Implementing late fees

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
A customer is past due and has been a few times so I want to nip it in the butt NOW before it gets out of hand. Should I include the invoice number, past due amount and late fee amount on my next invoice which will also include the current amount due? I've never had to charge a late fee, this is a new customer and its a repeat so I feel I need to take action on the matter quickly. Any input would be helpful. Thank you

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Have you had a conversation with them about it yet?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I think having a direct conversation with them and making sure you are both on the same page about expectations of timely payment and go from there. A lot of my clients dont pay till 45 days later which can be annoying but they always pay

Reactions: J20770

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
. I have never charged a late fee. It’s a good way to piss them off and get nothing out of it. I’d suggest building this into work for the customer. IE if your hourly rate is 40/per hour up there’s to 45. Much better. They never notice and your getting paid to bank roll them. The last thing you ever want to do is upset a customer. A late paying customer is still a customer. And much easier to manage than trying to acquire a new one.
I’d think twice about service charges or late fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: J20770

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Do you have a disclaimer on your invoice or contract stating that you will charge a late fee? If not, the customer can legally refuse to pay the late charges.

If it's all there in black and white I would call for payment and then submit a statement with the invoice charges and the late fees as separate line items.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
One of my largest and best customers are anywhere from 90 to 120 days paying there invoices. I have never charged a late fee. It’s a good way to piss them off and get nothing out of it. I’d suggest building this into work for the customer. IE if your hourly rate is 40/per hour up there’s to 45. Much better. They never notice and your getting paid to bank roll them. The last thing you ever want to do is upset a customer. A late paying customer is still a customer. And much easier to manage than trying to acquire a new one.
I’d think twice about service charges or late fees.
I do that with a few of them too. Sometimes it's just easier.

Latest posts