mikew

Sep 1, 2010
California
www.trustcarpets.com
Real Name
Mike
Business Location
United States
I'm starting my own carpet/tile cleaning company and could use some advise. Finally after 22 years working for someone else its time. I have been reading alot of the tech info you all have giving and hope you can help me. Here are some questions that I have.
#1 whats a good amount of money to start a new company with?
#2 what would be a good reliable inexpensive truck mount to start with? I can upgrade as I grow.
#3 what has work for some of you for drumming up new buisness at first? (PLEASE NO SALES PACKAGES)
#4 Any questions that I am mising?
Let me thank you in advance for all of your help in the past and in the future.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
For inexpencive marketing Google Places can drive a lot of business for FREE!!

But, you have to set your listing apart to maximize it.

You maximize it by getting listed on top and having tons of reviews.

For me it works much better than my #1 rated organic website.

2k from it so far this week.

You can find information about Google Places on this site or around the web, utube etc.....

Remember marketing in it's simpelest form is just relationship building.

Use the same skills you use in everyday life to build relationships.

It's not rocket science.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

braddaddy

Dec 8, 2009
Illinois
Real Name
[email protected] [email protected]
Business Location
United States
#1 - As much as you can....
equipment,
vehicle,
training,
marketing materials,
chemicals,
more equipment you didnt think of,
more chems you didnt think of,
Insurance,
more money to get you thru the slow start,
and still more so you can eat and keep the lights on.
and even more money for the stuff I forgot....... :)

#2 - The best you can afford.
I would start with a porty /// just to see if you can, like, want, should do this.

#3 - try everything.... what works for him, me, her, might not work for you....

#4 - Im sure as you surf the posts you will find a zillion questions we all have asked....

This forum is great for answers... just be ready for the questions that will result from all the different answers

If you are not careful, you just might get even more confused...

mikew

Sep 1, 2010
California
www.trustcarpets.com
Real Name
Mike
Business Location
United States
Thanks Rob your videos are nice. I have been working for Servpro for 22 years, I was looking for a good idea on start up costs, truck mount recomendations. I am very good at sales and customer relations. Was looking to spend around 12000-18000 on van and truck mount. 1000 on chemical jon-don is my supplier. was looking on how much to spend on advertising and best places to advertise. I do like your videos but found one differance on set up. I do the figure 8 as well but when I lay my house I start at the furthest point and work my way out that way if I'm alittle short then I use my stubby hose an 10 footer I had made. But everything else I agree on. Great noobie tranning videos I might get a set down the road to train my helpers and crew chiefs.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks Rob your videos are nice. I have been working for Servpro for 22 years, I was looking for a good idea on start up costs, truck mount recomendations. I am very good at sales and customer relations. Was looking to spend around 12000-18000 on van and truck mount. 1000 on chemical jon-don is my supplier. was looking on how much to spend on advertising and best places to advertise. I do like your videos but found one differance on set up. I do the figure 8 as well but when I lay my house I start at the furthest point and work my way out that way if I'm alittle short then I use my stubby hose an 10 footer I had made. But everything else I agree on. Great noobie tranning videos I might get a set down the road to train my helpers and crew chiefs.

1) Buy an Amtex or MB El D for 10-15 k
2) Buy a used van in great shape
3) Wrap it
4) Get website built and SEO it
5) Hit the streets and get some commercial

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the help Rob. Love your forums great info here

Thanks Mike one more suggestion. Browse the TMF Classifieds for used machines.vans and tools to help work with in your budget.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States

How much is left after that?

I would want at least $10,000{or more} in bank if you have a family to support and may even want a part-time job for first 2 years.

for start up

1. website {a great one that in top3 places for your towns} google places listing
2. Van something with the van either a wrap or multi colored lettering
These are basics

Then you have ask yourself some hard questions and figure out what you are good at and enjoy doing.
How much money you have to lose

Their is no super duper secret it depends on how much money you have and what you are good at.
But focus like a laser on only 1 or 2 in the beginning and master those 1 or 2.
some options
1. commercial door to door {cold calling small businesses}
2.Targeted direct mail
3. Networking groups
4.Telemarketing businesses
5.Residential door to door
6.Third party refferals- retailers,real estate etc.

whatever one you think you will do then OWN it, do it all day every day and OWN it.Just focus on 1 or 2 and then over time as your cash grows you can diversify but in the first 3-5 years keep everything simple

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I'm starting my own carpet/tile cleaning company and could use some advise. Finally after 22 years working for someone else its time. I have been reading alot of the tech info you all have giving and hope you can help me. Here are some questions that I have.
#1 whats a good amount of money to start a new company with?
As much as you have is how much to start with. Like the old joke " How do you become a millionaire in the carpet cleaning business? Answer Start as a billionaire."
You have whatever you have. More money may mean that you could start with more vans and a big ad campaugn and a nice office, but you can still get into business wwith a very modest amount of money.

Include chemicals, equipment, don't forget marketing and also have some money to live on until the business gets rolling. In many parts of the country, winter is a slow time.

#2 what would be a good reliable inexpensive truck mount to start with? I can upgrade as I grow.
The right truckmount depends upon your intended use. If you do businesses at night you may want a quiet unit to avoid violating nosie ordicnances. If you clean greasy restuarants, lots of heat is important. If you will have long hose runs, you will want the most powerful vacuum you can get. Many similar questions. Try to define your business before you decide what equipment you will purchase. Otherwise you get the equipment and it defines you. Better if you stay in charge.

Interlink Supply distributors carry most of the major brands plus reconditioned equipment that comes off lease programs. They can help you compare and find something that suits your business. When someone only has one type of unit to sell, they tend to think it fits every need.

#3 what has work for some of you for drumming up new buisness at first? (PLEASE NO SALES PACKAGES)
For metropolitain areas, the Internet is definitely a key. Great graphics on your van, a good wrap for example is another important sales tool. Forming relationships with people who can refer business - retailersm bankers, carpet stores, interior designers, etc. - can be very valuable.

While building my business, I did a lot of farming. This takes time, but I had more time than money in the early days. If you want a copy of my free report on farming, send me an email and put "farming" in the subject line.

#4 Any questions that I am mising?
Let me thank you in advance for all of your help in the past and in the future.

Congratulations and best wishes on your new endevour, Mike.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on starting your own business. This can be a great industry for an entrepreneur IF you do it right. OR it can quickly degrade into a miserable, high pressure lower-middle-class, no benefits existence. You have to do it right.

My old friend and Internet adversary Scotty Warrington has it exactly right when he states:

"Try to define your business before you decide what equipment you will purchase. Otherwise you get the equipment and it defines you. Better if you stay in charge." (I have no idea why Scott was SHOUTING WITH ALL THAT BOLD PRINT!)

I would go Scott one better, Mike, and say you need to "define yourself" first. What goals/ vision/ values do you and your family share? think carefully on this because your business should serve you, not the other way around. (I know you are focused on equipment and that is fine but as Scott points out there are other more important things to reflect on.) I think it gets back to one of my favorite sayings, "Begin with the end in mind."

To help you on this, Mike, please check out the "Just Starting Out?" section of the SFS website. All you find here is honest, targeted, down-in-the-trenches information without any "shameless touting of a certain distribution network". :)

Here is the address for the "Starting a Carpet Cleaning Business" section of the SFS site (you will find very little if any product information there) AND you don't need to sign up to access the information:

http://sfs.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com/tag/how-to-start-cleaning-business

Let Scott and me know how we can help. Best wishes.

Steve
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS One concept I would encourage you to reflect on, Mike, is what I call "Avoiding the Road in-Between". This is where you are both "too big" to enjoy the freedom and lack of worries of an owner-operator but 'too small" to have the "Critical Mass' of a large business. This "road in between" is a normal growth stage IF you want to grow a large business. But I found too many carpet cleaners just sort of hunker down and literally waste there life trapped in this very difficult business model. I wrote a paper on how to avoid this trap several years ago and many have told me it has helped them enormously. You can access the free download right here:

http://sfs.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com/861/resources/special-reports/road-between