I'm raising my minimum to get rid of low end clients

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Conan the Grammarian just gave birth to a litter of kittens. Angry kittens.

Reactions: LeeRoy

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
I don't mind charging $ 90 for some elderly person to clean a room or two. Do I make a great profit on that job probably not. Did I help my customer who may not have a lot of money, yes I did. Hopefully at the end of the month the winners make up for the lower margin jobs. I have a very low overhead so my viewpoint may be different than yours.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
At the end of the day a Pro gets Paid Pro wages. But a true Pro gives back a lot too.

Reactions: BROOMYS

DRYEX

Mar 6, 2006
www.dryex.com
I currently have a minimum of $119 and am considering raising it to $149.. I have found over the past 3 years of being in business that it is just not worth my time to travel to a job, spend 20 min unloading a truck, 15 to load back up to do 3 rooms of carpet that takes a total of 2 hrs total time or more depending on travel for 119 bucks. These clients that ponder what rooms to have done just to meet the minimum usually have the dirtiest carpet requiring the most amount of time and in my opinion they deserve the hacks that will even go less than that just to get work.

There was a period in time when I was just starting out that I would let these ppl run all over me for 119 to get work but I now realize that my services far out value their dirty carpets and outragous expections. What will you guys start your trucks for and what is your minimum and why?
I have a $140 minimum. Next threshold will be $160. Start charging for on-site proposals that can be applied towards to job if hired. That will weed out, well, the weeds.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
It's more the boarder town (you can look into Juarez from I-10) attitude of thinking cheap then the oil prices here. Even my wife is still stuck in her mexican thinking and says my upholstery prices are expensive, I charge $30 for a recliner, $50 love seat, $60 sofa and $90 sectional. I hardly do any upholstery jobs, maybe 1-2 a month.
Damn...I charge $279.95 for sectionals all day long, in Texas

Reactions: BROOMYS

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Damn...I charge $279.95 for sectionals all day long, in Texas
I have increased my prices since I posted those prices. Now a recliner is $45, loveseat $65, 3 person sofa $75 and sectional is $130. Still low but it is what it is and I believe my upholstery prices are higher than most in my area.

Reactions: Predict

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Keep raising them you know you want to.... sectionals are a LOT of work.

I dont hold back on full U shape pillow pile ones anymore, they take SO long to clean with 30+ cushions lol

Predict

Oct 15, 2016
Real Name
Christopher
Prices sound fair to me, but what if they just want a recliner? You not charging only $45 right?

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I have raised my prices by 8.1% beginning of 2018 and I had a busy 2018 till December, things slowed down by 40%. I have dumped alot of cheapos. It takes 4 years to build up to be for the all year long busy. 2 years ago I started to advertise for high end and I have realized how cheap my prices were compared to my competition.

Reactions: Rick Imby

Predict

Oct 15, 2016
Real Name
Christopher
I'm learning it all depends on the area you live. I have $80 min fee and some people hang up and some say no problem.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
IMHO you can only raise prices when your call volume increases and that takes time.
Once you get to 20+ calls a week or more then you can raise prices.
I recently substantially raised my prices and naturally my jobs decreased BUT I make more per job now, so I work less for the same income.
I love doing $500 and being done by lunch, or make $1500 in 2 days

Reactions: Predict

Predict

Oct 15, 2016
Real Name
Christopher
IMHO you can only raise prices when your call volume increases and that takes time.
Once you get to 20+ calls a week or more then you can raise prices.
I recently substantially raised my prices and naturally my jobs decreased BUT I make more per job now, so I work less for the same income.
I love doing $500 and being done by lunch, or make $1500 in 2 days
Good advice. How long did it take you to reach that 20+ calls week. I assume that's 20+ jobs too?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Good advice. How long did it take you to reach that 20+ calls week. I assume that's 20+ jobs too?
I'm paying $1300 a month for marketing in local print ad magazine.
I only do T&G and shower renovations, so I really only do 1 job a day or 1/2 a job a day.
So experiment with marketing, do fantastic work and in time it will grow.
You carpet guys have an advantage with repeating customers so you should build a respectable book of business in 3-5 years.
I'm just now getting to the point where soccer moms are talking & recommending me at their kids games, next-door recommendations are coming in and a couple of Realtors have been sending me work.
It takes time.
I've done plenty of low paying crappy jobs and that really helped me stiffen my resolve to charge more!
You reach a point where your quality and attention to detail, customer service etc really pays off.

Reactions: zack and Rick Imby

MSSCleaning

Jul 31, 2018
Denver, CO
www.msscleaning.com
Real Name
Andrew Rohr
Business Location
United States
Minimums and healthy pricing are a great idea. We've seen that the cheap customers who want to nickle and dime you also tend to be the biggest headaches. A minimum scares off the one room jobs that don't end making much margin after everything is accounted for. We'd rather do 2 $300 jobs in a day than 5 $150 jobs, as an example. Yes, the 5 $150 jobs will generate $150 more revenue, but it requires setup and breakdown that many more times (more payroll), gas and wear and tear between jobs, more chemical, etc.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I've doubled my prices on some services this year and it's paying off big time. Sure I don't get every job but there is no better feeling than being able to take your time and still make great money?
I booked 10 estimates yesterday alone!

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING