IICRC, Who is, Who isn't?

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
31 years and never been certified. Thought about doing it just to do it. That is as far as I got though. :)

Reactions: StevenB.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
You Da' man Troy! Wish everyone had our "SICK' sense of HUMOR! PS: Think Vacuum has two C's " VACCUUM..Maybe not..Told you I dont own one...Got PLENTY BROOMS THO...Wife Flys em most the time...
I have a vacuum in the back of my truck! I never use it! I just give it too the customer to borrow when they give me an excuse why they couldn't vacuum their carpets because they didn't own a vacuum

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
I've learnt more on TMF than any IICRC course.... serious!
I've ONLY learned on TMF. Never had ride along experience or worked with another pro cleaner at all. I just cleaned some friends and family carpets, made a business plan and started cleaning. This all came after a year of researching this site and taking good notes. Thus far have had happy customers. :)

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I've ONLY learned on TMF. Never had ride along experience or worked with another pro cleaner at all. I just cleaned some friends and family carpets, made a business plan and started cleaning. This all came after a year of researching this site and taking good notes. Thus far have had happy customers. :)
Right on Bro! Good Stuff here..Happy all is well for you..Truly an awesome Biz to be in.

Reactions: emeraldclean

jeffk734

Jun 2, 2011
MI
Real Name
Jeff King
Business Location
United States
In 18 years of cleaning carpet I have yet to run into any customer who has ever heard of the IICRC. So I doubt many are using the certified or not thing to make their choice of what carpet cleaning company to use.
Dave I agree, what I was saying if a non certified cleaner and a certified cleaner were in a customers house at the same time then personally I would think the customer would choose the certified cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
In decades of having my cars repaired, I never asked a mechanic if he was certified. But I have often looked to see his signs in the shop.

Customer won't ask to see proof of your certification, but I certainly think they will consider your certification if you tell them / show them you are certified especially if you have been marketing the benefits of certification.

BTW - The IICRC is not longer the only organization certifying carpet cleaners. ICRA now has a skills test / assessment that you have to show you can clean, remove stains, measure, etc. You get certified if you have the skills and can demonstrate them.

Reactions: tom patnode

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
In decades of having my cars repaired, I never asked a mechanic if he was certified. But I have often looked to see his signs in the shop.

Customer won't ask to see of your certipaymentation, but I certainly think they will consider your certification if you tell them / show them you are certified especially if you have been marketing the benefits of certification.

BTW - The IICRC is not longer the only organization certifying carpet cleaners. ICRA now has a skills test / assessment that you have to show you can clean, remove stains, measure, etc. You get certified if you have the skills and can demonstrate them.
i have been vocal that i have been waiting over 4 months for IICRC to send me my new non expired card, still waiting.... its good to hear they have competition. Paying$120 a year and not even being able to get a reciept of payment?
I am torn on what to do with my certifications now

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
i have been vocal that i have been waiting over 4 months for IICRC to send me my new non expired card, still waiting.... its good to hear they have competition. Paying$120 a year and not even being able to get a reciept of payment?
I am torn on what to do with my certifications now

I can tell you what to do with you IICRC certifications. :)

Reactions: Kenny Wright

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
I am a certified carpet cleaning. Certified by myself.
over the years I can say that I know what I'm doing and when to walk away.

When those guys, start regulating those people driving their own vehicle with 175's in their trunk, offering CC for 150 a whole house and ruining the industry. I will probably start looking at them, like some respected institute, for now any group of CC like us, here at TMF could backing up each other as a experts.

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
I got certified then let it lapse after I realized that certification was a waste of money, imo. Also, how do you give any credibility to a "professional" organization that will give a gold seal of approval to any manufacturer, like Rug Doctor, willing to pay for it.

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
I got certified then let it lapse after I realized that certification was a waste of money, imo. Also, how do you give any credibility to a "professional" organization that will give a gold seal of approval to any manufacturer, like Rug Doctor, willing to pay for it.
Technically those are two separate organizations the CRI gives the gold seal to rug doctor, the IICRC set standards for how to use the tools

Bionic

Jun 29, 2012
Real Name
Lucas Lutz
Courses in my area are few and far between. Waiting to take my first, when ever they finally schedule one. Anyone know where can I get the iicrc text books for the courses? Before taking the course?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Courses in my area are few and far between. Waiting to take my first, when ever they finally schedule one. Anyone know where can I get the iicrc text books for the courses? Before taking the course?
Each school that presents the course has its own text book that it teaches form. IICRC must approve that the text book is accurate on the material covered in the exam, but aside form there, there can be a wide difefrence in the quality of the text books from one instructor to the next.

If you register for a class and ask for the text book, the are supposed to send it to anyone who has registered for the class up to 6 weeks in advance. This allows them to prepare for the course.

The IICRC text books used for many classes at Bridgepoint, Aramsco and Interlink Supply are available through Interlinksupply.com. Several of these I contributed to or wrote, BTW.

Carpet Cleaning - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=LB36
Commercial Carpet Cleaning - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=LM07
Water Damage Restoration - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=LM54

There are at least 5 others also on the website.

Cost is in the $50 to $70 range. Many locations will give you the price of the etxtbook or 1/2 the price of the textbook as a discount from the class price if you already have the book and they don't have to give you another copy.

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States
Certifications can seem like a waste of money and when you do not go after customers who want you to be certified then you are wasting money.
Go to local carpet stores or any store that sells carpet and they need to know who locally is iicrc certified to clean carpets for warranty using hwe.
On any new commercial carpet many highrise bldgs here and some offices are aware of warranty requirements where you can not clean carpets if you are not certified. But i understand some towns offer no use for certifications because most home owners and most commercial bldgs do not even clean the carpet until 5 years after it is installed which voids the warranty (for those of you who have not taken a class)

Must be different here because carpet wears out from the sand in 3 years so many people have gone through the education of what happens if you try to put in a claim on warranty and you did not use certified company and clean carpet in 18 months.
I have received jobs from furniture stores and carpet stores and from people looking on the iicrc website for certified local firms.
My one commercial job has paid for the last ten years of fees and will cover the next 20 years of fees.

Even though you can get positive things from being certified it does depend on what type of customer you are going to go after.
I have changed gears and have turned down all warranty work and use pads to clean carpets which voids warranty------because i can get better results on these carpets here that have wear patterns in 2 years and i have plenty of work and turn away customers. I tell my customers who put in new carpet and people that find me on iicrc website to call me in 5 years when they are not happy with how carpets look and they find out they can not get carpets replaced because the walk ways look gray when they follow mfgs and the iicrc recommendations.
So there are always plenty of customers no matter how you are certified.

What amazes me is the amount of guys on all the forums who have no clue what they are doing and they start a carpet cleaning business-----go take a carpet cleaning class to learn how to id fibers and use chemistry. At least take a spot removal class from CTI or some course you can get online if you are to cheap to fly to virgina and pay Rob to teach you how it is done:ROFLMAO:

Last edited: