I wonder what went wrong with this one? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

I wonder what went wrong with this one?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I just got back from cleaning a rental home and found this outside by a side door. :) I don't know how many of these things get tossed every single year, but I'm betting quite a lot. I've told my customers many times it's simply impossible to make a machine that will actually clean your carpets properly and retail it for 1 or 2 hundred bucks. Can't be done, period. These things are pretty much useless for anything other than perhaps spotting or very light upholstery cleaning. I don't think they tend to hold up very well over time either. IMHO they're junk.
20190919_113405.jpg

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Came across to a similar situation, the customer calls me and arranges the date for her mother and perhaps for hers as well they live in the same building, a day before she calls me and says that her machine is fixed now and she cancels her but still keeps her mom's date, so I show up in the morning to clean her mom's place, before I hauled my equipment up she calls and tells me if I have time to do hers as well, I go to her suite first and I saw a similar junk that she only used it few times and sent it to repairs and just got it repaired and she is about to use it but still doesn't work lol she tossed it to the garbage when she saw the results with my high end mytee portable for a reasonable price, I have earned myself 2 customers in one building.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Came across to a similar situation, the customer calls me and arranges the date for her mother and perhaps for hers as well they live in the same building, a day before she calls me and says that her machine is fixed now and she cancels her but still keeps her mom's date, so I show up in the morning to clean her mom's place, before I hauled my equipment up she calls and tells me if I have time to do hers as well, I go to her suite first and I saw a similar junk that she only used it few times and sent it to repairs and just got it repaired and she is about to use it but still doesn't work lol she tossed it to the garbage when she saw the results with my high end mytee portable for a reasonable price, I have earned myself 2 customers in one building.
I had a customer not that long ago who had been using a machine similar to the one above to try and clean her carpets herself. She's never been a very good customer although she's a super nice lady. I don't count on her calling regularly to clean her carpet. Just won't happen. The machine was leaving so much moisture behind it was getting soaked into the backing a pad. Over time, of course, it began to stink up the whole house. She wound up replacing the carpet in her basement den because of it. So yeah, that little machine really saved her some money didn't it? I had another new customer more recently who had done the same basic thing to the carpet in her daughter's bedroom. I was able to solve that problem for her so she didn't have to replace the carpet. I try to educate my customers on this. Some listen, but some just don't get it.

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I had a customer not that long ago who had been using a machine similar to the one above to try and clean her carpets herself. She's never been a very good customer although she's a super nice lady. I don't count on her calling regularly to clean her carpet. Just won't happen. The machine was leaving so much moisture behind it was getting soaked into the backing a pad. Over time, of course, it began to stink up the whole house. She wound up replacing the carpet in her basement den because of it. So yeah, that little machine really saved her some money didn't it? I had another new customer more recently who had done the same basic thing to the carpet in her daughter's bedroom. I was able to solve that problem for her so she didn't have to replace the carpet. I try to educate my customers on this. Some listen, but some just don't get it.
people nature is to do it and test it before they learn a valuable lesson.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
And yet on my other thread I'm getting rammed up the ass that it's the tech not the tools that matter? So which is i?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
And yet on my other thread I'm getting rammed up the ass that it's the tech not the tools that matter? So which is i?
I think they are talking about a POS equipment with an operator being a homeowner that has no knowledge of cleaning carpets here so it's the tech and the tool. Most guys that have a few years of experience could take a Bissle or a Rug Dr and get good results if they had professional chemicals and a carpet rake, but it would take them a lot longer.

@Todd the Cleaner don't I remember you saying a few years back you was out of town and helped someone and used a Rug Dr?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
@Todd the Cleaner don't I remember you saying a few years back you was out of town and helped someone and used a Rug Dr?
Yes. We were both experienced carpet cleaners. He moved up to Utah and we didn’t have access to a truckmount (this was before I started my own business). We spent about 5 hours doing what we could have done in 1 hour using a truckmount and we did get good results. It was a white Berber carpet, it was dry within about 8 hours and it looked good. Our boss did let us take some prespray and a scrubber up there so it helped.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Well, there are tools and there are toys. The above so called machine is a toy at least as far as cleaning a carpet is concerned. It takes a certain amount of power to clean a carpet correctly. I've cleaned some carpets and upholstery well with as low as a 60 psi pump and a single 3 stage vacuum motor. There are some carpets I wouldn't even attempt that on though. When I started out I was using 100 psi Flojets and Shurflos for the first several years and believe me sometimes it was TOUGH to clean carpets with those machines while others they did just fine. Upholstery is a whole different animal and requires more skill than power. I've done some good work using low powered portables on upholstery. It takes far less psi and even less vacuum. Most upholstery fabrics are a tiny fraction of an inch thick so you don't need a massive amount of power to clean them well.

Today, I like to have at least a good 300 psi and adequate vacuum to recover most of the solution so the carpet will dry in a reasonable amount of time, but it's pretty rare for me to use a portable. Modern tools allow you to control the amount of moisture at the tool when cleaning upholstery. The machine matters, but so does the skill of the operator.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think they are talking about a POS equipment with an operator being a homeowner that has no knowledge of cleaning carpets here so it's the tech and the tool. Most guys that have a few years of experience could take a Bissle or a Rug Dr and get good results if they had professional chemicals and a carpet rake, but it would take them a lot longer.

I barely remember using a rental machine back in the early 90's. I think it was a Rug Dr. Fortunately it was just a small rental property that wasn't too bad to begin with and was a fairly easy clean. The Rug Dr. did an ok job on that particular carpet. I'd hate to tackle anything really trashed with one of those.