I would like help growing my business, or at least know why it didn't work. Unbelievable low revenues with no growth.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I live in a small area, with tiny population. Most all are seasonal & second home owners. My local ads produce very little. I have to advertise where the people that own the homes actually live 3-4 hrs away. Investigate advertising seriously. I’ve made a few mistakes that cost me a ton after a sales pitch I got.
Market yourself differently then the competition. Always market yourself as first rate. Never lie, but don’t advertise as a coupon cleaner ever. Try to be the anti coupon cleaner when people want a true pro.
As far as growth, we had a foot in the door cleaning homes, second homes, air bnb and VRBOs. I’ve only ever had 4 calls from commercial. One I lost, too high a bid. And one large chain store we start in 2 weeks.
Networking got those jobs but cost me nothing to get. Handing out cards, taking to managers and such helps. Between ads and networking it’s worked “so far”. I put up my business cards everywhere I can. I only a few jobs from them but for the price of cards it worth putting up dozens a day.
You can also contact really busy companies near you and ask for overflow work. They may view you as a help verses competition.
I like putting cards up at restaurants that are frequented by season home owners in nice neighborhoods.
If your not “excited” about what you do then people won’t believe in you.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Next-door has worked great for me!
I have an email template that I send to every customer along with their attached paid invoice.
I ask for facebook, google and next-door reviews, *important* with an HTML link for each.

Super easy, click on the link and it takes you straight to the relevant webpage.

I don't pay for Google adwords but I have seen my page steadily climb the ranking, especially when people search for "best" floor cleaning.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
diversify...commercial, tile, upholstery, .....

get commercial with repeat business....motels, hotels, resturants, apartments.....

i have been doing motels the last few years and learned to tweek my method where i can still make 75$ an hour...they all know each other..in my area

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Dont feel bad, I completely understand. I was there once too.

Honestly ( and I have said this before)
1. I was not trusting the Lord 100%
2. I was doing the business as a part time.

once I trusted the Lord and gave him all my worries and doubts I then
took the business 100% and things started to change year after year and after year

I think that if you are doing this part time, dont invest into marketing, dont spend a lot of money.
if you continue to do the business as a part time it will only be side money.

If you really want to increase your revenue then you will have to invest more of yourself into the business. If the business gets going and brings in better revenue I am sure youll leave you full time job, or so I think thats the mentality correct?

just remember that you cannot have 2 masters and please them both, its one or the other.

I apologize if I appear to be rude or mean ( because Im truly not trying to be)

Dont spend too much on tools or investing because the business itself is barley floating on its own. You really should be spending as little as possible until you are ready to invest more of your self into the business

TheLB79

Nov 8, 2018
Real Name
RR Schill
I work really hard to be the kind of professional I hope would show up at my parents house.

I give people a half hour time window, if something comes up & I will be late, I call or text.

I never wear shorts, hoodies or jeans. I wear Cintas work pants, work shirt & boots.

When giving an estimate over the phone, I give a price range, with the low end being what I think it will be. No low ball price to get in the door.

Every new customer gets a hand shake & a card when I arrive. Every customer get a few cards with their receipt.

I use professionally printed receipts with all of my info & their info, including when I suggest their next cleaning. Every receipt is hole punched & put in a binder.

I accept all cards using the Square App plus Venmo & PayPal

Dont be afraid to share your knowledge, a lot of people are curious about the process, machine, equipment, etc.

Most people are proud of their house, complement it, the neighborhood, share your knowledge of the area.

Repeat customers are the lifeblood of a good business. I use professionally printed Postcards to send out reminders. Unless someone is a every 6 month customer, I send out 12, 24 & 36 month reminders.

I dont really spend much on Marketing. I have a website plus Yelp. Referrals are most of my new business.

Know your worth. I'm not the most expensive cleaner in town but also, I'm not the low price leader. I work my ass off & the results show. People are willing to pay for quality. I do a honest job for a honest price.

To that point, if someone is calling around, price shopping, I hardly ever book the job. I give them my best price & stick by it. If someone just wants the cheapest price they can find, they probably aren't going to become a repeat customer anyway.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I work really hard to be the kind of professional I hope would show up at my parents house.

I give people a half hour time window, if something comes up & I will be late, I call or text.

I never wear shorts, hoodies or jeans. I wear Cintas work pants, work shirt & boots.

When giving an estimate over the phone, I give a price range, with the low end being what I think it will be. No low ball price to get in the door.

Every new customer gets a hand shake & a card when I arrive. Every customer get a few cards with their receipt.

I use professionally printed receipts with all of my info & their info, including when I suggest their next cleaning. Every receipt is hole punched & put in a binder.

I accept all cards using the Square App plus Venmo & PayPal

Dont be afraid to share your knowledge, a lot of people are curious about the process, machine, equipment, etc.

Most people are proud of their house, complement it, the neighborhood, share your knowledge of the area.

Repeat customers are the lifeblood of a good business. I use professionally printed Postcards to send out reminders. Unless someone is a every 6 month customer, I send out 12, 24 & 36 month reminders.

I dont really spend much on Marketing. I have a website plus Yelp. Referrals are most of my new business.

Know your worth. I'm not the most expensive cleaner in town but also, I'm not the low price leader. I work my ass off & the results show. People are willing to pay for quality. I do a honest job for a honest price.

To that point, if someone is calling around, price shopping, I hardly ever book the job. I give them my best price & stick by it. If someone just wants the cheapest price they can find, they probably aren't going to become a repeat customer anyway.
Very well said

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I think I have discovered his problem: He does not answer questions when he is looking for help :unsure:
You're not presenting any great solutions either, so give guy some space. TMF is great source of info, but I think NDY needs one on one meeting with someone who can help to put together business plan with emphasis on area in which NDY is operating. General info will cause only more confusion a building frustration from not being " successful" as rest of the guys ...

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
You're not presenting any great solutions either, so give guy some space. TMF is great source of info, but I think NDY needs one on one meeting with someone who can help to put together business plan with emphasis on area in which NDY is operating. General info will cause only more confusion a building frustration from not being " successful" as rest of the guys ...
I hope you realized the post was meant as a joke as I made it because many guys with successful business posted asking questions and offering help but he was not replying to them. The post was a bit of a joke and was made to hopefully nudge him to answer so we can help him more.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
" I've perused these forums since before I even started my business"
that was your first mistake

Most of the guys on the forums are not really telling the truth about the masses of amount of loot they bring in. Their all high class and only rich customers and each time they raise their prices the customers only love them more. LOL

You live in a area with a billion people and million carpet cleaners.

If you have all this free time on your hands time to hit the road start talking to people
passing out business cards, Some very good advice from Todd above some of the best advice.

Restaurants he has some great advice and I would ad a free demo clean. Latter you can pick up the carpets or what not. Once you have the restaurant you offer all the employees discounts for cleaning of their carpets cars motor homes what ever.
There are some that do a million plus but they are the exception to the rule. Nevertheless they exist, even on here. Key is developing the ability to read between the lines of whose BS’ing and whose telling truth.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I hope you realized the post was meant as a joke as I made it because many guys with successful business posted asking questions and offering help but he was not replying to them. The post was a bit of a joke and was made to hopefully nudge him to answer so we can help him more.
You realize that I was responding early in the morning, so you're right...

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
" I've perused these forums since before I even started my business"
that was your first mistake

Most of the guys on the forums are not really telling the truth about the masses of amount of loot they bring in. Their all high class and only rich customers and each time they raise their prices the customers only love them more. LOL

You live in a area with a billion people and million carpet cleaners.

If you have all this free time on your hands time to hit the road start talking to people
passing out business cards, Some very good advice from Todd above some of the best advice.

Restaurants he has some great advice and I would ad a free demo clean. Latter you can pick up the carpets or what not. Once you have the restaurant you offer all the employees discounts for cleaning of their carpets cars motor homes what ever.
Right on the spot with inflated numbers ....

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
There is tremendous wealth disparity in my area. My surrounding areas are Woodland Hills, Calabasas, Bell Canyon, Hidden Hills, then East is Canoga Park, Winnetka, tarzana. I’m right in between wealthy and poor areas and have served people in both areas.
There are different venues we can utilize to build, promote and run our businesses. So many nuances will affect final outcome. Do you think that would be helpful if you" rebrand your self? Just the thought. Sure, you don't want to confuse existing customer base, but it would be exiting to work on new potential customers and new ways.
Sometimes is our personality, which prevents us from reaching higher. Customers like confident ( not too cocky) service man who's opened to embrace their concerns while presenting effective solutions. I see genuine interest from some of our members and in this stage I would recommend more personal approach in order to get feel about key issues, such as demographics, marketing, advertising, social media presence and so on. It's understandable that you're on tight budget, so you can use Vista print to build presentable website and give you efficient tools under $30 a month. You would have a dashboard, where you can add additional informations and manage website on your own.Why don't you check it out and see if that's something you benefit from.
There are relatively new business owners here claiming success from get go, maybe they can give you an idea, how to make " crazy " money with some non traditional approach.
You have to retract your steps, disect existing business model and most importantly, don't give up. Some might say, carpet cleaning is not for everyone, I call baloney. Law school, astrophysics are not for everyone. Anybody can clean carpets, so can you. Just have to find a way.....
If you want to talk more about it send me a PM( start conversation) I'm not an expert, but I'm good listener.....
Start believing in yourself, results and success will come. 100% guaranteed....
Four years don't matter, NOW is what matters most.

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Nathan Yoder
Make sure every job you do get your appearance is very very good, do what ever you can to make sure your van and you are clean and nice looking.. no crazy neck tattoos, no ripped jeans, no holey sweatpants, etc.

you need to be really clean and presentable looking to succeed in this business..
Thank You. I invested in shirts with my logo on it.

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Nathan Yoder
Reopen your Google business page.
You can choose to not have your address listed but they will need an address.
Ask for Google reviews by email after every job.
As your reviews increase you will naturally rank higher on Google.
Get a YouTube channel going.
Post some short videos there.
Put those videos on your website and post on facebook.
If you don't have money then you have to invest time.
I am working with Google again on getting my page reinstated.

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Nathan Yoder
As to reviews and your Google ranking increasing, I am skeptical. That used to work. I currently have two reviews and rank #1. Guys below me have more and less reviews. The ranking is dependent upon the Google algorithm flavor of the day.

As to Nextdoor.com, my experience in my market has been null. I honestly think it is questionable. I had a client refer me last year to her neighbor via Nextdoor. I landed that job. Then slowly I saw my territory of being able to be seen by neighborhoods increase. It began to include neighborhoods and clients I had never serviced. I verified this. My company would become recommended in topics in neighborhoods like pizza parlors, nail salons, caterers. Huh? I had one lady go on Nextdoor upset that Nextdoor claimed she recommended me, which she never did and has never used our services and how did I or Nextdoor get into her account to post such?, in a discussion about kids parties and looking for a face painter and balloon artist. In a little over a year of being on Nextdoor, we have received one job. As I said above originally, every market is different.

Try this; go to a few restaurants during their off peak hours. Don't disturb the manager during lunch or dinner shift. Ask if you can offer a quote to clean their fabric chairs and/or booths. Don't even mention carpet, every cleaner and his brother have already been down that road with him. Be polite and explain how his customers come in to eat and then sit in other diners' mess in their clean clothes. Figure what your production rate will be, know your COG and bid it. You may be surprised to find no other cleaners have asked for his business of cleaning the seating.
I just signed up on Next Door. I just needed to claim the page. They already had my info. Will do with the restaurants. Thanks!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If you have been cleaning for awhile and your job volume and totals are not going up the 1st place I'd look is at you, not some external source.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
bro....some guys may disagree with me....but....
this business is not a sales business it is a service industry.......

If you are looking at the next sales internet fad to sell your business it wont work.....

They buy YOU...they know YOU...they refer others to YOU as a person......
it is all about YOU and your brand not some sales special......

Gotta get out and know people...and do what ever it takes to work......
if you make 50$ an hour it is better than 0$.......

i HAVE HEARD IT ALL IN THIS INDUSTRY ( as follows)
i wont work for less than 200$ an hour???
i wont do a job for less than 500$
i wont do apartments?
i dont do hotels?
i dont do rentals?
i wont move foruniture or clean resturants.......?

believe it or not I actually heard a guy say this:
" I only clean CLEAN CARPET"
in other words he would only clean upscale houses!!!

most all these guys have gone out of business....

bro if you fall into any of these categories...gotta change your mindset...
or go into another career