of parts for repairing equipment not sold locally.

Check with your local Safety Express or other carpet cleaning distributor to see what is available locally.

Good point, is there a Canadian thread anywhere? The most widely advertised systems I found in Canada are HydraMasters. They seem to get mixed reviews on this forum.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Good point, is there a Canadian thread anywhere? The most widely advertised systems I found in Canada are HydraMasters. They seem to get mixed reviews on this forum.
HydraMaster is one of the highest-volume equipment manufacturers in the US, if not the world. As such, there will be a great many more guys using them than other brands, and so even a small percentage of them with problems may appear to be "mixed reviews".

If, for example, there are 5,000 HydraMaster units in use out there, but only 1,500 Butlers, then a 2% malfunction rate would mean a hundred HMs with issues versus 30 Butlers (at the same ratio).

Take into consideration that the highest known hours on a single unit - over 55k and still going - is a HydraMaster unit.

All units are going to have their quirks; what matters is that you either have the know-how to repair it yourself or have someone nearby who does.

I've known quite a few guys who spent a week of vacation coming to the States to buy a machine, get some good food, and bringing it back home to Canada with them.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
HydraMaster is one of the highest-volume equipment manufacturers in the US, if not the world. As such, there will be a great many more guys using them than other brands, and so even a small percentage of them with problems may appear to be "mixed reviews".

If, for example, there are 5,000 HydraMaster units in use out there, but only 1,500 Butlers, then a 2% malfunction rate would mean a hundred HMs with issues versus 30 Butlers (at the same ratio).

Take into consideration that the highest known hours on a single unit - over 55k and still going - is a HydraMaster unit.

All units are going to have their quirks; what matters is that you either have the know-how to repair it yourself or have someone nearby who does.

I've known quite a few guys who spent a week of vacation coming to the States to buy a machine, get some good food, and bringing it back home to Canada with them.
Haven’t taken that into consideration. Thanks for the new perspective. I think sticking with machine that can be repaired locally is the right call. I’m handy but wouldn’t want to sit idle for too long because of some repair part I can’t get.

Reactions: Scott W