If you had one year to start a business.... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

If you had one year to start a business....

ANDY2012

May 16, 2012
Real Name
ANDY PEREZ
Business Location
United States
Hey guys so I am currently working my tail off 7 days a week clamming for cash to help pay for my business. I plan to start the following spring and I was wondering what you would do in order if you were in my position? I know this is a crazy question but I am trying to put together a written business plan and I am trying to figure out what to do first? Is it to get certified in every type of floor cleaning by the iicrc first? Business name? llc? I have been researching each morning and every night of every day to do this thing right. I am even thinking of taking some local small business and marketing classes to help. Thank you guys so much without this forum I cant imagine how I would obtain the amount of information I have already!

I would listen to all the great advise others have offer.

If you are in a situation that you can't do it full time then start part time .Thats how I got my feet wet.

1. Don't know were you are located but, ask for a ride along. Work with another professional carpet cleaner.

2. As already pointed out buy a truck mount if budget is there if not start with a good portable and a 175 great for agitation . I still got mine. you will always need one if you stay in the business.

3. As already pointed clean friends and family for free while you get to learn .

4. marketing well this will be a long post , read what others our doing in truck mounts forum , what wokrks for me may not work for you. You will have to try what works best for you in your area,.( post cards , flyers , email marketing, Facebook, next-door, youtube etc...)

But the best I've found word of mouth have business card with you at all time.

5. Classes hell yeah I'm in my 5 year and I still go theres always something new to learn.

Great way to meat others and ask question .

Hope this help.

Thanks

Reactions: JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
thank you guys so much I really appreciate it! I want to start by taking the online classes here at tmf then some iicrc classes if I can find them locally. Those manuals are great I will read every one of them and I want to invest in a truck mount. I don't know what it is but I have always wanted one lol. I used to work for sears cleaning carpets years ago and I have done a fair amount of work with a portable as well. The difference in water extraction, heat, and power is unbelievable. I figure once I have the equipment down the marketing and sales will be entirely on my shoulders. I am extremely motivated and I believe that by networking and just plain getting out there in person I will be able to stir up enough business. If I have the equipment paid off I wont have to nickel and dime a job to make a payment and I can set prices and build a business off of customers that pay for my professionalism and the work that follows. I am also considering taking a marketing and small business evening class at the local community college as well. I think if I take this step by step and learn as much as I possibly can before actually purchasing the equipment I will have a better business plan put together with a stronger marketing strategy and I can launch this thing hopefully full time and leave the cold clams to rest at the bottom of the sea. I also have to get in touch with other local businesses in my area and find out what types of marketing have worked for them.

Reactions: BROOMYS

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Yea i agree bro
We all started with portables at least most of us...
Buy a used one....1000-2000$
But definetley get a 175 buffer.....you will always use it even with a TM
Give this some time...
Even if you went fulltime it would take 2-3 years to get it off the ground.....
Peace
My buffer i picked up at the pawn shop has made me more money than any other tool i have. I got the buffer for $125. It has made tens of thousands of dollars for me.

Reactions: lg2121 and BROOMYS

BROOMYS

Apr 30, 2018
Real Name
Angelo Batts
Yea i agree bro
We all started with portables at least most of us...
Buy a used one....1000-2000$
But definetley get a 175 buffer.....you will always use it even with a TM
Give this some time...
Even if you went fulltime it would take 2-3 years to get it off the ground.....
Peace
My buffer i picked up at the pawn shop has made me more money than any other tool i have. I got the buffer for $125. It has made tens of thousands of dollars for me.

Agree!

BROOMYS

Apr 30, 2018
Real Name
Angelo Batts
thank you guys so much I really appreciate it! I want to start by taking the online classes here at tmf then some iicrc classes if I can find them locally. Those manuals are great I will read every one of them and I want to invest in a truck mount. I don't know what it is but I have always wanted one lol. I used to work for sears cleaning carpets years ago and I have done a fair amount of work with a portable as well. The difference in water extraction, heat, and power is unbelievable. I figure once I have the equipment down the marketing and sales will be entirely on my shoulders. I am extremely motivated and I believe that by networking and just plain getting out there in person I will be able to stir up enough business. If I have the equipment paid off I wont have to nickel and dime a job to make a payment and I can set prices and build a business off of customers that pay for my professionalism and the work that follows. I am also considering taking a marketing and small business evening class at the local community college as well. I think if I take this step by step and learn as much as I possibly can before actually purchasing the equipment I will have a better business plan put together with a stronger marketing strategy and I can launch this thing hopefully full time and leave the cold clams to rest at the bottom of the sea. I also have to get in touch with other local businesses in my area and find out what types of marketing have worked for them.

Sounds like you have the right attitude and plan.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
before anything make sure its really the business you want to be in... and research your particular market first.. check how much competition there is.

carpet cleaning in general is a highly saturated market, it can be a great business and is for me but at the same time being completely honest there are other markets that are far less saturated.

also keep in mind this is a business where your trading your time for money, your manual labor for money and thats the way it will be until you scale to the point of not being on the truck anymore.

ideally you dont want to be the one with the shovel in your hand too long, its a simple business and should not be over thought but its also hard on your body and you only have 1 body.

Reactions: BROOMYS

ChrisTucker

Sep 4, 2020
Illinois Chicago
Real Name
Christopher Tucker
If I had one year to start a business it would be obvious that I would not even think about it, but I'll do it.
I have already opened my own business and I can be proud of it.
It was complicated at first and you should not think that everything is so simple because to have beautiful results you have to work hard and nothing comes naturally.
I was very lucky to find https://www.businessupside.com/ from where I always took tips and tricks for business and followed news from the business world. This fact developed me enormously and prepared me for several situations which are very important.