If you're not color sealing, you're missing out on easy $ and ecstatic customers | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

If you're not color sealing, you're missing out on easy $ and ecstatic customers

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I am with you. I feel color sealing is a poor mans way of covering up what they can't or don't know how to remove. Recently did a large job and all the color seal came right off and the dirt they painted over did to. Client had her tile cleaned in November and it was getting worse and worse each time she mopped. She couldn't figure out what was going on and when I told her it was mopping off there "paint" she didn't believe me. Her jaw hit the floor when I fired up and hit it with Grout Master, 1800psi and 280 degrees. Only place color seal didn't come off easy is along the edges where grout must have been clean in the first place and sealer bonded better. She now thinks I am a hero. I informed her it was just that the previous cleaner set the bar so low. She paid almost 1k for the hack job. I only charged her $450 to throw on my cape and save the day.

I’m a proponent of color seal if it’s a quality product and most if all of prep done correctly. Take painting a car for instance. If you take a car and have it painted and the paint comes off. Is it not the paint and the person & prep?

Reactions: ACP

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
If you can paint exterior surfaces, have them sit in the rain for years, power wash them etc.... there is no reason why you cannot color seal Grout.

Good prep and a good product is needed. Of course if you blast it with 1200psi some is going to come off, just like paint on siding.

When you sell a color seal job make sure you are their go to company when it's time to clean it again.

Reactions: rob allen

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I’m a proponent of color seal if it’s a quality product and most if all of prep done correctly. Take painting a car for instance. If you take a car and have it painted and the paint comes off. Is it not the paint and the person & prep?
What product are you using? I've been interested for years. I need something to offer when all else fails.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What product are you using? I've been interested for years. I need something to offer when all else fails.

We are in process making a color seal line kit.

Reactions: brian3180

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Color clad and modern stone imo are the 2 best available right now.

Color clad can be mixed on site to match any color Grout

Steam It.

Aug 24, 2008
New Braunfels
Real Name
Don Heto
So how in the Hell do you clean it in the future? And I mean actually do a good job with out removing color/paint? You can’t actually sanitize with true steam with out it coming off. I have been tile cleaning for over 15 years now and can only think of a few times where the grout would even need to be painted after I am done cleaning. But honestly how do you clean it after it is sealed without it coming off? I just declined two bath rooms because they were color sealed.

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
So how in the Hell do you clean it in the future? And I mean actually do a good job with out removing color/paint? You can’t actually sanitize with true steam with out it coming off. I have been tile cleaning for over 15 years now and can only think of a few times where the grout would even need to be painted after I am done cleaning. But honestly how do you clean it after it is sealed without it coming off? I just declined two bath rooms because they were color sealed.
I have same question. Shower they put in my house last year they are going to "grout paint" cause color don't match. . . I believe they used different grout when filling holes in original grout job. Installer says grout inconsistent cause of hard water and can never have an even color in our area. Installer swears it wont come off even with heat/pressure.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If its properly applied then you can clean it with HWE just fine. No need for high pressure.
I was leary of color sealing too, but I've learned it's a great option for stained or discolored grout.

If the homeowner has used a very strong bleach solution then the grout can be all jacked up.
Or if a repair was made and the color doesn't match.

It's not my go to option out of the box but occasionally it's a good solution.

I will color seal sanded grout walls in showers no problem.

Shower floors I either put in a new floor or remove the old grout and install epoxy grout.