IICRC FEES!!!

AZDENNO@AOL.COM

Mar 4, 2012
ARIZONA
Real Name
NATHAN DENNO
Business Location
United States
I have been certified with the IICRC now for over 20 years. My company is a certified firm and I send ALL of my techs to get certified. Im getting sick to my stomach on how they are charging the fees. I have 16 certificantion currently and Master certified. Just got my bill a week ago and the IICRC wants $12.00 for my master cert, ok!, $60 for 5 or more certs ok! BUT they want $72.00 additionally for my AMRT (mold) cert!!!!! So I called to ask why, they had no answers. From the information i got from them is the entire staff has only been there for alittle over 6 months. I asked for a meeting with the president of the IICRC Richard Green. That meeting took place a week later and he had no answers. I was told by Mr. Green to contact the previous staff to answer my question. I infomed Mr. green this is his responsibility to understand the IICRC fees and be able to justifie them. At this point he required me to e-mail this request in writing for him to get me the answer to these simple question. Which i did. WOW !!! We are the ones paying all the fees, promoting the IICRC to the Public and educating the our clients. When was the last time you ever saw a advertisement for the IICRC anywhere? I never have, not even in a flooring store. SO MY QUESTION TO YOU. IS IT TIME TO LET THE IICRC GO?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I picked up AMRT at last a while back, and hit Master status, and saw my IICRC fees triple as well.

To me, the gravitas of being a Master is worth the expense... but then again, I work in a part of this industry where I am expected to answer questions on multiple types of issues (carpet, water damage, upholstery, fire contents, putrefaction, tear gas, moldy crawls, you name it) at the drop of a hat. That's not something your average Joe faces on a daily basis.

If the guys come in and see my certs on the wall, they have a bit more confidence that I'm not just pulling answers out of my rear. Once they have established in their own minds that yes, I have been helpful and my recommendations have worked in the field, then the certs become less important.

Not everyone takes the fullest advantage of their certs. I see many guys say "well, my customers never ask to see my certifications" - and if they're not promoting the fact that they're a cut above the norm, then no one's going to know it. So for those businesses, the cost of keeping a title that they aren't going to advertise doesn't make sense. Why buy a Ferrari if you're going to keep it parked in the garage and never bring it out?

It's not up to a customer to ask what you're worth - it's up to the businessman to sell himself at the price he deserves.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Thanks to Amy for explaining that a lot better than I could !!
Just took the First Response class last week which is kind of an introduction to the three day class for water damage .
We get floods around here and thought I should know something about that end of the business in case a customer would have a question or need something . The fees are like any professional organization and the IICRC has had its problems . That said , they are getting better . It's going to take some time for them to straighten out issues and get members like you BETTER answers . Kind of like what Warren Buffett says , " Some things just take time . In other words , you can't get a baby in a month by getting nine women pregnant " .
All the Best, Ed

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
$12.00 for my master cert.

How many quality flyers or brochures can you get printed for 12 bucks or 72 bucks, now spend time and money on distribution.?

How much to even hire some one that knows how to format a flyer?

Reactions: Camsrd3

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
In the field of veterinary medicine, I've seen dozens of veterinary techicians (a step above an assistant but below the actual doctor) who knew more about essential diagnostics, anatomy, pharmaceutical doseage, and basic surgical technique and procedure than the darn doctor did. In other words, they could do the doctor's job better than the doctor could. But since the doctor had the schooling and the piece of paper on the wall, the doctor got the bigger wage. The vet tech was stuck, much like a registered nurse, doing the stuff the doctor didn't want to do.

Hence, although one person was more qualified in their abilities, the other got paid more and was recognized as an authority based solely on their educational level. The tech didn't go all the way through the doctorate level in school, and hence won't command the same salary.

This is, of course, an extreme example. But you get my drift.

Reactions: aloha one

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Nathan, i dropped the iicrc years ago classes i support but to keep paying for your deploma is STUPID

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Join the TMF Academy that is launching shortly and you don't have to worry about those type of fees :)

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: CodyDee

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
In the field of veterinary medicine, I've seen dozens of veterinary techicians (a step above an assistant but below the actual doctor) who knew more about essential diagnostics, anatomy, pharmaceutical doseage, and basic surgical technique and procedure than the darn doctor did. In other words, they could do the doctor's job better than the doctor could. But since the doctor had the schooling and the piece of paper on the wall, the doctor got the bigger wage. The vet tech was stuck, much like a registered nurse, doing the stuff the doctor didn't want to do.

Hence, although one person was more qualified in their abilities, the other got paid more and was recognized as an authority based solely on their educational level. The tech didn't go all the way through the doctorate level in school, and hence won't command the same salary.

This is, of course, an extreme example. But you get my drift.
Yes like you said extreme example... got a good chuckle on that one Amy!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The staff at the IICRC runs the daily operations. The fees are set by the board of directors. They would be the ones to ask to justify the fees.

That being said, the AMRT did require a huge investment in time to get it recognized by a few states as the proper certification to work on mold jobs in those states. This gives IICRC registrants with AMRT certification a huige advantage over those who are not certifieid and may not even be legally able to work on some projects. They continue to work with various regulators and stae governments tog et this recoignize din more states. I suspect that is one of the key reason that certification costs more.

Being in restoration, I frequently saw IICRC promoted to insurance companies and adjusters. I have also seen ads promoting IICRC cleaners in magazines like Better Homes and Gardens. Maybe you don't see the ads because they are not targeted to carpet cleaners but to those who might use the services.

When I owned a certified firm, I would get press releases a couple times each year from a company hired by IICRC to write these. I always sent them to the local newspapers and trhey got published as articles that helped promoting certified firms. I assume IICRC still produces these press releases.

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Scott W up here when the general contractors jumped into the game it seems the insurance cos. forgot about the certified firms.Today the insurance cos. want rip out and replace rather than restoration they all say they do not want mold. Just like clo2 has removed negative air machines from mold remedeation

alexus

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2014
Real Name
Aleksandr Davidov
I paid for my certification 3 years ago and still not receive, ripoff it's what I think

JandJ Cleaning

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
David L Phillips
I have been certified for many years also. Last year I received a mold job and it will more than make up for the fees I've been paying. But until then other than the knowledge I've acquired my certificates haven't done a thing me me. Think I might look into TMF just for fun

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Scott W up here when the general contractors jumped into the game it seems the insurance cos. forgot about the certified firms.Today the insurance cos. want rip out and replace rather than restoration they all say they do not want mold. Just like clo2 has removed negative air machines from mold remedeation
Peter that is what is going on in Texas too,, the General Contractors flock like flies to rip out everything they can,,, I do mostly property management and nearly 100 % of my restoration jobs come from them,, I paid to be educated many moons ago and I stopped repaying for a cert I paid for for the first time because I thought it was useless to do so,,, but I think every owner needs to look at his business and see if he can or cannot benefit from keeping the cert alive.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Dropped my certification four years after getting it. Didn't take long to realize the money didn't do anything to further my business. Having said that I do believe the classes have value. But to me it was like paying for the same thing every year.

Reactions: Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Elite769

Jul 20, 2016
Real Name
Shane
I have been certified with the IICRC now for over 20 years. My company is a certified firm and I send ALL of my techs to get certified. Im getting sick to my stomach on how they are charging the fees. I have 16 certificantion currently and Master certified. Just got my bill a week ago and the IICRC wants $12.00 for my master cert, ok!, $60 for 5 or more certs ok! BUT they want $72.00 additionally for my AMRT (mold) cert!!!!! So I called to ask why, they had no answers. From the information i got from them is the entire staff has only been there for alittle over 6 months. I asked for a meeting with the president of the IICRC Richard Green. That meeting took place a week later and he had no answers. I was told by Mr. Green to contact the previous staff to answer my question. I infomed Mr. green this is his responsibility to understand the IICRC fees and be able to justifie them. At this point he required me to e-mail this request in writing for him to get me the answer to these simple question. Which i did. WOW !!! We are the ones paying all the fees, promoting the IICRC to the Public and educating the our clients. When was the last time you ever saw a advertisement for the IICRC anywhere? I never have, not even in a flooring store. SO MY QUESTION TO YOU. IS IT TIME TO LET THE IICRC GO?
I know exactly what you mean. I laugh when they say Non Profit. When times were bad I stopped paying for company dues and my own dues. When Times were tough I saw how sympathetic IICRC about the cost of running carpet cleaning business and feeding your family. I called to see what form I would need to get my individual certification. The first requirement is I have to pay my dues going back to 2011, even though I never took advantage of having the certification I have to pay them for 6 years of yearly fees. The whole IICRC has become a money hungry, Greedy thing. I refuse to give them 1 cent, not because of the amount but the principal. They should be happy that companies want Tobe certified, instead they see an opportunity to steal from companies. I would be really interested in seeing their non profit books, cause one thing is for sure they dont care about my business profits. Best luck to, and appreciate you speaking out.