Im Starting To Get Really Irritated With This

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I posted a while back about my 870 the bypass cooler the inlet of it coming apart, well today it froze im assuming and sprung a leak, we had been cleaning with it all day and this morning it was 10 degrees colder than when it busted
Guess my question is are any guys on here running 870s in colder climates, someone mentioned in my 1st thread about cold air being drawn across that cooler causing it to freeze with just water running thru it. Im starting to think they were prob right. Any thoughts on this guys?

Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Andrew Thornberg
@SRD I have an 870 it does not have that cooler on it thankfully. Worked in 14 degree temperature today. Why I think that cooler will freeze. While my machine is warming up and while I am setting up I will partially cover the vacuum port. What I have noticed even with temperatures around 34 or 35 degrees, ice crystals will form just inside the vacuum port probably because of the wind chill factor. So that cooler being placed in front of the radiator having cold air drawn thru it is asking for trouble. Having a cooler on the 870 is a good idea because it dumps so much water. But it needs to be located in a better place. Or removed

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
You guys operating in cold weather might have to put a 3-way splicer in line with a ball valve and direct water flow a different direction in winter months. Pretty damn stupid to have to do that but what else are you going to do?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
@SRD I have an 870 it does not have that cooler on it thankfully. Worked in 14 degree temperature today. Why I think that cooler will freeze. While my machine is warming up and while I am setting up I will partially cover the vacuum port. What I have noticed even with temperatures around 34 or 35 degrees, ice crystals will form just inside the vacuum port probably because of the wind chill factor. So that cooler being placed in front of the radiator having cold air drawn thru it is asking for trouble. Having a cooler on the 870 is a good idea because it dumps so much water. But it needs to be located in a better place. Or removed
My thinking is that when not cleaning its bypassing and moving but while cleaning it wouldnt be flowing thru the bypass i think thats when it would freeze
Kinda messed up if your not cleaning the bypass cooler wont freeze, but your solution lines will cause their not flowing but if youre cleaning your solution lines wont freeze but your bypass cooler will..so your pretty well screwed either way

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Andrew Thornberg
That is exactly what it is doing. Even if your water was hot it wouldn't take long for it to freeze. My concern would be on start up with cold water in the cooler.

Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Andrew Thornberg
Are you running two tools off the machine or one? If you are only running one you might think about running a higher flow so the water box doesn't get as hot and get rid of the cooler for now. I am a single operator usually using 8 or 9 flow at 3 to 400 psi depending on the tool that I am using.

Jun 11, 2015
Real Name
Scott Stuart
What type of thermostat can I put in my truck and have it alert me on my phone if the temperature drops to a set temperature?

Rhett

Jan 12, 2018
Real Name
Rhett Freeman
This really worries me. I was going to get an 870 but maybe I better get the Everest. What does saffire say about this problem. I know if you were just doing flood work and the heat was on off mode a pump was off that would surely freeze wouldn’t?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
This really worries me. I was going to get an 870 but maybe I better get the Everest. What does saffire say about this problem. I know if you were just doing flood work and the heat was on off mode a pump was off that would surely freeze wouldn’t?
Only thing saphire said the 1st time was that i prob let it freeze and it wouldnt be covered under warranty, id have to send it to them 1st for them to inspect it before they would send a replacement part. fudge being broke down for a week while they figure out a way to deny warranty. All my trucks sit in a heated shop at all times when not cleaning and in 20+ years of doing this ive NEVER let a truck freeze not once not to mention it was in the high 40s when it busted. My distributor even told the guy at saphire it didnt freeze
This has me stumped we cleaned all day with it and it was alot colder that morning, it busted about 1 or 2 pm that day. I replaced it today and where it busted it lookes like the metal is worn thin. I doesnt look like a typical freeze/bust spot no swelling etc.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Only thing saphire said the 1st time was that i prob let it freeze and it wouldnt be covered under warranty, id have to send it to them 1st for them to inspect it before they would send a replacement part. fudge being broke down for a week while they figure out a way to deny warranty. All my trucks sit in a heated shop at all times when not cleaning and in 20+ years of doing this ive NEVER let a truck freeze not once not to mention it was in the high 40s when it busted. My distributor even told the guy at saphire it didnt freeze
This has me stumped we cleaned all day with it and it was alot colder that morning, it busted about 1 or 2 pm that day. I replaced it today and where it busted it lookes like the metal is worn thin. I doesnt look like a typical freeze/bust spot no swelling etc.
Where did it bust at? Is it copper? Are you using soft water?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Sorry I went back an read and you said it was the inlet. You say it looks like it is wearing thin and the reason I ask on the soft water will be hard to believe. I was told by an expert that is a power washer and power washer heater manufacturer of propane and diesel heaters that soft water will strip the coatings on the inside of a coil. He said it is better to let hard water build up on the inside of a coil to protect it. Now he is not saying to not clean it once in a while but not to use soft water because it will do more harm than good. Now if that cooler on the 870 is aluminum it might wear it thin if this guy is right but I still have a hard time believing him but who knows. Just saying things that I have been told.

Rhett

Jan 12, 2018
Real Name
Rhett Freeman
Have you tried to bypass cooler and run it that way cause of cold temperatures? I’m not sure if that would cause problems or not. I was also wondering what kind of water temps your getting with the 870 and if your happy with it besides the bypass cooler problem?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Have you tried to bypass cooler and run it that way cause of cold temperatures? I’m not sure if that would cause problems or not. I was also wondering what kind of water temps your getting with the 870 and if your happy with it besides the bypass cooler problem?
I havent as of yet i looked at the schematic and it loops back to the water box so i dont think taking the cooler out of the loop would hurt it might even give me some better temps, going to call saphire monday and see what they say about it.
I guess im happy with it so far its started and ran every time i needed it to. Vac is good, temps could be better in my opinion summer i was getting 230 to 240 with a single wand 8 flow. Now that its cold thats dropped to 195 to 210. Taking that cooler out of the loop may help that.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
2017 with 50 hours on it and cooler has blown twice
Not good. Not good at all. Have you talked to Rick Aranda?

Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Andrew Thornberg
Looked at the schematics, can't understand what they are trying to accomplish by placing that cooler in the plumbing the way they are. If you remove it you would probably void any warranty you might have. It is fed off the temp. sensor on the outlet manifold (don't understand it). If it is rubbed thin, what is rubbing on it? It may not look nice but could you turn the bolts around and bolt it to the front of the machine. Running the bolts through the grill. Thus having it in place but isolated from the engine vibration. Still have to worry about it freezing.