Featured - If you were starting a carpet cleaning business today | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Featured If you were starting a carpet cleaning business today

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What would you do or not do differently? What method? What equipment? How large? What trucks?

Prowler

Aug 3, 2014
Corpus Christi
www.DoctorSteemer.com
Real Name
Mr. Harrison
Business Location
United States
Depends on the budget. If poor, start at the bottom. If have money, start at the top. A friend of mine never cleaned carpet before but had money. Started with 5 new truck mounts and lots of commercials an advertising. Me being poor as dirt, started with a pawn shop bought vacuum cleaner and a Electrolux shampooer. So starting out again would depend on my budget. I think I started right for my dirt poor budget.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
exactly what I am doing now.

Owner operator, Chev 1 ton extended van, Hydramaster Titan 575 with water pond and softener. Brush Pro 17 for residential (with a HOST machine for steps) and Brush Pro 20 for commercial with Zipper. SS Upholstery tool

Went through being a multi truck/water and fire restoration experience but O/O just fits me best.

Only thing I would change is that I would have charged more in my earlier years.

Jesse370ss

May 26, 2021
Real Name
Jesse Grant
I am in the process of buying a fully Equipped 2018 GMC Box truck with Installed 370ss (1500 hours), 90gal fresh water tank. Multiple wands and accessories. I am very new to the Carpet cleaning industry but have been working for the last 4 months learning the Equipment and how to clean. The person I am working for is retiring and wants me to buy his Equipment.
Im 29 years old and a quick learner
you guys think this is a good investment?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
need more details/pictures.

For starters...
How old is the business?
Before you working for him, did he have someone else work for him or did he do all the work himself?
Is he putting a price on the business or just the equipment?
Annual sales for the last 3 years.
Annual profit for the last 3 years.

Prowler

Aug 3, 2014
Corpus Christi
www.DoctorSteemer.com
Real Name
Mr. Harrison
Business Location
United States
I am in the process of buying a fully Equipped 2018 GMC Box truck with Installed 370ss (1500 hours), 90gal fresh water tank. Multiple wands and accessories. I am very new to the Carpet cleaning industry but have been working for the last 4 months learning the Equipment and how to clean. The person I am working for is retiring and wants me to buy his Equipment.
Im 29 years old and a quick learner
you guys think this is a good investment?
If u can afford it and like cleaning carpets then, go for it.

Jesse370ss

May 26, 2021
Real Name
Jesse Grant
need more details/pictures.

For starters...
How old is the business?
Before you working for him, did he have someone else work for him or did he do all the work himself?
Is he putting a price on the business or just the equipment?
Annual sales for the last 3 years.
Annual profit for the last 3 years.
The business has been running Since 1985 with little to no Competition in my small town. Single owner entire time. In the last 5 years he has had 1 employee doing most of the work. The past 4 Months I took over for that previous Employee and am now doing Carpets and Air ducts confidently on my own. The annual sales for the last 3 years are an Average of 150k per year profit has been over 75k on Average per year. I made a 15 page business plan going over every aspect of running this small business in my small town. He is only putting a price on the Equipment not the business. I will be starting my own business with his Equipment. I have gone through the steps in getting a business loan and it looks like it's going to happen. I am very excited to begin the journey of professional cleaning and want to become a member of this community.
More pictures of the equipment below.

Attachments

• 20210614_092756.jpg
    20210614_092756.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210614_092803.jpg
    20210614_092803.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210614_092833.jpg
    20210614_092833.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210614_092829.jpg
    20210614_092829.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210614_092819.jpg
    20210614_092819.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210614_092917.jpg
    20210614_092917.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210614_092854.jpg
    20210614_092854.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Prowler

Prowler

Aug 3, 2014
Corpus Christi
www.DoctorSteemer.com
Real Name
Mr. Harrison
Business Location
United States
The business has been running Since 1985 with little to no Competition in my small town. Single owner entire time. In the last 5 years he has had 1 employee doing most of the work. The past 4 Months I took over for that previous Employee and am now doing Carpets and Air ducts confidently on my own. The annual sales for the last 3 years are an Average of 150k per year profit has been over 75k on Average per year. I made a 15 page business plan going over every aspect of running this small business in my small town. He is only putting a price on the Equipment not the business. I will be starting my own business with his Equipment. I have gone through the steps in getting a business loan and it looks like it's going to happen. I am very excited to begin the journey of professional cleaning and want to become a member of this community.
More pictures of the equipment below.
If this man is retiring are you going to get all his customers and get to keep the name of the business ? If not , why ?

Jesse370ss

May 26, 2021
Real Name
Jesse Grant
If this man is retiring are you going to get all his customers and get to keep the name of the business ? If not , why ?
The name of the business is Currently Kevin's Carpet Cleaning we are only switching the name into Mine Jesse's. His answering machine will have a message referring them to me with my new Phone number. I have gotten to know alot of customers who assure me I did a great job and they will call me once again when it's my business. I am planning to Advertise on social media the fact that Kevin's Carpet Cleaning is now Jesse's. This Is the only Truckmount in city itself. The other closest companies are around 1 hour - 2 hours away. So I belive with his referrals and my online and in-person Advertising I can do very well. What do you think?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Why not just keep the name?
There's a multi truck cleaner here in town called Steve's.
Pretty sure no one expects the techs name to be Steve, nor the gal answering the phone.
Once the transition is settled down, then you can change the name to small town carpet cleaning.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Jesse370ss

May 26, 2021
Real Name
Jesse Grant
Why not just keep the name?
There's a multi truck cleaner here in town called Steve's.
Pretty sure no one expects the techs name to be Steve, nor the gal answering the phone.
Once the transition is settled down, then you can change the name to small town carpet cleaning.
At first I did want to do just that but after taking more time to consider we've decided that changing the name is what's in our best interests. The current owner is paying to have my name replace his on the Truck as well as the Phone number and Email. I'm happy considering I get to make my own legacy and seeing as how the transition is actually going to boost business I believe. With grand opening Advertising and myself being well known in my community no one is doubting how busy I will be. I already have jobs booked for further into this summer. And it's a One man Operation. My wife taking some phone calls and me doing all the work. It's going to be more then enough to keep me working Fulltime for better money then I was making I believe. There is no need to keep an unrelated Name. And buying the Equipment to start my own business is much better because I don't have to worry about any prior liabilities or debts.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
The name of the business is Currently Kevin's Carpet Cleaning we are only switching the name into Mine Jesse's. His answering machine will have a message referring them to me with my new Phone number. I have gotten to know alot of customers who assure me I did a great job and they will call me once again when it's my business. I am planning to Advertise on social media the fact that Kevin's Carpet Cleaning is now Jesse's. This Is the only Truckmount in city itself. The other closest companies are around 1 hour - 2 hours away. So I belive with his referrals and my online and in-person Advertising I can do very well. What do you think?

His “goodwill” unfortunately for you both, is worth little.
Worth even less changing the biz name to yours.
Unless you take it over and run it for a few years as Kevin’s until everyone knows, then you only have a sight advantage over starting scratch.
You need to take his phone number.
He can get a new one if he’s selling his biz.
You can’t count on anything from his past benefiting you going forward...
Hopefully it all rolls along seamlessly for you mate, but that’s all you can do is hope

Reactions: SkylinePrints

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Personally I think it its a small town and he's retiring, you should simply start your own. It will be cheaper and you can make a name for yourself.

Reactions: Jesse370ss

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
As long as you keep his name for a while & take his phone number that way you can carry on his efforts, you both get the warm feeling(not really worth anything) of the “he taught me everything/I taught that kid and he successfully took over my business and looks after my equipment right, when I retired and it’s still running today” / proper handover-get him to sign he won’t get back into cleanjng biz for 10years...

Otherwise anytime between now and 5+years down the track, will he still hand the number on
Will he get restless with all the customers still ringing him and he realises he’s giving all that money away....and get back in the biz...
Will he just stop referring people and say he’s closed...Who knows....that’s the point

Jesse370ss

May 26, 2021
Real Name
Jesse Grant
As long as you keep his name for a while & take his phone number that way you can carry on his efforts, you both get the warm feeling(not really worth anything) of the “he taught me everything/I taught that kid and he successfully took over my business and looks after my equipment right, when I retired and it’s still running today” / proper handover-get him to sign he won’t get back into cleanjng biz for 10years...

Otherwise anytime between now and 5+years down the track, will he still hand the number on
Will he get restless with all the customers still ringing him and he realises he’s giving all that money away....and get back in the biz...
Will he just stop referring people and say he’s closed...Who knows....that’s the point
The situation is a bit different it's hard to describe my reasons. It is actually part of the Contract with the Business Loan that he dose not start any related business or try and Compete with me for the next 10 years. He has some other business that he runs as well. All with the same phone number. He is not selling his business just the Carpet/Duct Cleaning truck. He is slowly in the faze of retirement but not quite there yet. But had no reliable employee to run the Carpet truck and wants me to start my own business with it. I'm happy considering I get to make my own legacy and seeing as how the transition is actually going to boost business I believe. With grand opening Advertising and myself being well known in my community no one is doubting how busy I will be. I already have jobs booked for further into this summer. And it's a One man Operation. My wife taking some phone calls and me doing all the work. It's going to be more then enough to keep me working Fulltime for better money then I was making I believe. There is no need to keep an unrelated Name. And buying the Equipment to start my own business is much better because I don't have to worry about any prior liabilities or debts.