www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I like VLM. I once did a church (9 years ago) and the heat from my bridgepoint lancer tm made the glue release on the CGD carpet. I was really scared about CGD after that. I love encap on CGD. So far I have done a doctors office, massage studio, and 4 large class rooms, as well as my living room with encap and my 175. The results have been beautiful.

Reactions: wynand

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
This is my main worry about losing business. We don't have to fear too much about Rug Drs because their suction sucks, they soap carpets to hell, hard to use, long dry times. What we have to worry about is the VLM Rug Dr or equivalent. Shark already has an encap machine out for residential. When someone makes a premium home encap machine and customers figure out all they need is to use a cheap sprayer to spray their carpets and run a cheap brush machine over their carpets it could hit our pocket books. As bad as the Rug Dr is, it is still our biggest competition. More customers choose to use a Rug Dr then any other competing carpet cleaning company.

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
This is my main worry about losing business. We don't have to fear too much about Rug Drs because their suction sucks, they soap carpets to hell, hard to use, long dry times. What we have to worry about is the VLM Rug Dr or equivalent. Shark already has an encap machine out for residential. When someone makes a premium home encap machine and customers figure out all they need is to use a cheap sprayer to spray their carpets and run a cheap brush machine over their carpets it could hit our pocket books. As bad as the Rug Dr is, it is still our biggest competition. More customers choose to use a Rug Dr then any other competing carpet cleaning company.

While in any business outside competition is an issue carpet cleaning is a premium service. If customers want to DIY their carpet let them because they aren't your ideal customer. Rug DR and outside methods should do nothing but increase our pricing because we are offering a premium service.

Think about it like this... Sure I can redo my entire front yards landscaping.. All the tools and everything are there but guess what I still have to do it. Because I'm me, I don't have time to jack around with this kind of stuff, I'm going to hire someone else out to do it. Not only will I save time but I will get it professionally done and it will look nicer than my own attempt to do it.

The real question is will shark or Rug dr come up with something that is going to deliver the same type of results as a professional...

SW*

Nov 12, 2008
West Fargo
Real Name
Scott Weiand
What spotter and strong encap are you using? How are you qualifying your results...over all ability to get clean carpets, $ per/hour rate increase or both.
Let's get some videos and pictures up on this test..I'm really interested to see how/if this will work. (and how/what you used to make it work)

For one week,with one truck all set to go. We are putting a Brush Pro crb in a wrapped van and sending a tech out. Want to see what kind of response we get along with results. If we have to follow up with truck mount we will for re-dos. Ballsy but curiosity has got me. I bleed HWE. Let's see if I can bleed VLM. Our procedure will be simple;

Prevac with dust collectors
Pre-spot
Pre-spray w/strong encap
Scrub well w/Brush Pro (blue brushes)
Post vac w/dust collectors

Suggestions appreciated. Wish us well. I will report back my findings afterwards.

Larry Cobb

Mar 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Larry Cobb
Rob;

I think this is a very courageous endeavor . . .

I think the results will be great . . .

and the dollar returned per hour will be better . . .

Just make sure you leave the trademark V-Pattern.

Of course, you can do the Tile & Grout also.

Larry

Mike Habib

Sep 18, 2012
Real Name
Mike Habib
Rob, I can tell you that VLM does work but it depends on what kind of condition the carpets are in. I just did a rental with a 175 , used a Dirt Napper first and then went over it with a Bonnet pad. It was medium soiled and it came out great. On trashed carpets, I like to use my Rotovac powerwand. I know I am going to catch hell for this however, on a lot of residential I do, I'll use my VonSchrader LMX first and then go back over it with my 175 and a Bonnet pad. Carpets come on looking very good and it is almost dry by the time I leave. My rep at https://shop.truckmountforums.com has been trying to talk me into buying a CRB. I'll be curious to see what you have to say in a few weeks.

Derek.

May 6, 2010
Western NY
Real Name
Derek B
Business Location
United States
no need to worry Will. those of us who are experienced VLM'ers know that the machine you mention is under weight to do any real cleaning.

i think it will be a bene for the industry. gets ppl thinking about clean carpets. when they can't achieve it with that machine, they'll call us.

any advertising is good advertising...every SS commercial on TV is good for all of us, gets ppl thinking about calling their service provider.

Reactions: Adam Valencia

Mike Habib

Sep 18, 2012
Real Name
Mike Habib
I agree with Derek, Just look at the Oreck Orbitor, It is a well made machine and if you go into a Oreck store, they will tell you that it can clean carpets and sell everything that you need. Bottom line is most people either do not have the time to clean their own carpets or just do not want to. Look how many lawn care companies have popped up over the last ten years. Just about everyone I know owns a lawn mower , they just don't want to cut it themselves.

bjones2004

Feb 3, 2013
Real Name
Brandon Jones
I agree with Derek, Just look at the Oreck Orbitor, It is a well made machine and if you go into a Oreck store, they will tell you that it can clean carpets and sell everything that you need. Bottom line is most people either do not have the time to clean their own carpets or just do not want to. Look how many lawn care companies have popped up over the last ten years. Just about everyone I know owns a lawn mower , they just don't want to cut it themselves.

I guess all my friends and me are poor or want to spend money on something fun. I wouldn't pay someone 50 bucks to cut my lawn. That's enough money to buy 46 bars of fels naptha or quite a few delicious cuts of ribeye.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TMF Forums mobile app

advanced

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
chris vowels
For one week,with one truck all set to go. We are putting a Brush Pro crb in a wrapped van and sending a tech out. Want to see what kind of response we get along with results. If we have to follow up with truck mount we will for re-dos. Ballsy but curiosity has got me. I bleed HWE. Let's see if I can bleed VLM. Our procedure will be simple;

Pre-spot
Pre-spray w/strong encap

Suggestions appreciated. Wish us well. I will report back my findings afterwards.
My brother has a 12 year company built on only vim results are great with crb. Release it for chemical we have tried every chem under the sun and keep coming back for a reason. I am newly established 2 year I offer both Hwe and low moist. I charge more per room for low. customers love the end result even know they may be sceptic at first cause Hwe has been around for 70 yrs. your cust will love it you can cut in some nice r.angles finishes a room off nice . The black brushes are the choice for a friend of mine that uses a crb. Hope this helps

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Only the low paying people will do that.
There's just too many people that are not intrested in cleaning their own carpet no matter how easy it is. They don't want to waste their time.
And most will never be able to do it well. They will screw it up and not be consistent and really need a hwe to fix it.

Heck I even pay someone to mow my lawn and spray the grass and do the mulch now. I can make more money in a couple hours than what it costs me to pay someone to do a weekend list if crap like that.

Reactions: Jsinopoli003

AZ cleaner

Jun 8, 2013
Real Name
Gary Yowell
define clean.....no really, think about it anyone who doesn't acknowledge the breeding ground created by HWE is fooling themselves....a maintained carpet should never require more than a light cleaning....so define clean

Reactions: ronman

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Rob,

If you're going to go straight VLM I think you should consider adding one more tool to the van:

175 or an OP.

If you have anything rough the CRB alone, imo, will not be enough. You'd be better off quickly following the CRB with an absorbent pad of some sort. SuperZorb, Glad, Bonnet Pro, microfiber, etc.

An absorbent pad will pick up a lot....

Pre-spot
Pre-spray w/strong encap

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
How will you address edges though ?

These crb machines don't get perfectly up to the edge and dig out the black.

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
JMO, but it's the unpredictable situations that might require more than one VLM tool.

Here's something where a CRB followed with an absorbent pad would be a good 1-2 combo (not sure if the CRB alone would be enough):

Clean vs. Dirty Pads:

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Agree with D here. Definitely need some sort of soil extraction. Whether its a 175 or OP, it will make night and day differences over just a crb.

Use tuways, mf pads, or even loopy bonnets and prepare to be amazed.

What are you using for chems?

Reactions: Buster123

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
Agree with D here. Definitely need some sort of soil extraction. Whether its a 175 or OP, it will make night and day differences over just a crb.

Use tuways, mf pads, or even loopy bonnets and prepare to be amazed.

What are you using for chems?

I thought the idea behind encapsulation was in the Pre-Vac and then after the clean the dirt is crystallized and then it Vacuumed. Is that not soil extraction?

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
I thought the idea behind encapsulation was in the Pre-Vac and then after the clean the dirt is crystallized and then it Vacuumed. Is that not soil extraction?

No you're right. I (personally) just like to remove as much soil as possible....then let the chem do its thing....

Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Rob, how in the world is this coming up today!?
Too weird.

I was just talking to green joe here in town, he does low moisture exclusively, and I was sharing my experience.

I have cleaned a guys carpet I know for a couple years now with HWE as always. He's never been home when I do the cleaning, so last time about 6 months ago I used a crb only! Not a hose brought into the house.
I asked him how it looked the next day and he said "fine".

I just cleaned his house again last week with the tm again. I asked today how it looks and he said "good except the main traffic lane out of my kitchen didn't come out quite as well this time like it did last"

I about fell over....

I'm not sure that I'm cool with making it my only method, but to not recognize it as a powerful and valid one is straight ignorance.

I am curious do most of you guys use the dry absorbent saw dust type material?? If some could please clarify how they handle a regular dirty carpet and if there is a major difference in your steps with a RAT NASTY move out apartment type? I find bits and pieces of info but really want to hear from some cleaners that only use VLM or Dry Carpet Equipment on everything

Thanks
Robb

pmathot

Jun 7, 2011
Penrith, Lower Blue Mountains - Sydney, Australia
www.mightyclean.com.au
Real Name
Phil Mathot
Business Location
Australia
Having seen what Torrey does with the BrushPro - I must admit that I've thought a good system could be built around the use of this machine. Would be great if you could fit a shower feed or spray system to it to enhance productivity anymore.

However, not sure encap is going to ever be a replacement for HWE. The results are often simply not good enough. For some reason, encap does not emulsify grease and oil the way a good pre-spray does, and I'm not convinced it deals very well with detergent residue. But if your clientele are the type that maintain and look after their carpets, I think the BrushPro system might be a winner.

Phil M.