Sent my guy to this in october, look at the expiration dates

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Card was already expired by several months when we got it, certificate expires 4 months after he took the class:mad: 2 different expiration dates on his 1st cert

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Few years ago after pulling my Master's for some ridiculous reason they sent me a letter saying it was reinstated for a year for free. Yeah nah, not interested anymore. You have to stay current with your guys for insurance claim purposes, I get that.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ya all my master certifications were taken from me to thousands upon thousands of money and time gone.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I've always said just because any group has millions pouring in a year doesn't make them any less morons.

Reactions: SRD

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I never cleaned a carpet, yet I want to start a carpet (floor) cleaning business. *I must be nuts*. :)

I went to the IICRC carpet cleaning tech class last week and took the test. Waiting (up to 6 weeks) for the results.

Aside from wanting to learn the craft a little bit I thought I could use the certification on my website to add credibility since I am the new guy in town. Hearing this scenario (and attending class) has me wondering what exactly this dynamic is between IICRC and the industry as a whole and also TMF.

What I mean is I mentioned TMF to my instructor during break and he made it clear TMF is not the place to go to learn the business. Im ok with people having their opinions but my gut instinct was telling me he went into sales mode and was trying to influence me to create a relationship with the supplier where the class was being held and learn form them (and buy from them) and also my instinct told me his agenda was very much selling us (me) on more classes. Granted, Im all for education and realize I have a lot to learn.

Now, to be fair it does seem learning carpet repair and color repair could be very lucrative especially in growing the average job ticket amount but it started (over two days) to border on cult like. The instructor was pretty insistent that almost no one does carpet repair and even fewer people do color repair. He was so very insistent this is a HUGE money making opportunity. Followed by, these classes are starting soon...

To continue to be fair, I liked the instructor, and he really knew his stuff, and I tend to believe him about his success over 30 years in the industry. BUT, the extent he went to make the case against TMF (I wasn't even being an evangelist about TMF, merely sharing my experience and what others who have shared before me regarding their experiences in the industry) and that I should stay away, and that I can't learn the business that way and I needed the IICRC as it was the industry standard felt a little weird.

This got me wondering why such venom toward TMF. I mean, for most things nowadays I want to learn about I search the internet. It just so happens most searches in this industry lead me to TMF. Not saying TMF is the end all be all but it IS a collection of people in the business sharing their real experiences for others to study, think, and learn from.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything but since the class last week I have been thinking about how to outlet this perspective the instructor has toward the 'kooks' and 'rogues' on TMF in his support of the IICRC. Seemed like the right post and time to do so.

Anyway, as I start on my shoestring my big concern (FEAR) is getting customers after I start. But that's another post.

Reactions: rob allen

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Card was already expired by several months when we got it, certificate expires 4 months after he took the class:mad: 2 different expiration dates on his 1st cert
Crazy man. Hope they straightened it out for you!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Few years ago after pulling my Master's for some ridiculous reason they sent me a letter saying it was reinstated for a year for free. Yeah nah, not interested anymore. You have to stay current with your guys for insurance claim purposes, I get that.
Equally crazy sounding. I imagine you would still promote your Masters certification attainment if pressed? Unless, you are well known and trusted this is no longer an issue.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I've always said just because any group has millions pouring in a year doesn't make them any less morons.
ha ha yes absolutely. People are people man. Did I mention I love people!

Reactions: rob allen

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I got out of the IICRC after my first year with them.
Johnny, do you still advertised you are certified? Some of the carpet mills ( I do believe) recommend or require carpet to be cleaned by a IICRC certified technician or company to uphold the warranty. Do you ever find some customers actually read that fine print and ask those type of questions?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I never cleaned a carpet, yet I want to start a carpet (floor) cleaning business. *I must be nuts*. :)

I went to the IICRC carpet cleaning tech class last week and took the test. Waiting (up to 6 weeks) for the results.

Aside from wanting to learn the craft a little bit I thought I could use the certification on my website to add credibility since I am the new guy in town. Hearing this scenario (and attending class) has me wondering what exactly this dynamic is between IICRC and the industry as a whole and also TMF.

What I mean is I mentioned TMF to my instructor during break and he made it clear TMF is not the place to go to learn the business. Im ok with people having their opinions but my gut instinct was telling me he went into sales mode and was trying to influence me to create a relationship with the supplier where the class was being held and learn form them (and buy from them) and also my instinct told me his agenda was very much selling us (me) on more classes. Granted, Im all for education and realize I have a lot to learn.

Now, to be fair it does seem learning carpet repair and color repair could be very lucrative especially in growing the average job ticket amount but it started (over two days) to border on cult like. The instructor was pretty insistent that almost no one does carpet repair and even fewer people do color repair. He was so very insistent this is a HUGE money making opportunity. Followed by, these classes are starting soon...

To continue to be fair, I liked the instructor, and he really knew his stuff, and I tend to believe him about his success over 30 years in the industry. BUT, the extent he went to make the case against TMF (I wasn't even being an evangelist about TMF, merely sharing my experience and what others who have shared before me regarding their experiences in the industry) and that I should stay away, and that I can't learn the business that way and I needed the IICRC as it was the industry standard felt a little weird.

This got me wondering why such venom toward TMF. I mean, for most things nowadays I want to learn about I search the internet. It just so happens most searches in this industry lead me to TMF. Not saying TMF is the end all be all but it IS a collection of people in the business sharing their real experiences for others to study, think, and learn from.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything but since the class last week I have been thinking about how to outlet this perspective the instructor has toward the 'kooks' and 'rogues' on TMF in his support of the IICRC. Seemed like the right post and time to do so.

Anyway, as I start on my shoestring my big concern (FEAR) is getting customers after I start. But that's another post.
They forget the IICRC was started by one man whose others called crazy with a vision. Who knows, maybe the next generation of school will be started by one crazy man with a vision.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
They forget the IICRC was started by one man whose others called crazy with a vision. Who knows, maybe the next generation of school will be started by one crazy man with a vision.
Yes maybe that is you, Rob! I might suppose one logical next step would be getting carpet manufacturers to recognize you as it relates to the care and warranty off their product.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Just give the IICRC a call, I’m certain they will correct matters.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yes maybe that is you, Rob! I might suppose one logical next step would be getting carpet manufacturers to recognize you as it relates to the care and warranty off their product.
Shaw offers free classes

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I became certified with the IICUC (prior name of IICRC) in carpet and upholstery cleaning in the mid 80's. Then I went for my Master and Certified Firm, and paId dues for 3 decades, and not once was I aware of them doing anything to promote an IICRC Certified Cleaner. So I finally stopped paying my dues. They decided that since I let it lapse, and they were finally promoting the IICRC, they would not reinstate me without a high fee. So I lost a great referral lead from a top end carpet retailer in town.

I guess they were saying that if I wasn't a current certified guy, I couldn't clean for them anymore because I no longer knew what I was doing in regards to cleaning.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
That’s crazy! I advertise I’m certified but nobody ever checks. How did they even know.