If you had one year to start a business.... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

If you had one year to start a business....

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
Hey guys so I am currently working my tail off 7 days a week clamming for cash to help pay for my business. I plan to start the following spring and I was wondering what you would do in order if you were in my position? I know this is a crazy question but I am trying to put together a written business plan and I am trying to figure out what to do first? Is it to get certified in every type of floor cleaning by the iicrc first? Business name? llc? I have been researching each morning and every night of every day to do this thing right. I am even thinking of taking some local small business and marketing classes to help. Thank you guys so much without this forum I cant imagine how I would obtain the amount of information I have already!

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
The indispensable first step to getting what you want out of life is this : decide what you want .
Ben Stein
You're " overthinking " . You already know WHAT you want .
The business has to have a name .
Decide what " type " of business it should be tax wise .
Sole proprietor, LLC etc .
If you own any assets......... Trains , planes , automobiles , home , etc. make it an LLC . An accountant can set you up .
Insurance . Don't " fudge " this up . Go to a BROKER and get at least a million in coverage . Standard contractors policy .
Open a separate business account at a bank , credit union for the business . Mine is a local credit union . Keep the money separate from household income from a job or spouse income .
Invoices and a standard cleaning contract . Invoices are easy and so many choices online ....... Take your pick . Mine already includes a " disclaimer " for dry times , practices , slip and fall etc . Yours should too. Contract from an attorney or you may be able to find one online . Maybe someone else here can help . Business cards . Yours or " stock design . Vista Print / OR another company .
Education . You'll get " opinions " on this . Lots of choices including Rob's school and videos . To learn a lot for no money be aware that https://shop.truckmountforums.com has their IICRC manuals for Carpet Cleaning Tech and also Upholstery Cleaning Tech on their site under ...... Education . They can be read when you have time .
Tile , Interlink has the basic procedure for this in their catalog along with a selection of chems etc. They also do this for
cleaning carpet and upholstery .
Marketing . Again , lots of information here and Rob covers this in his school .
Well, that's a start .
All the Best, Ed

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
had no option i started after a couple wks research. was full time in 6mos.

in life i tend too lean towards the sink or swim approach. we just jump in and give it everything.

First decide if you are gonna start partime for a few years....
Are go fulltime ....??????

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
My advice is get all the ground work started now.
Set up the business entity.
Get website going
Study marketing
Buy a basic set up and start p/t
You can earn more cleaning for yourself than any job will pay you.
Before long you'll be ready to jump in f/t.
I wouldn't worry about certifications yet, no-one cares anyway.
Watch videos, study techniques etc and clean all your friends and family for cheap to get some practice.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Anderson and Mike G . make an excellent observation .
Only you know your financial needs for you and yours .
Speaking of finances . Keep your " investment " as low as possible starting . You don't need EVERY TOY to start and spend a ton of money . A little advice from Mark Cuban.
" Only a fool borrows money to start a business ".
All the Best, Ed

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Speaking of finances . Keep your " investment " as low as possible starting . You don't need EVERY TOY to start and spend a ton of money . A little advice from Mark Cuban.
All the Best, Ed
Mark Cuban is a douche. Rich, but still a douche.
I would take out a start up loan. Keep it lean and get what you need and you'll make the payments with only one or two jobs per month.
There is bad debt and good debt.
A business loan that generates income or positive ROI is good debt.
Buying crap on credit cards is bad debt.
My vehicle was an off lease fleet FedEx van at 1.75% from my credit union.
$250 a month.
TM and tools was higher at 6% $350 a month.
Auto insurance $175
Average job, $500...so 2 jobs and I'm earning income with a nice set up.

Reactions: JustSomeDude

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Lol . We see Cuban the same way . Point he's trying to make that's valid is most start ups fail . Agree on the credit card debt as well . To use them as a convenient method of payment is fine BUT pay the bill IN FULL when it comes in .
I carry no debt for anything nor does my business .
All the Best, Ed

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
The indispensable first step to getting what you want out of life is this : decide what you want .
Ben Stein
You're " overthinking " . You already know WHAT you want .
The business has to have a name .
Decide what " type " of business it should be tax wise .
Sole proprietor, LLC etc .
If you own any assets......... Trains , planes , automobiles , home , etc. make it an LLC . An accountant can set you up .
Insurance . Don't " fudge " this up . Go to a BROKER and get at least a million in coverage . Standard contractors policy .
Open a separate business account at a bank , credit union for the business . Mine is a local credit union . Keep the money separate from household income from a job or spouse income .
Invoices and a standard cleaning contract . Invoices are easy and so many choices online ....... Take your pick . Mine already includes a " disclaimer " for dry times , practices , slip and fall etc . Yours should too. Contract from an attorney or you may be able to find one online . Maybe someone else here can help . Business cards . Yours or " stock design . Vista Print / OR another company .
Education . You'll get " opinions " on this . Lots of choices including Rob's school and videos . To learn a lot for no money be aware that https://shop.truckmountforums.com has their IICRC manuals for Carpet Cleaning Tech and also Upholstery Cleaning Tech on their site under ...... Education . They can be read when you have time .
Tile , Interlink has the basic procedure for this in their catalog along with a selection of chems etc. They also do this for
cleaning carpet and upholstery .
Marketing . Again , lots of information here and Rob covers this in his school .
Well, that's a start .
All the Best, Ed

hey thanks a lot for the post Ed! I really appreciate it I am going to pin this on the wall!

Reactions: ANDY2012

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
First decide if you are gonna start partime for a few years....
Are go fulltime ....??????
I think because we have two little kids and I am the main source of income in my household that I am going to clam in the mornings and schedule my jobs on the weekends/and or clean when I get off the water/ or just get a part time job to cover the basics and go at it. Its going to be really hard not to want to go full time in the beginning however I have to make the transition as smooth as possible. I also want to put a lot of money into the right marketing strategy. I have to be available to answer the phone when it rings and I'm not sure I can do that on a boat so this is also something I really have to put a lot of thought into. What did you guys do?

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
Are you starting Spring of 2018 or 2019?
I think I am going to need to start spring 2019 financially I would be ready sometime after this upcoming summer however I want to make sure whatever money I put into my marketing strategy goes into the most cost effective time of the season.

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
All the Best, Ed
oooo man that is an awesome quote! I thought about borrowing money from a bank but I really don't want to go into business in debt! If I stick to my savings plan I will start with a used van and a good truck mount. I have no problem rocking a wand instead of a rotovac to begin with.

Reactions: Briggs

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Hey guys so I am currently working my tail off 7 days a week clamming for cash to help pay for my business. I plan to start the following spring and I was wondering what you would do in order if you were in my position? I know this is a crazy question but I am trying to put together a written business plan and I am trying to figure out what to do first? Is it to get certified in every type of floor cleaning by the iicrc first? Business name? llc? I have been researching each morning and every night of every day to do this thing right. I am even thinking of taking some local small business and marketing classes to help. Thank you guys so much without this forum I cant imagine how I would obtain the amount of information I have already!
Dude, honestly, do not overthink it. It's a carpet cleaning! Anybody can do it( no offense, guys). Looks to me that you're over qualified( on mental level) for this kind of job. No matter how many hours you spend on this ,otherwise useful platform, which TMF really is, you have to decide on your own. It's nice to get in the vast pool of info and broaden your horizon, while you swim in it, but you have to pull the plug sooner than later. Get your yourself complete setup - used portable unit with hoses, used oreck orbiter, upholstery tool, some chemistry to start with. Your relatives, relatives friends, their friends( you see, where Am I going , right?) are your source of big learning curve. With a help of dopamine, serotonin and adrenaline( not in exact order) in your body, you'll be just fine. If you get used portable, make sure wiring is
legit( under 10 years) rest of it is interchangeable. I hope you choose stronger unit ( 0-500 psi, dual 3 stage, under or around 90 lbs) Even if you had to replace both vacs and head for the pump, it'll cost you about $ 300, but if you have some money saved up, go with a new unit( list is endless). Check with your county on business license requirements, with some states if you're self proprietor, you don't need one. You can start as DBA - under fictitious business name. Application will cost you $10-$20 and another $80 for publishing a Certificate of registration in local newspaper for 15 to 30 days, it varies by state and county. After that ask Geico for a bus. liability insurance ( you can always change it later for some fancy insurance) and start making some moneyyy. Take one or two weeks off from clam chowder industry and see how it feels. You'll be surprised to see you ROI in less than 1-2 months($2K invested), unless you going to hide from customers. Rather than asking general questions, ask anyone of your choice via PM( private mail- start conversation folder). Guarantee you'll get answers and you would be able to start to operate business before spring time, guarantee.If I was a rookie< I would ask Jeff @ jtsunbrite. He's old school, yet straight shooter and pragmatic. Also Goomer is the man.
Probably you already heard all that and read it as well and yet, you're still clamming.....

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
Dude, honestly, do not overthink it. It's a carpet cleaning! Anybody can do it( no offense, guys). Looks to me that you're over qualified( on mental level) for this kind of job. No matter how many hours you spend on this ,otherwise useful platform, which TMF really is, you have to decide on your own. It's nice to get in the vast pool of info and broaden your horizon, while you swim in it, but you have to pull the plug sooner than later. Get your yourself complete setup - used portable unit with hoses, used oreck orbiter, upholstery tool, some chemistry to start with. Your relatives, relatives friends, their friends( you see, where Am I going , right?) are your source of big learning curve. With a help of dopamine, serotonin and adrenaline( not in exact order) in your body, you'll be just fine. If you get used portable, make sure wiring is
legit( under 10 years) rest of it is interchangeable. I hope you choose stronger unit ( 0-500 psi, dual 3 stage, under or around 90 lbs) Even if you had to replace both vacs and head for the pump, it'll cost you about $ 300, but if you have some money saved up, go with a new unit( list is endless). Check with your county on business license requirements, with some states if you're self proprietor, you don't need one. You can start as DBA - under fictitious business name. Application will cost you $10-$20 and another $80 for publishing a Certificate of registration in local newspaper for 15 to 30 days, it varies by state and county. After that ask Geico for a bus. liability insurance ( you can always change it later for some fancy insurance) and start making some moneyyy. Take one or two weeks off from clam chowder industry and see how it feels. You'll be surprised to see you ROI in less than 1-2 months($2K invested), unless you going to hide from customers. Rather than asking general questions, ask anyone of your choice via PM( private mail- start conversation folder). Guarantee you'll get answers and you would be able to start to operate business before spring time, guarantee.If I was a rookie< I would ask Jeff @ jtsunbrite. He's old school, yet straight shooter and pragmatic. Also Goomer is the man.
Probably you already heard all that and read it as well and yet, you're still clamming.....

Yea man I have to agree with you! lol As I respond to this post at 4 in the am getting ready to hit the water I have to ask myself why I'm even still doing this. I guess because I wanted to start with a truck mount over a portable in the beginning. Maybe I would be better off working my way from a portable up to a truck mount instead. I appreciate the response and I am going to put a lot of thought into my marketing strategy. Thanks again

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Yea man I have to agree with you! lol As I respond to this post at 4 in the am getting ready to hit the water I have to ask myself why I'm even still doing this. I guess because I wanted to start with a truck mount over a portable in the beginning. Maybe I would be better off working my way from a portable up to a truck mount instead. I appreciate the response and I am going to put a lot of thought into my marketing strategy. Thanks again
Keep clamming, maybe you'll find gold fish, When you do, ask for a truckmount, nice one too. Keep us posted. We all believe that you'll succeed.

Reactions: JustSomeDude

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Yea i agree bro
We all started with portables at least most of us...
Buy a used one....1000-2000$
But definetley get a 175 buffer.....you will always use it even with a TM
Give this some time...
Even if you went fulltime it would take 2-3 years to get it off the ground.....
Peace

Reactions: ANDY2012

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I think because we have two little kids and I am the main source of income in my household that I am going to clam in the mornings and schedule my jobs on the weekends/and or clean when I get off the water/ or just get a part time job to cover the basics and go at it. Its going to be really hard not to want to go full time in the beginning however I have to make the transition as smooth as possible. I also want to put a lot of money into the right marketing strategy. I have to be available to answer the phone when it rings and I'm not sure I can do that on a boat so this is also something I really have to put a lot of thought into. What did you guys do?

Ask @ANDY2012 about this. He did the same thing not too long ago, and with great results. He is a true joy to talk to, and he's one of the greater successes in our area. (y)