I'm raising my minimum to get rid of low end clients

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 15, 2016
Real Name
Christopher
I think it is $150 for initial application and $445 for first year. You can join for two years and it is less per year. Dirt cheap for what I get out of it. I get about 20K a year to eat lunch with people that are sending me biz. I like that Idea. I send them biz too.
So it's just random local businesses that display your ad or business card? In return you display their business?

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
So it's just random local businesses that display your ad or business card? In return you display their business?
No. Here is how Business Networking International works.

Each week I go to a meeting and have 60 seconds to tell my fellow BNI members what the perfect referral would be for me. They go out and try to find that referral for me. I do the same for them. In effect, for $595 for the first year, I hired about 20 sales people. I earn about $192 per hour devoted to BNI. So, it is a no brainer.

Oct 15, 2016
Real Name
Christopher
No. Here is how Business Networking International works.

Each week I go to a meeting and have 60 seconds to tell my fellow BNI members what the perfect referral would be for me. They go out and try to find that referral for me. I do the same for them. In effect, for $595 for the first year, I hired about 20 sales people. I earn about $192 per hour devoted to BNI. So, it is a no brainer.
What is the perfect referral for you?

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Steve Forsmann
Cris,
What are your monthly fixed costs?
Do NOT answer here on the forum please just want you to think about it.
How many jobs with your current job average do you need to complete to fulfill your monthly fixed costs?

How much do you currently have budgeted in your fixed costs each month for marketing?

Do you know you will need to spend 15-30% of the amount you want to Gross this year on marketing.

So if you want to gross 200K you need to be spending $3,500. a month in ads and marketing.

Forget about the rest.....
Its just a distraction....

only numbers and facts matter in bizz.
You don't take numbers or percentages to the bank

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
You may have a point.
I am in Columbus Ohio.
Very Midwest.
Folks dont do BS
Global warming is out.
Green just means overpriced.
Folks just want a straight forward
no hassle
easy
in and out cleaning that doesent take all day but dries in 2-4 hours
AND
the important thing is
the customer had a good experience with the technician
And
the price
Doesn't break the bank.

Midwest folks are NOT impressed by 50 different steps of service.
I disagree .. I'm in Dayton just down the road from you and a lot of what you're saying is close to right. But it's not that they aren't willing to pay for premium ! First off 50 steps is fine but most don't care what every single one is. Second it does matter to them that you do the job you sold them can you look them in the eye and mean it when you say your premium... Can they tell the job is premium without you talking down to them or spelling out every single step because A you took the time to do it right and B the carpet looks good now and 9 months from now ... if any of that is a weak link for you or they doubt your integrity/ability no they won't pay you well... and remember Dayton is regularly in the bottom 10 of the US Economy wise pretty much every year

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Alright Matt,
That;s the next push. I am going to keep the minimum at the original $119, Start with the 8X10 in the paper bi-weekly and then val-pack and increase our jobs per week, giving the basic and try to work on the upsells ie. Scothgard, tile n; grout. From there proceed with a second van/company to transition away from the GREEN and just offer it as an option for those tree-huggers.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction
Save your money ... first off I am on similar path to you as far as number of jobs per day etc.. the more you charge the less effective ANY paid advertising is . Unless you want to revert and go backwards to being a coupon company like the newbies... your best advertising is your already happy customers.. what I've been doing the last 3 years is every single job I look for ways I can make my service for that customer and future ones even more premium that in turn opens the door to improve my per job average and because the job is so good they're excited to tell they're friends... my wife does a check back a day or two later and makes sure to send a link to our Facebook page ... you can call me after 5 pm if you'd like 937-434-0902 I can go into more detail... and btw I'm in Dayton Ohio one of the bottom 10 worst metro economic areas every year

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Business 101 here ... when you eat at any restaurant ( hi end low end etc ) do ya really care if the lease for the property is high or how much the workers get paid ? No ... you want to get a meal that meets or exceeds your expectations so if its rallys your mostly there for price vs a high end you expect great service etc and know it costs more for a steak at a hi end restaurant than at Denny's ... why does a hi end restaurant take reservations or make you wait to be seated often even though there are many open tables ? Because they want to make sure you get excellent service once they seat you , wouldn't do any good seating you if there is no server to take of you or kitchen is swamped... so if you're a hi end carpet cleaner what services do you offer your customers? And no I don't mean how many different revenue streams do you make sure to upsell .. I mean what value do you offer them ? Ability to fit them in on short notice , quick drying for that party tomorrow , helpful honest advice even when there's no money in it for you , minimal resoiling and there are certainly more ... the more of these you offer more people will gladly pay and if you charge accordingly for that far less upselling will be needed to make a dime or a dollar

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
I currently have a minimum of $119 and am considering raising it to $149.. I have found over the past 3 years of being in business that it is just not worth my time to travel to a job, spend 20 min unloading a truck, 15 to load back up to do 3 rooms of carpet that takes a total of 2 hrs total time or more depending on travel for 119 bucks. These clients that ponder what rooms to have done just to meet the minimum usually have the dirtiest carpet requiring the most amount of time and in my opinion they deserve the hacks that will even go less than that just to get work.

There was a period in time when I was just starting out that I would let these ppl run all over me for 119 to get work but I now realize that my services far out value their dirty carpets and outragous expections. What will you guys start your trucks for and what is your minimum and why?
Also never directly or indirectly tell a customer to go elsewhere ... figure out how to convince them your better service is worth paying more for.... customers cost too much to get new ones.... only exception is if you're always swamped

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Also never directly or indirectly tell a customer to go elsewhere ... figure out how to convince them your better service is worth paying more for.... customers cost too much to get new ones.... only exception is if you're always swamped
If you can't convince a customer who's seen your work to pay more how ya gonna convince someone who hasn't seen your work

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Jason
Hi Matt,
I just checked the Stanley Steamer website for area code 60477 and they are at 62 dollars for the first room and 47 for the second room. Not sure what the minimum is, I understand about accumulative business, however these customers after fuel, taxes and time to unload, load and actually do the job, make it difficult to make a living when a 23,000 truck
mount rolls up onto the driveway, not including the van that got it there.
The minimum would be $62

Kilara

Jul 3, 2018
USA, New York
Real Name
Hannah
Business Location
United States
Unless you work in a depressed area, most people wont bat an eye at that minimum

Oct 28, 2015
Real Name
mike riley
First, o all, carpet cleaning prices, have been way, to cheap, for, far too long..My, minum, is 150...It's hard, labor, and trip costs, and chem use..And you're paying a tech, with ya..In, comparison, all or your other service people, charge 65.OO, to just show, up...It's called, a service charge!...Yeah, that's rite!, a frikken service charge!...Unless, you are putting, that into you're sq. ft, charge, you are loosing money..I, don't charge a trip, charge, but charge or, pre spays, speed drying, or other things..( pet treatments, or protectors, .We've been giving these services away, for years....Even, vacuuming, , and moving furniture...Wake, up guys,. ..I, don't charge, for those things, but have raised prices, a bit...( Some, but, not all)....Pay, my, techs 15.000 an hour, to push the wand.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
First, o all, carpet cleaning prices, have been way, to cheap, for, far too long..My, minum, is 150...It's hard, labor, and trip costs, and chem use..And you're paying a tech, with ya..In, comparison, all or your other service people, charge 65.OO, to just show, up...It's called, a service charge!...Yeah, that's rite!, a frikken service charge!...Unless, you are putting, that into you're sq. ft, charge, you are loosing money..I, don't charge a trip, charge, but charge or, pre spays, speed drying, or other things..( pet treatments, or protectors, .We've been giving these services away, for years....Even, vacuuming, , and moving furniture...Wake, up guys,. ..I, don't charge, for those things, but have raised prices, a bit...( Some, but, not all)....Pay, my, techs 15.000 an hour, to push the wand.
Commas are in short supply! Use them sparingly! :p

Oct 28, 2015
Real Name
mike riley
Stair stets, full, typical, are, 45.00, up, from last year,, at 35.00.…i don't count frikkin steps!...Of, course, half steps, makes one...,pre, sprays, and rake in cost, money, and tyme..Can't include that, anymore...I half gallon, of a a dam good pre- spray, will, costya too.....So, funny. My frig repair man, fixed, my ice, maker last, week..Charged me, 65.00 to just show up..Was here for an hour..The bill was 165.00..!.....Need, a furnace repair guy to come, out next week..My, pellet stove guy came out last, week..The bill was , 261.00..He, was here for , an hour..Re think, your service charges!...They, can get the famous, rug, doctor, but, we all know, that, is, not really cleaning.

Oct 28, 2015
Real Name
mike riley
What, it, all boils down, too guys, is your clientele, will have to accept, the fact, that, wat you do, is, very needed, and necessary..The days of cheap, are gone..However, be reasonable..The fast, food meal, was 5.00., now, it is 9.50..