Im considering buying a Little Giant Heater - deciding between a 120000 BTU and a 180000 BTU heater | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Im considering buying a Little Giant Heater - deciding between a 120000 BTU and a 180000 BTU heater

James Drennan

Sep 19, 2013
Real Name
James D
So I'm leaning mostly toward a Little Giant propane heater to complement my portable extractor. I'm currently using a King Cobra. I'm deciding whether or not I should get either the #3 - 120,000 BTU heater and a #4 - 180,000 BTU heater. Which do you guys use and which do you recommend? Or should I consider a diesel or some other sort of heater? Thank you all in advance. Also, which vacuum booster do you guys recommend?

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
So I'm leaning mostly toward a Little Giant propane heater to complement my portable extractor. I'm currently using a King Cobra. I'm deciding whether or not I should get either the #3 - 120,000 BTU heater and a #4 - 180,000 BTU heater. Which do you guys use and which do you recommend? Or should I consider a diesel or some other sort of heater? Thank you all in advance. Also, which vacuum booster do you guys recommend?

A diesel heater is HEAVY! The only place I would recommend that is permanently mounted in a truck/van. The propane line of heaters should be quite light. I own a diesel heater, but I'm thinking the BTU's aren't going to matter much since your water usage is quite light. Maybe someone who own's one can chime in.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
Why do you want such a big propane heater? I have helped numerous individuals with
getting them set up with propane heat with Little Giant heaters. Personally and most of
my customers purchaced the 2HT 65,000 btu heater. These were all high performance
portables and they left everything in their van or trailer. The difference in all 3 heaters is
not how hot of water they can produce but how many gallons per hour. Some do go
for the 3HT. They have models in the 3HT that are available for using with high pressure
pumps 1300 psi for tile and grout. And to keep with tile and grout since it uses more
solution when using a spinner tool the more btus may make more sense. I think they will
build 2HTs with high pressure coils but not positive. But if you plan on just cleaning carpet
with the heater then you might want to hear from those who are currently using 2HTs.
I know with mine that the quick disconnects are so hot that they burn my fingers. When
changing from my Hydroforce to my wand will blister my fingers if I do not use gloves.
I sell all 3 heaters as I am a distributor and I make more money the more expensive
they get but my conscience will not allow me to not tell you the facts and how having
one will be compared to another. The 4HT 180,000 btus is mostly for dual wand
cleaning with large truckmounts.

Jan Sullins
americankleenpro@cox.net

Presidential Cleaning

Nov 13, 2008
The White House
www.presidentialcleaningtn.com
Real Name
Zac
Business Location
United States
What do you mostly clean? Residential or commercial? Carpet? Tile?

James Drennan

Sep 19, 2013
Real Name
James D
I do both commercial and residential, carpet cleaning and tile and grout cleaning. So what length of hose can I adequately run with a #2 heater. I do intend on getting a heater with high pressure pumps. Thank you guys for your responses.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Why do you want such a big propane heater? I have helped numerous individuals with
getting them set up with propane heat with Little Giant heaters. Personally and most of
my customers purchaced the 2HT 65,000 btu heater. These were all high performance
portables and they left everything in their van or trailer. The difference in all 3 heaters is
not how hot of water they can produce but how many gallons per hour. Some do go
for the 3HT. They have models in the 3HT that are available for using with high pressure
pumps 1300 psi for tile and grout. And to keep with tile and grout since it uses more
solution when using a spinner tool the more btus may make more sense. I think they will
build 2HTs with high pressure coils but not positive. But if you plan on just cleaning carpet
with the heater then you might want to hear from those who are currently using 2HTs.
I know with mine that the quick disconnects are so hot that they burn my fingers. When
changing from my Hydroforce to my wand will blister my fingers if I do not use gloves.
I sell all 3 heaters as I am a distributor and I make more money the more expensive
they get but my conscience will not allow me to not tell you the facts and how having
one will be compared to another. The 4HT 180,000 btus is mostly for dual wand
cleaning with large truckmounts.

Jan Sullins
americankleenpro@cox.net
the whole enchilada in a nut shell no more comments.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Dude I'm not trying to start a war here... just asking a question. It seems like you're looking for more vacuum power, and more heat. Why not think about getting a nice used truckmount?

James Drennan

Sep 19, 2013
Real Name
James D
Dude I'm not trying to start a war here... just asking a question. It seems like you're looking for more vacuum power, and more heat. Why not think about getting a nice used truckmount?
Because it is more expensive to buy and maintain. Plus, what sort of warranty would I get on used equipment? I've already got an 8,000 watt generator. I've got a few vacuum boosters. All it seems I need at this point is good heater so that I can actually steam clean. I'm open to buying another booster however. I'm guessing this setup is less expensive to run as well. I'd prefer to keep my portable in my trailer just so that I could tell people that I have a truckmount.

Reactions: StevenB.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
2 Ht is plenty at 350 psi/4 flow ( portable ) and the 3 HT will burn up propane twice as fast.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I have both a #2 and a #3. The 3 is installed in the van, it keeps up the heat a little better when running a rotary jet tool. The #2 is fine with a wand and will do an adequate job. Mine lives on a cart. I use it in big secure buildings.

Reactions: StevenB.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
if i'm using a wand, there's not much difference in heat or amount of propane burned between my 2 and 3. With a rotary jet tool, there's a considerable difference and I would recommend a #3. That being said, 165- 180 deg water cleans better than cold water in most circumstances, so I'd rather have my #2 than an electric heater.

The thing not addressed in this discussion is the amount of heat loss between the jets and the carpet..... hotter water loses heat more rapidly than cooler water. A lot of guys who haven't measured the temp at the carpet vs the temp at the trigger (lie detector) are in for a big suprise. At a Winterfest event several years ago, with a Vortex cranked up, lie detector at 265 deg F at the wand, the hotted we could get the carpets with the wand stationary and water pooling in one spot was 182 deg f. Trying to follow the jet flow with the infared meter was hard but it averaged 137-142 deg at the back wand lip on a slow pull stroke at the carpet and 73 deg f on the front side....3/4" separating one lip from the other....the effects of cold air rushing through the wand lips.

James Drennan

Sep 19, 2013
Real Name
James D
Thanks all for the invaluable input. So now I'm basically deciding between a #2 and a #3. My goal is to keep the heater in the truck. I can afford a #3. Would using a #2 be that much more cost-efficient? I'm also attracted to the high pressure aspect of the #3 in the event that I ever decide to do some pressure washing.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Thanks all for the invaluable input. So now I'm basically deciding between a #2 and a #3. My goal is to keep the heater in the truck. I can afford a #3. Would using a #2 be that much more cost-efficient? I'm also attracted to the high pressure aspect of the #3 in the event that I ever decide to do some pressure washing.
If you are considering a high flow rotary or a TM down the road purchase the 3 HT high pressure model.
Hard to put a number on exactly how much propane a 3ht will use over the 2ht . Cost of propane in your are ?
65K vs 130K you WILL use more fuel.
With a good chemical, agitation and dwell the 2 ht works fine on carpet and tile IMO.
Paul is correct ...heat at the floor is not what it is at the heater. Some websites advertise 250 degrees heat to "sanitize" your carpet and kill all bacteria LMAO what a joke !

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I agree with most of the comments above. Jim Morrow really has
a good understanding of the Little Giant Propane heaters. If you plan
on running your equipment in a trailer or van and in addition you are
planning to purchace a rotary extraction tool like the RX 20,T-Rex or
360 then I would recommend the 3HT. If you plan on using just a wand
then the 2HT will provide all the hot water you will need. I have heard
all kinds of tests where tempature is measured at heater and then at
wand. For sure you do lose quite a bit of heat when running your setup
with 100 feet of sol. hose . Lose more in winter of course . Especially
in the coldest regions of USA. Still the 2HT will provide sufficient heat
in almost all cases when using a typical wand. I do know that in almost
every case my fingers get burned when cleaning carpet with a 2HT heater
when hooking up my hydroforce to put down prespray and then change
and hook up wand to rinse and extract. Sometimes gloves are nice to have!
I agree with Jim that
the wand should have a .04 flow which of course means for instance
with a dual jet wand it will have either 2 11002s or 9502s . I have a
4 jet wand with all 9501s . I use Tee Jets with filters to keep small orfices
from getting plugged up. One should also have a Tee jet cleaner on his
truck.